Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Output connector?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Fiona

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Output connector?
« on: November 10, 2004, 04:43:24 PM »
Newbie question...

What's the difference between XLRM (power module) and Integral 3-pin XLRM-type? Would both work with a JB3? (I'm thinking of getting an AT3035 or ATM31a or AT831b).

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Output connector?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 04:55:19 PM »
Newbie question...

What's the difference between XLRM (power module) and Integral 3-pin XLRM-type? Would both work with a JB3? (I'm thinking of getting an AT3035 or ATM31a or AT831b).

XLRM (power module) means that the power module and not the mic has the XLR output.  example: AT831b. the mic is attached via a cable to the power module (AT8531) which outputs via XLRM.

Integral 3-pin XLRM means that the mic/mic body itself outputs via XLRM. the XLRM is "integrated" into the mic. think of a standard mic w/XLRM out. example: AT3035, AT4051, etc.

otherwise, the XLRM is XLRM. no difference size wise.

marc
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 05:18:22 AM by leegeddy »
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Fiona

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 05:06:23 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, Marc!  :)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 05:15:46 PM »
But, they won't work directly with an NJB3.  You'll need to get a preamp that 1) powers the mics, and 2) performs some kind of merge of two mics into one cable that terminates in a 1/8" optical or analog plug to go into the NJB3 line in.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Fiona

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 12:43:44 PM »
Thanks for the tips pfife and jk labs. Good thing there's this forum to help us choose the right mic.

But now it's getting too complicated for me (newbie...).

What if I used an AKG c1000s instead, imitating the AKG C1000S > Sony D8 gear on http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4237.0 ? Would the quality of recording live classical vocal music (opera) be good enough without using battery boxes, preamps, etc?

Cheers.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 12:48:52 PM »
Thanks for the tips pfife and jk labs. Good thing there's this forum to help us choose the right mic.

But now it's getting too complicated for me (newbie...).

What if I used an AKG c1000s instead, imitating the AKG C1000S > Sony D8 gear on http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4237.0 ? Would the quality of recording live classical vocal music (opera) be good enough without using battery boxes, preamps, etc?

Cheers.

I don't have any personal use with those, but I am pretty sure they have batteries in them, so you don't need a battery box.  What you will still need is something to merge 2 mics into one stereo signal.

What you might want to look at is the rode NT4.  I had one, and it was OK, but I have since upgraded.  I've said some negative things about it on here before, but it does have its purposes, esp. for people on a budget.  You can run the NT4 directly into an NJB3 with one of the cables they supply.

Actually, I take that back- you'll need to get a little adapter/extender for the cable where it plugs into the NJB3 because the housing around the input on the njb3 is too small for the connector on the cable to plug in.  But that's like a $2 radioshack part.  NBD.

That mic has a battery in it, so no battery box is needed.  And you control the record levels on the NJB3, if you have current enough firmware.  I got my NT4 new on ebay for around $250, I believe.

hth
~Andrew

« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 12:50:37 PM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 01:11:46 PM »
the C1000s will work as well using internal 9v batteries, however you may find that some line transformers would make the signal level a little hotter...
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Fiona

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 03:08:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help! Will print this out and other threads as well... and go shopping. :) Have a nice weekend!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com