Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PDA recording  (Read 7749 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
PDA recording
« on: June 14, 2003, 11:38:54 AM »
It appears the thing is about to actually come to fruition over on Len';s site.  Anyone have any thoughts about its viability for our purposes.  Anyone gonna take the plunge to find out?

Daryan

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:PDA recording
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2003, 12:00:50 PM »
I forget who it was, but I thought someone here/on the Oade board had an advance release of the gear and software to do an eval.  You still out there?  Am very curious about this option as it'll be a while before pure HD recorders are out and affordable (a la stripped down - no pre/ADC - SD 722)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 12:11:15 PM »
I believe the person on Oade is Craig Tarazski. I'm not sure if he reads this board. I don't think I've ever seen him post here, though.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 12:49:02 PM »
Sure he has, once in a while. That is, if his name is "Craig T"... :)
Armen

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 03:34:48 PM »
I think it was Jamie Lutch, the guy who did all of the testing on the nomad jukebox.  It appears the unit is about ready to go as it appears to be the case on the webpage.  For about 500 bucks one could easily have that thing up and running from what I could tell.  I await the HD recorder as well, but I am not willing to pay 2 grand for one, that would be financially stupid IMHO.  For 2 grand, I can record on a laptop and use the money for a v3 or something along those lines which will make the sound change, not just spit back at me what I know is already there!

Daryan

Tim

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2003, 05:39:11 PM »
I think it was Jamie Lutch, the guy who did all of the testing on the nomad jukebox.  It appears the unit is about ready to go as it appears to be the case on the webpage.  For about 500 bucks one could easily have that thing up and running from what I could tell.  I await the HD recorder as well, but I am not willing to pay 2 grand for one, that would be financially stupid IMHO.  For 2 grand, I can record on a laptop and use the money for a v3 or something along those lines which will make the sound change, not just spit back at me what I know is already there!

Daryan

it won't actually cost 2k. My bet is that it will be about 1300 just like a DAP1. The P1's msrp is up around 2k.

I have a laptop now and there is no way in hell I would run it in the field. What a freaking hassle! HD recorders are much more field friendly than any laptop.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2003, 06:11:09 PM »
plus, 2k isn't even unreasonable with a pre and a/d built in.  Obviously, we don't know what it will sound like, but this could be the ultimate low-profile recording setup.  If given the choice between a stripped down version at around 1k and the 722 at 2k, i would probably go with the 722.  

i'm pretty curious about field testing on the pda recorderas well.  are pocket pcs stable, reliable and powerful enough to dependably record at 24/96?  

-damon

Chris Friel

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2003, 09:31:16 PM »
Hopefully we will find out if Pocket PC's are stable enough to run 24/96 in the next few weeks. Im crossing my fingers as I ordered a Core-Sound CF card on Friday. I think it will be all good though. I have been using a Global Positioning System PDA device for about a year now that uses the same set-up as the PD-audio (CF Card Interface). I can't wait till I get my hands on the PDAudio in 3 to 4 weeks.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2003, 09:59:45 PM »
My somewhat dire prediction is that this will rapidly go the way as the CS 7-pin cables, in that it will function just fine, but there will be much better options out there.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Chris Friel

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2003, 10:23:31 PM »
My optimistic prediction is that PDA audio recording will take off from here. I have used a multitude of compact flash devices with a PDA for work (GPS + CAD stuff) and while it is not always 100% reliable the software and hardware is becoming better and better.  While dedicated HD recorders will likely become the standard I like the idea that I  can use a piece of electronics for more than 1 thing. I mean, I love my Mini-Me but it if I use it to tape a show 2 or 3 times  a week it still goes unused all those other hours. With a PDA I can tape a show, check me email and do 1000 other things.  

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2003, 10:46:36 PM »
...I like the idea that I  can use a piece of electronics for more than 1 thing. I mean, I love my Mini-Me but it if I use it to tape a show 2 or 3 times  a week it still goes unused all those other hours. With a PDA I can tape a show, check me email and do 1000 other things.  

If I wanted that, I would have just bought a VXpocket for my laptop and gone that route.  It's just two different schools of thought.  I'd rather have one device that performed near-flawlessly at one task than one that was mediocre at several.

Dif'rent strokes, I guess.

</technical discussion>

What line of work are you in that requires GPS and CAD?

-Lee
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Chris Friel

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2003, 11:05:45 PM »
Hey,

Ive got a VX pocket for my laptop too. 16/48 is the resolution and bit depth that I could get it functioning at. I like the idea that this interface can be used in a PDA and Laptop for 24/19?. Who know's though it might be a flop and not work.

Tech content
I worked as a civil engineer for a while and used those kind of tools. Now I recruit engineers for firms but I still keep up on all the toys.

Chris

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2003, 11:38:55 AM »
I would think that PDS'a would be relatively stable, don't run any where near as much in the background compared to a laptop, but time will tell.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2003, 05:24:12 PM »

I have a laptop now and there is no way in hell I would run it in the field. What a freaking hassle! HD recorders are much more field friendly than any laptop.

Tim,
what are the major hassles you speak of? I've been doing it for a bit and while it's a bit bulky to carry (which is why I have a wheeled bag)It's not much more of a hassle than any other device in my opinion that is. I wouldn't run it FOB, but since I never do it's not an issue. I'm just curious on why you woudn't run it at shows.

I also hope the PDA is a good working piece of eqipment, but I while I'm sure it's stable enough to run in the field. I am skeptical about runing 24/96 on it. Wouldn't it require a pretty huge flash card? I think as I already have my laptop and a DAT as backup I'll keep what I have. Maybe entertain a HD recorder, but it would be a while. I'd probably buy a PowerBook before buying anything else.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2003, 05:56:01 PM »
I believe the person on Oade is Craig Tarazski. I'm not sure if he reads this board. I don't think I've ever seen him post here, though.

I've had one on order since day one of the "presale" back in March.  I have yet to receive it since the drivers have been delayed a bit longer than they expected (seems like the norm for these types of things).  I've been corresponding with Len over the last day or so and should see the PDAudio-CF card soon (Linux, PCP2k2 and WinCE drivers may be available - he wasn't clear).  I'm going to run it on my laptop (although WDM drivers not expected for about 3 weeks) and an HP iPaq with dual PC card expansion pack running 2 5GB PC card memory cards (one at a time for 2+ hours each at 24/96).  I'll post more about it once I have it in my possession.

Matt, your Redman show is in the FLAC encoder right now.  Sorry for slacking on that.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com