Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need Schoeps advice  (Read 7629 times)

LCY

• Trade Count: (0)
Need Schoeps advice
« on: March 30, 2004, 07:31:52 PM »
Need quick advice on some Schoeps. I'll be purchasing before price increase on 4/1. Thinking of 4V's. Regular bodies or XT? I do section and FOB, mostly medium to smaller sized venues. My section taping is usually the lawn at an outdoor venue and I stay away from large indoor arenas. Using a V3. Thanks for any advice.
LCY

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Need Schoeps advice
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 07:49:42 PM »
some people tend to lean towards the other side of the cardiod spectrum for outdoors, that is, they go with subcards or omnis, but I don't own schoeps and have no personal experience.

and you s/n is very similar to kcy :hmmm:

KC5

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 07:52:20 PM »
Need quick advice on some Schoeps. I'll be purchasing before price increase on 4/1. Thinking of 4V's. Regular bodies or XT? I do section and FOB, mostly medium to smaller sized venues. My section taping is usually the lawn at an outdoor venue and I stay away from large indoor arenas. Using a V3. Thanks for any advice.
LCY

+t for considerin' the best mics out there ;D  the xt's are for those who wish to record higher frequencies--ie. 40kHz.  schoeps doesn't mention the 4v's as capable of 40kHz, if that's something you're considering.

LCY

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 08:08:15 PM »
Good. I wasn't aware of 4V's not coping with the XT's. And to reply to the other post, I do intend on running omni's outdoors, but down the road a bit.

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 08:16:51 PM »
i'll start out by saying i've never run schoeps, but if i was going to get schoeps with just one set of caps i'd definately go with the mk41 cap.  i think they're the most versatile of the schoeps caps and if you want to invest in another set of caps later you could add a set of mk21s.  i've never found the mk4s or mk4vs to be all that great, especially the mk4vs which i find to be a bit shrill sounding.

jnorman34

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 08:19:35 PM »
i had a pair of cmc64s, and i would recommend the regular mic bodies rather than the XT, and i would suggest the mk41 caps for your use.  

LCY

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 08:23:30 PM »
Hypers? Not really into that sound. I really want to start with cards and then omni's later on. I've heard the 4V's are bright, maybe the 4's are the way to go.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 10:08:26 PM »
if you do decide to go with the mk4s there are a matched set for sale in the used gear section.  here's the link:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=16280

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 09:22:16 AM »
keep in mind the mk41 does not sound like your typical hyper. I have run the 41 and 4's, I pretty much choose the mk41's over the 4's every time. Take a look at the mk5's, get the card and omni cap in one, might fit your needs nicely.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 01:55:58 PM by creekfreak »
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 12:24:58 PM »
yeah, MK5s are sweet!!
Id go with the MK41 or MK4v.  The MK4v is nice since it kind of evens out the richness of the Schoeps sound, as far as the high end goes.  
Everyone's ears are different though, so it's a hard call!  What do you like most?
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 01:41:56 PM »
keep in mind the mk41 does not sound like your typical hyper. I have run the 41 and 4's, I pretty much choose the mk4's over the 41's every time. Take a look at the mk5's, get the card and omni cap in one, might fit your needs nicely.

might be because the 41s aren't hypers ;)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 01:51:43 PM »
Is there a diff. between super and hyper? I thought they were the same? Maybe not with Schoeps?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 01:56:50 PM »
thats what I meant by saying that the 41 is not your typical hyper  ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2004, 01:58:28 PM »
thats what I meant by saying that the 41 is not your typical hyper  ;D

;D

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2004, 02:05:23 PM »
Is there a diff. between super and hyper? I thought they were the same? Maybe not with Schoeps?

Audix sells their MICROS line with both hyper cardiod and super cardiod elements as options.  I don't know about other companies

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2004, 07:02:20 PM »
my understanding is that supercard doesn't have the rear lobe that hypercard does.  The tradeoff is that it's a slightly wider pickup pattern in the front lobe (between true hyper and card, but much closer to hyper).
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Tim

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2004, 07:07:19 PM »
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2004, 07:08:45 PM »
I guess I'll add that while I have heard good 4v tapes I prefer the 4's or 41's to the 4v's. The highend rise in the V's can be a bit bright in some situations.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

KC5

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2004, 07:30:47 PM »
i've heard plenty of 4v tapes usually with a vms or billbox and mod sbm-1.  and allmost always run fob.  maybe it's the modsbm-1 or running fob, but i like the 4v sound in these recordings.  of course, my favorite cap is the 41 ;D

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2004, 09:18:10 PM »
Sounds like the 5's are what you want.
I still think the 41's are the best cap Schoeps makes...although I say that while I am pondering how to steal Jason's 5's...   ;)  :P

Dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2004, 09:52:07 PM »
Good luck Dave....I've got them locked up until Vegas ;)

Thanks....Jason
"Music soothes the beast in a man"...Joseph Stalin

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Schoeps MK21/MK41/MK5/M222's>Elvo NT222's>Grace V3>SD 722

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2004, 10:36:13 PM »
so sideshow,...... do schmeps sound like that front tire? :P
:fight:
:lol:
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2004, 11:59:27 PM »
so sideshow,...... do schmeps sound like that front tire? :P
:fight:

I can dance to them ;)

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2004, 12:12:23 AM »
no wonder your opinion  of them is so high, gotta rock in that box d00d!

where do them mics go?

You know you are jealous ;) I'll hook you up......
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 12:14:24 AM by sideshowbob »

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2004, 12:20:29 AM »
speakers ;D

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2004, 12:26:16 AM »
Turn that crap down!!!!  ;D

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2004, 12:31:41 AM »
ahhh, a properly sized avi! :lol:

stfu punk!

;)

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2004, 12:47:38 AM »
Hopefully, since you've highjacked this thread, the poster has had his schoeps questions answered.
If they have any further questions I be sure to post your cell # for further questions ::)

ready to call uncle yet? or shall I continue the barrage?

I like the MK5's. I have used them indoors and out in different circumstances. The switchable feature is very nice too. My Phish Miami shows are up somewhere, so look for those if you want to hear the 5's indoors. Also, look for Scott's MK5 split omni source on etree, and Dave's split omni Phish Utah from the summer. Overall, I love them.  I have the 21's, 41's, and 5's and am quite drawn to the 5's.

I think our power hungry moderator should have looked into the CCM5's, but what do I know ::) ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 12:52:26 AM by sideshowbob »

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2004, 01:37:32 AM »
If they have any further questions I be sure to post your cell # for further questions ::)

I have your number too ;)

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2004, 02:02:51 AM »
thats camden right, my stand to the right with the green cables, back then i was running mp-2>adc-20 borrowed from nick culbreth, im such a gear slut and hope to come to the darkside at some point
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2004, 02:13:15 AM »
thats camden right, my stand to the right with the green cables, back then i was running mp-2>adc-20 borrowed from nick culbreth, im such a gear slut and hope to come to the darkside at some point

Chris...Yes, Camden :)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2004, 09:14:03 AM »
Thanks, sideshow. Your recommendation is exactly what I have decided on. 41's to start, mk5's to follow and maybe mk21's down the road. Give my old NakCM 1000's a rest and plug something nice into my V3. Thanks everyone.
lcy and ts

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 57 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com