Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT943SP, AT831SP questions  (Read 1890 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
AT943SP, AT831SP questions
« on: August 07, 2008, 10:43:23 AM »
I have a question concerning the mono microphones and recording concerts on my mini disc recorder. I pretty much determined that the one channel on my MD unit does not pick up and since I am not going to gain a true stereo sound, would it be that much different to use a mono mic like the ones I mentioned in the heading? I read that it is recommended to use a stereo mic for recording concerts but since my unit does not pick up half of the equation, would a mono mic work? I'm not especially picky on sound quality or true stereo sound, I just want to have a mic that produces a relatively clean sound but not a hole in my pocket.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: AT943SP, AT831SP questions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 04:44:31 AM »
I have a question concerning the mono microphones and recording concerts on my mini disc recorder. I pretty much determined that the one channel on my MD unit does not pick up and since I am not going to gain a true stereo sound, would it be that much different to use a mono mic like the ones I mentioned in the heading? I read that it is recommended to use a stereo mic for recording concerts but since my unit does not pick up half of the equation, would a mono mic work? I'm not especially picky on sound quality or true stereo sound, I just want to have a mic that produces a relatively clean sound but not a hole in my pocket.

Having read through your posts, it would appear that you don't have the budget/wish for better equipment, which is a shame..I've accidentally recorded mono a couple of time and never been happy with the results.

My suggestion would be to upgrade your equipment if you can afford it, a second hand iRiver maybe with SP-CMC2 mics and / battery box are reasonably affordble, rather than investing in a single mic (for probably similar outlay to two).

Best of luck!
Humbug
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline DaveH

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 09:59:39 AM »
Yes, my budget is limited and I keep kicking myself about the MD recorder I bought. (Not bashing MD recorders in general, just mine.) I only record two or three shows a year, so I just can't justify spending a lot of money and they are mostly for personal use anyway.

Just out of curiousity, what was the problem with the mono recordings?

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 02:54:11 AM »
Yes, my budget is limited and I keep kicking myself about the MD recorder I bought. (Not bashing MD recorders in general, just mine.) I only record two or three shows a year, so I just can't justify spending a lot of money and they are mostly for personal use anyway.

Just out of curiousity, what was the problem with the mono recordings?

A little difficult to explain - from memory, they sound flat and un-lifelike.

A suggestion you may like - you may be able to find someone to lend you some gear. I've got two sets of mics out on loan right now in the UK (i think one of them arrived back safe yesterday, haven't opened the parcel).

Also you may be able to get the MD repaired - anyone here got the expertise to help?
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline DaveH

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 09:15:37 AM »
Another question. My MD recorder does work in full stereo through the mic in input. I read that the Core Sounds Low Cost Binaurals with low sensitivity would work through the mic in, is this true? I realize the sound won't be on par with the higher end mics but as I've said before I don't have a lot to spend on gear. As much as I'd like to buy one of the digital recorders and one of the better mics, it just isn't going to happen. Like I said before, I only record two or three shows a year and prior to picking up the MD recorder I was used to the sound of the old walkman cassette recorders. In fact, most of my shows were recorded on a Radio Shack CTR-59 model. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com