Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 versus DAT recorders  (Read 10458 times)

Offline moby78

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
JB3 versus DAT recorders
« on: June 17, 2005, 11:35:52 PM »
Hi, could anybody tell me, which stuff is better? JB3 or DAT recorders? I haven´t heard any show taped by JB3, so I don´t know ...

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: JB3 versus DAT recorders
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 11:51:58 PM »
I hate to be "that guy" and tell you to use the search function, but this topic has probably been covered more than any other in the last 2 years.

But, to answer your question - there are obvious pros and cons for both. As for sound quality, which I think was the basis for your question, if your recording using either device's digital input (DAT - S/PDIF, JB3 - Optical), it should make no difference at all, as it's all just 1s and 0s. If you're planning on going analog in to either, it's debatable - let your ears decide.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 11:57:00 PM »
Go here, this should help.  The Archive can answer a ton of questions.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=29057.0

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 02:12:41 AM »
Ahhh...a newb.  Where to begin?  Why...the Where To Begin forum, of course!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline moby78

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 05:13:04 AM »
Ok ...However, this question is most important for me as a taper ... I need a small portable stuff not to have problems with security at entrance, so is JB3 so small that I could put it into my pants not to be caught by security due to it? :-\

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 05:16:16 AM »
It's the size of a discman cd player.  Many many people crotch these and don't get busted, I've done it plenty of times.  Great piece of gear for stealth taping because theres no tapes or discs to worry about switching or filling up.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline moby78

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 05:22:01 AM »
And how much does it cost? I´d like to have a cheaper equipment, cause I spent a lot of money for two MD recorders and the results are good, but not always. So, how much do you think is a new and used JB3?

Offline moby78

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 05:23:36 AM »
...and do the JB3 recordings really sound as good as the DAT ones?

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 05:35:41 AM »
it is all digital.... jb3 can record .wav @ 16bit / 48 which is on par with dat.

obviously the jb3 can do adc and gain, but you can get another box for that, or not, depending on your budget and stealth desires.

plan on about 200 for a good used 20gb jb3... but you may find it for less.

faq u
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Ray76

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 06:08:58 AM »
Ahhh...a newb.  Where to begin?  Why...the Where To Begin forum, of course!

LMAO Brian+T

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 12:28:12 PM »
...and do the JB3 recordings really sound as good as the DAT ones?

Digital-in, they sound identical.  Analog-in, some think the JB3 sounds as good as DAT, others do not.  You should decide for yourself:  I've hosted an analog-in comp before of the NJB3 v Sony D100, and since this question pops up often enough I've now posted a couple snippets in TS Reference.

Info
Source 1
Source 2

After listening, PM me to indicate which source you prefer and find out which source is JB3 and which is DAT.

And how much does it cost?

They're not available new, unless you luck out on EBay.  Check the Yard Sale forum for an indication of the going price.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2005, 01:07:06 PM »
And how much does it cost? I´d like to have a cheaper equipment, cause I spent a lot of money for two MD recorders and the results are good, but not always. So, how much do you think is a new and used JB3?

If you're looking to improve your recordings, the capture device isn't where I'd start for improvement.

Take into account these factors:

- Size
- Ease of use (ESP if you're stealthing)
- Reliability/Repair Costs
- Record lengths
- Media cost (DAT not applicable for the JB3)
- internal A/D (unless you're using an external A/D)
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2005, 02:52:56 PM »
my perfonal preference is the DAT an M1 is even smaller than the JB3 yet a little more expensive.  depending on your preamp or A/D you might to get some sort of converter box (ex. the Hosa or any other optical to coax converter) but if you have an optical out than this will not be a problem.  The 722 or 744 would be ideal  ;)
481(3)>722

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2005, 01:28:19 AM »
If you want better recordings get better mics.  Don't blame the recorder because the tape doesn't sound spectacular, it's more than likely the mics or what's between the mics and the recorder.  The JB3 gets lower initial levels than a dat is capable of because the ADC is a different voltage or something like that.  That's my ONLY complaint about the JB3.  There's no tapes/discs to buy, 6 hours record time on 2 rechargeable batteries, bit perfect transfers via usb/firewire to your pc.  The ADC is the only lame thing about the JB3 and of course it's size to some, but that's up to you.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline moby78

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2005, 05:26:24 AM »
If you want better recordings get better mics.  Don't blame the recorder because the tape doesn't sound spectacular, it's more than likely the mics or what's between the mics and the recorder.  The JB3 gets lower initial levels than a dat is capable of because the ADC is a different voltage or something like that.  That's my ONLY complaint about the JB3.  There's no tapes/discs to buy, 6 hours record time on 2 rechargeable batteries, bit perfect transfers via usb/firewire to your pc.  The ADC is the only lame thing about the JB3 and of course it's size to some, but that's up to you.

A friend of mine that usually makes  very good recordings told me to buy a better mic(s) first, as well. I use Sony ECM 719 mic, which is good, but not the best ...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com