Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tascam IXJ2 stereo Line in for iPhone  (Read 3572 times)

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
tascam IXJ2 stereo Line in for iPhone
« on: August 12, 2014, 12:53:37 AM »
So I have been using a mobile 6 line in for stereo input on my phone when I stream and don't have access to my computer. I recently lost it in my room somewhere so was looking for another option. In my search I found this tascam. What drawed me to it is that it allows you to adjust levels on the device and has a USB slot to apply power letting you charge while streaming.

My one complaint with the Mobile in has alway been that it didn't let you charge at the same time and we all know how much juice the screen uses.

I'll post more on streaming with it when it arrives later this week.

http://tascam.com/product/ixj2/
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: tascam IXJ2 stereo Line in for iPhone
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:57:23 AM »
Your link says (right below the picture) "This model has been discontinued." I suppose that if people here are interested in it and there's no direct replacement model (I don't know whether that's the case or not), maybe they should start looking for it before supplies dry up.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:36:52 AM »
Your link says (right below the picture) "This model has been discontinued." I suppose that if people here are interested in it and there's no direct replacement model (I don't know whether that's the case or not), maybe they should start looking for it before supplies dry up.

Lots of them on ebay

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:28:40 PM »
A number of iPhone audio accessories with the former 30pin dock connector have been discontinued lately because they won't work with the iPhone 5 and the newer iPad models. This goes for the Rode iXY stereo mic as well as the three Tascam products: the iXJ2 mentioned in this post and the two plug-in stereo mics iM2 and iM2X. Prices for these items have dropped considerably over the last weeks.

I've bought a iXJ2 and tried it with my OKM ear mics with and without their A3 preamp and the results are quite good. The iXJ2 really is a clever little device. With its two 1/8" jack sockets it can be used with one stereo mic or line source connected to either of the two sockets or two mono mics using both sockets. The interface has a built-in limiter which can be stereo-linked by a switch at the side and it supplies switchable plug-in power for electret mics like the OKM.

I've also got the iM2X stereo plug-in XY (well, sort of XY) mic and it sounds far better than one would expect at its price. Of course, it doesn't compete with 'real' condenser mics and a 'real' audio interface but it gets damn near. One should however not forget to switch off the GSM portion of the iPhone because it interferes with the recording. This is also mentioned in the manual.

While none of this stuff is professional-grade material, it can produce quite decent results if you know what you're doing. Much like a camera, the best audio recorder is the one you've got in your pocket when you need one...

And there's certainly no less conspicuous way to make a recording that with an iPhone and two earpads (OKM ear mics).

Here's a short recording of a rain shower in my back yard made this week with the iM2X stereo mic thingy at almost full sensitivity (8/10):

http://www.fotoralf.be/audio/hofregen.mp3

Ralf
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:37:30 PM by fotoralf.be »
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:41:23 PM »

Lots of them on ebay

Exactly, didn't want to endorse a specific retailer.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 12:26:02 AM »
Tested using the built-in voice memo app on my ipad 2 and iPhone 5(with lightening adapter). it worked perfectly with both in recording stereo; tested by playing back an old recording that had known adjustments to both Chanel's and then lowering the volume using the input itself on both channels.

I'll be testing it in a recording environment this weekend while streaming to ustream. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com