Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 blends L/R when using Line-IN  (Read 4002 times)

silverbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
JB3 blends L/R when using Line-IN
« on: August 20, 2004, 12:06:44 PM »
Just a heads up. Something I discovered today and I haven't read anything about it, of course I probably overlooked it.

So, I'm testing my equipment before heading out tonight and was going to use my JB3 as a backkup source for my lappie. Since I can't use the 24/96 signal from the V3 I was hooking up a line in on the JB3. I noticed level bars going up and down even when I had one of the left or right channels signals way down. So to test this some more I spoke into a microphone with only a signal going to the right channel but the JB3 records this to both the left and right channel. Same is true when sending just a left channel signal also. Just to make sure it wasn't my xlr > 1/8 cable...I pulled out a M1 DAT. I had no problems to report with the DAT. Left channel signal feed only recorded a left channel. Vise versa with the right channel.

I don't think it's my JB3 jack either. Feel free to test this out and play back your test recording from the JB3 through some headphones. Maybe it is my JB3 jack.

I tested the optical line-in and that passed.

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
Re: JB3 blends L/R when using Line-IN
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 01:09:00 PM »
I have done analog casette and vinyl transfers via the line-in on my jb3 and not seen this problem when scrutinizing wavs in SF7.0. 

Definately getting different data in each channel here.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

silverbullet

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 01:14:50 PM »
right, I've done many JB3 recordings and the looks on the graph are certainly different. No doubt. I don't understand it myself. Just try to send a left or right channel and then listen through a pair of headphone from the JB3 the test recording.

I also noticed while wearing the headphones something else. There is a little bit of difference in recording while monitoring in record mode on the JB3 while pushing the line-in jack a bit more or out a bit more. Pushing fully in there is a bit of a bass sound. Not very natural and probably pushed in too far. Seems to me that jack for line-in use is very picky. I was just recording silence in my room while messing with the jack to make sure I had the best connection.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 01:19:46 PM by silverbullet »

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 02:25:29 PM »
If you look at the line in/optical socket on the jb3, you will notice  that it is recessed into the side of the player, and that along the top side the top piece of the player sticks out. Some wider 1/8" plugs will not fit in all the way because they hit the top part which sticks out. You have to shave it down, or find a smaller cable.

If you look in the creative usenet group there are pics.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

silverbullet

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 04:40:07 PM »
I remember coming along a great tutorial page on the net with photos how to dremel down the protruding obstruction. I tried a quick search but darn if I can find it again. Still, I'm not totally conveinced that this is my problem. The jack looked in there very good and I'm getting both channels recorded. The JB3 recessed jack problem I though was more noticeable when you only got channel being recorded.

I'll dig up a small rt angle 1/8 input jack and see if that makes a difference.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 04:50:29 PM »
I also noticed while wearing the headphones something else. There is a little bit of difference in recording while monitoring in record mode on the JB3 while pushing the line-in jack a bit more or out a bit more. Pushing fully in there is a bit of a bass sound. Not very natural and probably pushed in too far. Seems to me that jack for line-in use is very picky. I was just recording silence in my room while messing with the jack to make sure I had the best connection.

Its probably your 1/8" mini-plug not seating correctly.  This would also explain your "blending" problem.  Play with any 1/8" headphone jack and you can usually pull it partially out and get a "mono-ish" sound.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

silverbullet

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 04:51:23 PM »
Problem solved.

The smaller jack distinquished the left and right channel clear as day.

Dang, didn't think that recessed overlip on the JB3 would ever be a problem for me  :P In the past I was using the small rt angle 1/8 plug coming from a SP bat. box. No problems there. But with thicker jack xlrs>stero 1/8 it becomes a problem for me.

thanks for making me double check that. And I thought I would never use my Dremmel again  ;)

silverbullet

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 04:54:20 PM »

And here is that url on how to fix the jack with a Dremel. Good photos.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 10:57:39 PM by Brian Skalinder »

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 04:56:26 PM »
fully a jack issue, like everybody else has said

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 04:59:29 PM »
Jsut a quick $.02 on the dremmel thing. If you don't have one, don't sweet it. I pulled the face off my jb3 and took a metal nail file (the one that is on the nail clipper) and filed it down. Worked like a charm!
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

silverbullet

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 05:01:36 PM »
good idea. Adding tape over the jack to prevent debris from falling in as per instructions is something I probably would not have thought to do.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 01:05:04 AM »
Jsut a quick $.02 on the dremmel thing. If you don't have one, don't sweet it. I pulled the face off my jb3 and took a metal nail file (the one that is on the nail clipper) and filed it down. Worked like a charm!

a good razor blade or x-acto knife will do the trick as well if you're willing to whittle it down.  Cuts down on the microscopic plastic dust as well.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com