Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Regarding windscreens...  (Read 1451 times)

Offline uk mutt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Regarding windscreens...
« on: October 08, 2005, 09:06:59 PM »
I just recently upgraded the 'ol digital camcorder to an external mic. Nothing special, just an Audio Technica ATR25 stereo mic. It comes with a foam windscreen, which still gives me some wind noise while recording outdoors. I was looking into getting a "windjammer", or "softy" as they are also known, but price and availibility seem to be rather prohibitive: I checked on E-Bay for starters, and found a number of units with all sorts of other bells and whistles, like additional grips and cables, as well as units that were only designed for particular mic models. But even the simple ones seem to start at well over a hundred dollars, and go up to as much as $250!!!

I'm just wondering, are these made of gold? I mean, they're just a fake fur material, right? Is this some material that can be picked-up somewhere for cheap, or is there some special acoustic assembly inside?  My wife is a costume designer/seamstress, and can certainly whip up something in less than a minute, if I can find out where to get the raw material. It seems like it would be worth saving two hundred bucks, no?

Offline uk mutt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Regarding windscreens...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 12:09:04 AM »
I could have sworn that I already replied to this one, but it doesn't seem to have shown up.

Anyway, thanks for the info! I thought it had to be something simple like that. The wife being a seamstress, actually had a box full of fake fur in the garage for me chose from. Picked out a lovely electric blue material, looks like I killed a Smurf and mounted it on the camcorder!!

She did have a charming Leopard skin print, but I thought that was going a little bit too far.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com