Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's your thoughts on Oktava Mk012 's?  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Tye

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • No news is good gnews without Gary Gnu
What's your thoughts on Oktava Mk012 's?
« on: March 14, 2004, 12:35:28 PM »
I found a brand new matched pair on ebay and I was curious for those that use these how are in the field. Are they good in both small clubs and outdoor shows?

Right now I am between ADK A51's and the Oktava MK012 so far people seem to be in favor of the ADK's
I wanted to get some feedback from some Oktava users so what do you think?
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re:What's your thoughts on Oktava Mk012 's?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 01:42:04 PM »
While it is fully possible to get a good pair from anyone on ebay, many people have had good comments about oktava products coming from the ebay seller "recordingservices".  apparently he hand-matches his stuff, and if it's true, then that's much better than buying random mics. www.soundroom.com tests all their mics/caps and matches them, you are garuanteed a quality product from, but definitely cost more.  If I had the money I would've gone through soundroom.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Sugarite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 03:00:45 PM »
Oktava's quality control is attrocious.  *If* you get a properly matched pair, they're great neutral all-purpose mics, until they stop working.  Apparently the Sound Room claims the QC has improved, we'll find out in 3 years or so.  I wouldn't trust eBay sellers to have new "better QC" mics, since the old stock was dumped really cheaply, $49/ea at Guitar Center for example.  You'll pay about 10x that for a reliably matched pair.

I recommend anyone considering MC012's to check out Rode NT5's or an NT4, which I think are better suited for dealing with the shortcomings of compression horns.  There's eBay sellers unloading those cheaply too, and they're 100% reliable for a factory match and solid build.  My NT4 once took a nose-dive when a stand was knocked over, 8' drop capsule-first onto hardwood - not even a mark, and they still match.

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 10:04:45 PM »
noting can beat the quality of these mics for the price.  i run them currently.  I piad $100 and they sound better than the C1000s that cost me around 350.  

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 01:24:04 AM »
you'd reccomend the Rodes over the oktavas for quality control?  are you kidding me?  I've seen way more Rode's fall apart over the years and have major problems arise than I've ever seen with the oktavas.

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 02:46:12 PM »
how about the superlux mics compared to octavas?
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 05:02:42 PM »
let me throw another mic into the ring- studio projects c4s.  take a look at my review in this forum

Offline Sterling

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 05:57:01 PM »
I run Oktavas and for the money I think they sound great. Although...adn this is big....it took me three trips and three, yes three sets of oktava's until I found a pair that I did not have a propblem with. That being said, if they work then they are good for themoney IMO but my eyes are open for upgrades.

SS

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 08:57:41 PM »
FYI... I spoke with a manager at the GC in Plymouth Meeting, PA store about the MC012. They didn't have them at that store, but he said there were some left at other stores. (I think at the $99/pair price, but don't quote/hold me to it.) If you are interested and don't live near  GC, call one or go online to the website an send them an email. It took them 2 days to get back to me so don't expect miracles. Too bad, because I already ordered my Superluxes an  hour before he called  8)
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com