Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MIcrotracker: Random White Noise Problem  (Read 8268 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
MIcrotracker: Random White Noise Problem
« on: October 25, 2005, 06:30:10 PM »
  open up the codetalkers when i get back to camp, and i can see the music, and two HUGE blocks of solid noise on both channels at two different places in the recording.(unit was not jostled during recording)

Crossposted from the "real-life experiences" thread, but that and the bug report thread are so long I didn't want this to get buried.

I got a 3 sec block of Full-scale noise in my recording last weekend, taking SPDIF from a V3 at 24/44.1. Dane-elec CF card, new firmware.

1st set, noise, 2nd set no problems. Each set ~45 min or so. Noise occurred about 30 min into set 1.

Scared the crap out of me when I was listening to it!!   :crazy:
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline L Ron Hoover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I figure the odds be 50/50"
Re: MIcrotracker: Random White Noise Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 08:37:37 PM »
Hmmm. I was gonna be brave and run V3>MT all by its lonesome this weekend. I'd better get some cables and run the MSBM1>DAT just in case.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 09:26:51 PM »
Gotta narrow down possible causes.  I'd start by:

• swap with a known-good cable
  • try a different coax S/PDIF source to rule out the V3 as the cause
  • try a different recorder with the same V3/coax cable to rule out the MT
  • try different media
But my bet's on the Dane CF card.  I take it back, for some reason I thought JR ran a Dane card, too.  JR - what CF card did you use when you ran into your trouble?  Any update on trying to track down the problem?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 09:35:47 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 09:30:40 PM »
i haven't had a chance to get the comps with different gear yet.  the card i have is a kingston 4gig 48x
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 09:33:09 PM by John R »
we all live downstream.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 10:56:48 PM »
Gotta narrow down possible causes.  I'd start by:

• swap with a known-good cable
  • try a different coax S/PDIF source to rule out the V3 as the cause
  • try a different recorder with the same V3/coax cable to rule out the MT
  • try different media
But my bet's on the Dane CF card.  I take it back, for some reason I thought JR ran a Dane card, too.  JR - what CF card did you use when you ran into your trouble?  Any update on trying to track down the problem?

FWIW: I have run my V3 SPDIF out with this coax cable to both a D8 and USBPre>Lappy over a hundred times and have never had this happen.
I am positive that it is due to the MT or the CF card.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 12:08:44 AM »
I have had this happen as well. 6GB Microdrive. Mine was much longer than a few seconds too! I sent a sample mp3 as a bug to m-audio and they replied thay they knew it was a problem. Who knows.

Edit:

I will elaborate a little more. I was at Panic 10-14-05 and the Truckers opening set turned out okay from what I remember. There might have been some white noise at the very end, no music affected.

During the Panic sets I experienced drop outs and several areas of white noise. Mostly near the end of the sets. I have no explanation for what caused them other than a 'loose' cable from holding and slightly moving the player while recording. Cable stayed snug, but it might have turned itself while moving it gently? I don't know. I looked for my mp3 sample but it has been deleted since I sent the bug to m-audio, but I am certain we are experiencing the same problem.

Edit 2:

I originally reprted it in this thread.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=51891.45
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 12:29:45 AM by martin »
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline musicsherlock

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 12:29:10 PM »
haven't analyzed any of my test files yet...has anyone reported similar findings when recording analog in?

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 01:17:05 PM »
I have had this happen as well. 6GB Microdrive. Mine was much longer than a few seconds too! I sent a sample mp3 as a bug to m-audio and they replied thay they knew it was a problem. Who knows.

Edit:

I will elaborate a little more. I was at Panic 10-14-05 and the Truckers opening set turned out okay from what I remember. There might have been some white noise at the very end, no music affected.

During the Panic sets I experienced drop outs and several areas of white noise. Mostly near the end of the sets. I have no explanation for what caused them other than a 'loose' cable from holding and slightly moving the player while recording. Cable stayed snug, but it might have turned itself while moving it gently? I don't know. I looked for my mp3 sample but it has been deleted since I sent the bug to m-audio, but I am certain we are experiencing the same problem.

Edit 2:

just curious, what is the rated speed on your microdrive?
And what bit depth/sampling rate were you running at?

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 02:29:47 PM »
Several pdaudio users have experienced the "white noise" when running 24bit.  You can recover it, usually with a dropout at each border of the block of noise.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 03:27:54 PM »

Edit:

Edit 2:

just curious, what is the rated speed on your microdrive?
And what bit depth/sampling rate were you running at?

I am not sure of the exact speed, but it supports up to 9.4MB/sec. I was recording at 16/48 for both acts.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline musicsherlock

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 03:39:44 PM »

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 10:05:15 AM »
Several pdaudio users have experienced the "white noise" when running 24bit.  You can recover it, usually with a dropout at each border of the block of noise.

I am one of the lucky ones who had the white noise problem.  It was explained to me that essentially a sample gets dropped and that portion of the music "shifts" and becomes noise since it isn't synched up anymore.   I don't know all the correct technical terms, but it's kind of the equivalent of bumping the needle on vinyl....you get that screech and when it stops, you get the music playing again.

It can be fixed in wavelab by shifting the music by one sample.....it's not hard, but you will most likely have artifacts at the beginning and end of the fix.    PM me if you want me to put together a short guide on how to do this and I'll do it this weekend.  I would have to suspect that what you have happening here is the exact same thing that was happening with the PDAudio card and it would certainly be worth a shot.
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 06:20:56 PM »
well, happened again at Lotus last night, a few secs of full-scale white noise, same thing, 24/44.1 with the dane-elec 4 GB CF, taking SPDIF from the V3.

I at first thought it was from the dane-elec CF card but someone John R told me that the same thing has occurred to him with 45x rated Kingston CF media. 

The channel swap and lack of auto-split I can live with, but this problem sucks, I really don't like that I can not depend on this device to pull a glitch-free recording.  :(   
Looks like it is back to the trusty ol' D8 for a while...

« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 06:26:24 PM by BC »

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 06:27:55 PM »
I'm still guessing it's the card.  I have had zero problems with my Sandisk Ultra II 4 gig card, which is rated at 60X.  all of my recordings have been via S/PDIF from the V3, and the last couple at 24/48.  In fact, tonight, I'm taking it out without my D8. (but, Scott and I are running a comparison of the V3 A/D at 24 bit and the ad2k+ at 24 bit, so in the event that my recording messes up, we'll still have his V3 > ad2k > laptop recording.)  Anyway, I would suggest buying a faster card.

the lack of any problems on my end lead me to this conclusion.  that's the only thing different from our setups, right?  at least, that's the only thing I can think of.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 06:28:11 PM »

I am not sure of the exact speed, but it supports up to 9.4MB/sec. I was recording at 16/48 for both acts.

analog in from the Sax?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com