Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: jb3 external power II...  (Read 73034 times)

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: jb3 external power II...
« Reply #210 on: October 25, 2005, 03:34:32 PM »
http://www.bixnet.com/usbbatterybox.html

would this power a jb3? anyone use something like this ?

No.

It may work if you rig up a USB > Adaptaplug "B" cable but you could build a 4AA sled w/ cable for much less if you are going to the trouble of making a cable.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #211 on: October 25, 2005, 04:10:29 PM »
I just picked up this : http://www.bixnet.com/hicamiexbapa.html

Has pretty much everything that the Digital concepts product has plus more power (4400mAh @ 5v).

The thing that sold me over the Digital Concepts product is that it was actually instock (i looked everywhere for the other) and i could get it before leaving for vegas.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #212 on: October 27, 2005, 12:16:04 AM »
I just picked up this : http://www.bixnet.com/hicamiexbapa.html

Has pretty much everything that the Digital concepts product has plus more power (4400mAh @ 5v).

The thing that sold me over the Digital Concepts product is that it was actually instock (i looked everywhere for the other) and i could get it before leaving for vegas.

this looks pretty good, will it do the trick?
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #213 on: October 27, 2005, 12:09:45 PM »
Well, to condition it, I ran it down on my nomad...
ran for ~17 hours
recharged in 3
I'm not too worried but i'll give the lowdown after i put it through its real test @ vegoose this weekend.
All day @ the fest + moe latenight.
mic > wires > recorder

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #214 on: October 27, 2005, 12:42:26 PM »
good luck Row Jimmy, Ill be interested to see what happens
 >:D
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #215 on: November 01, 2005, 09:53:12 AM »
Well, I don't think i even began to push it to the limits.
That said, it ran the jb3 without a hitch. during the course of the day I never powered down, just picked up my bag and ran it over to the next patch.
mic > wires > recorder

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #216 on: November 13, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »
This is a much better way to power your jb3 $29.99 from Fred Myer comes with the ends to fit almost everything has a 5volt output setting and is rechargable from the wall and from your car.
4000mah lithium-ion with a little meter like the wallyworld battery only smaller.

I bought one  and it seems to work fine I dont have any shows in the near future anyone got run times?

+ t BLoodyJACK
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24
Mics:Schoeps Mk4,   Beyerdynamic ck930(for sale)  ,Sound Professionals - SP-CMC-8 , Marcsounds binaurals  Pre amps: Beyerdynamic MV-1 ,  Naiant IPA  Recorders:  Edirol R-44, Edirol R-09HR, Roland  R-05

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #217 on: November 14, 2005, 04:22:40 AM »
for RowJimmy
So I got one of those batt. packs, and I linked it to the JB3 with the smaller of the two yellow adapters, got the polarity lined up, tried both cables (big and small) out ofthe batt. and
1. the small yellow doesnt fit in all the wa, and its the only one that remotely fits it
do you recommend going to radioshack to get another adapter
2. Is there a secret for which side to use, the switch on the back?

Each time I try, the batt picture on the JB3 stays the same, suggesting that there is no batt. pack being used  :-\

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2005, 10:17:44 AM »
the small yellow one is the one to use. it does not go in all the way which worried me at first but, it found it to be snug and it stayed in reliably while i was in the field (all weekend at Vegoose.) Rat Shack MAY have a replacement that is shorter but, I haven't looked. (Let me know if you do!)

Be sure you have the polarity correct, i don't know what will happen if you don't but I know that it works when you do. Connect the jb3 to the side of the battery that does NOT connect to the wall. (thats the laft side if you are looking at the front of the battery.

As for the switch on the back, be sure it is set to 5v as indicated on the label on the back.

when hooked up, it should indicate AC power is in use. I ran without the internal batteries all weekend.

BTW this one does have a capacity indicator on the top (4 leds indicating, <25%, 25-50%, 50-75% & 75-100% respectivly). And check out the size.

(sorry for the sh*tty image qual)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 10:19:38 AM by rowjimmy »
mic > wires > recorder

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2005, 01:14:51 PM »
thanks RowJimmy, and for the personal message  8)

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #220 on: February 06, 2006, 02:28:44 PM »
so I have a couple of 9.6v rc batts but no charger...

can I feed it 9v at 1000mA from a ua5 wall wort and just pull it after 4 hours or so.  or is this gonna kill one of my batteries?  I'm gonna grab a smart charger but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline (((KB)))

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #221 on: March 05, 2006, 06:53:10 PM »
Does anyone know if this could work for a JB3?

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SW0XX.htm

(((KB)))
C3000B>GP-DMIC20>ODL312>NJB3
One of my old fav's:
http://www.archive.org/details/antibalas2004-03-27

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #222 on: March 05, 2006, 09:46:07 PM »
Does anyone know if this could work for a JB3?

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SW0XX.htm

(((KB)))

+T for the link...

That is a nice packaging of a standard "buck boost" regulator, that uses one chip, two capacitors, and one inductor.  A fair price and a convenient packaging IMO.

But my advice for the JB3 is to try to get a 7.2V LiIon or NiMH battery and just run a standard (7805) passive regulator.  The power savings would be negligable.

I guess the active regulator might be good for a 9 or 12V input, but why not just get a 7.2V (two cell) Lithium battery?

By the way, I had a problem with the ESA 9V batteries: The battery itself would cut out if too much current was drawn (eg., running JB3 and charging its internal battery).  The ESA batteries are constructed with 7.2V internal and a *step up* to 9V.  So, I just soldered to the batteries themselves for 7.2V.

*Big caution* here, though.  Some people say that you should not mess with LiIon cells (eg., short, charge directly etc).  So, right now I'm using the builtin charge circuit, but not the output/step up stage.  I just run the 7.2V into a 7805 in then into my NJB3.

Richard

PS: hey I think my bag just caught fire!!
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline (((KB)))

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #223 on: March 06, 2006, 01:07:53 PM »
+T for the link...
No problem... thought it might be useful for someone. This company makes an adjustable switching regulator as well.
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SWADJ.htm
That is a nice packaging of a standard "buck boost" regulator, that uses one chip, two capacitors, and one inductor.  A fair price and a convenient packaging IMO.

But my advice for the JB3 is to try to get a 7.2V LiIon or NiMH battery and just run a standard (7805) passive regulator.  The power savings would be negligable.

I guess the active regulator might be good for a 9 or 12V input, but why not just get a 7.2V (two cell) Lithium battery?

By the way, I had a problem with the ESA 9V batteries: The battery itself would cut out if too much current was drawn (eg., running JB3 and charging its internal battery).  The ESA batteries are constructed with 7.2V internal and a *step up* to 9V.  So, I just soldered to the batteries themselves for 7.2V.

*Big caution* here, though.  Some people say that you should not mess with LiIon cells (eg., short, charge directly etc).  So, right now I'm using the builtin charge circuit, but not the output/step up stage.  I just run the 7.2V into a 7805 in then into my NJB3.

Richard

PS: hey I think my bag just caught fire!!

I might be over engineering this whole thing, but my plan was to use my 12v battery pack (via cig lighter port or 9v port) stepped down to a 5v. I attached a shot of the SLA packs which I've been using for about 6 yrs now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

(((KB)))
C3000B>GP-DMIC20>ODL312>NJB3
One of my old fav's:
http://www.archive.org/details/antibalas2004-03-27

Offline Rleeee

• Taperssection Regular
  • Lets Dance, Sylvia, Dance!
« Reply #224 on: April 07, 2006, 06:21:20 PM »
This is a much better way to power your jb3 $29.99 from Fred Myer comes with the ends to fit almost everything has a 5volt output setting and is rechargable from the wall and from your car.
4000mah lithium-ion with a little meter like the wallyworld battery only smaller.

I'm a little slow so please be bare with me. Can I just plug this in to the JB3, or do I need to sift through ends to find the right one. And what would happen if I chose wrong.

R.
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Kind Kables Chameleon > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Concert Mod)

No Stand:  AT831s > CA Bat 2B Battery Box > Tascam DR-07 

" Poor people need MUISC too! "

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com