Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noob - My First Rig  (Read 1891 times)

Offline kmanshi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Stop coming to my barn. You're all FIRED!!
Noob - My First Rig
« on: August 09, 2004, 04:15:58 PM »
Rode NT5 (matched pair) -> MBOX -> ProTools 6.4 LE

Any opinions on this equipment.  I'm pretty new to recording, so I couldn't justify spending an ass load of money on what would be my first rig.  Not to mention I don't have an ass load of money.  Looking closer at the MBOX, I'm afraid I made my first mistake assuming I could transfer via usb at 48/24.  I think this only works when you have a digital input.  Anyone ever use an MBOX?  I've been hearing pretty good things.  At the very least, I can do 44.1/16 which should keep me plenty busy for a while.

I'd love to hear your opinions, and let me know what I might expect from the above gear.  If it's all a bunch of shite.... please break it to me gently.

And the same God you're afraid, is going to send you to hell, is the same God you will answer to when the pin hits the shell.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Noob - My First Rig
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 04:29:22 PM »
i know joe shambro here has used the mbox for 24 bit but i'm not sure if used the usb or the coax input. i'm pretty sure usb though. drop him a PM, his sign name is "joeshambro"

as for the sound of the MBOX the preamps in them are focusrites.  Focusrite makes some very nice outboard preamps for the studio so i'm sure these have to sound pretty decent.  plus if you get another portable mic pre you can 4mic configs or nice sbd/aud matrixes.

i won't comment on the rodes though.  some people like them a lot and others hate them. but go figure cause that goes for just about every other piece of gear here. ;) I haven't too many rode nt5 recordings but the ones i have heard are a little bright and brittle.  not sure about the MBOX focusrite pres but if they are "warm" sounding this help even out the sound if your recordings.  but who knows it's all about what sounds best to your ears.

good luck and enjoy taping! it's fun and more addictive than crack 8)

Offline kmanshi

• Taperssection Regular
  • Stop coming to my barn. You're all FIRED!!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 04:46:52 PM »
Nice.  Thanks for the contact.  I sent a PM, so we'll see how it goes.  I won't be crushed if I can't do 48/24, but that does mean I'll probably outgrow the MBOX faster than I would have liked to.  At some point, I want to do some DVD-a.

Thanks for being civil in reference to the Rodes.  I hope they turn out okay.  If anything, I learn how to discern a quality sound for future reference.   ;)  My buddy used an NT 1 on an album he did, and I really liked it.  It was all acoustic guitar and vocals, but I thought it sounded great.  Then again.... I didn't buy NT 1's. 

Thanks for the input!!!
And the same God you're afraid, is going to send you to hell, is the same God you will answer to when the pin hits the shell.

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 05:00:51 PM »
hey yall.

i replied privately, but for the purpose of anyone else needing the info...

you can do 24/48 in 2-channel via USB just fine.  the MBox will only do 2 channels at once, so you'll need to do any mixing outboard, if using more than 2-channel sources.  it'll take 24-bit s/pdif i believe.

the preamps sound good;  they're not neve, they're not grace, but they're certainly better than most outboard pres in their price range.  i'm convinced that the focusrite name contributes to the price of the mbox itself quite heavily. 

it's a great box, very stable, but it's also a power hog, at least mine was, drained my powerbook quicky.

anything else, feel free to pm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com