Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MG Question  (Read 2681 times)

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
MG Question
« on: November 22, 2004, 06:19:59 PM »
This seems like a silly question, but I'm trying to get my documentation right before I make this change in my database.  Are these two mics the same: mg m200 and mg 200?  I've seen different tapers document both of these way, and I think the mg 200 implies the m200 cap, but wasn't 100% sure. 

I'll have a similar question for the schoeps users soon too, but I have to consolidate all the different schoeps ways I've seen first  :P

Thanks!

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: MG Question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 06:23:53 PM »
mg200 and m200 - I have seen both used to show MG SMS2000 bodies and M20 (card caps).  You will also see variations of 210 (hypers) and (270) omnis.  the M300 is the fixed card mic

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 06:43:00 PM »
mg200 and m200 - I have seen both used to show MG SMS2000 bodies and M20 (card caps).  You will also see variations of 210 (hypers) and (270) omnis.  the M300 is the fixed card mic

Ah ok.  That should help me keep a little consistency.  I even had sms 2000/200 as a different mic than the m200 and mg200. 

Thanks!

--hoyt   
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 01:23:05 PM »

Nick is correct. Per the MG site the SMS2000 series mic bodies use the M20, M21 & M27 capsules. When matched with the SMS2000 bodies they are designated as M200, M210 & M270's. Folks just like to put the MG in-front of the 200 # or M200 #.

MG's FUCKIN A!!

LoS
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline lyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 08:01:11 PM »
Sam, you're a maniac! You should work as a salesman for MG! Hope the Mule show came out nice. I was late and brought my stuff but didn't bother.  Like to get this show from ya. Thanks,

Lyle

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 11:56:06 AM »
Doctor, I think Sammy has OCD  ;)

Ever since he bot those mics, that is all he (and sometimes I) can talk about.  I tried to get the pair at utahtaper was selling but scooter got to them b4 I could.  I ended up getting goose's 481s.  I have been listening to tapes made with the 481s in the environment I like to tape in (nightclubs).  One show in particular, a Built to Spill Tractor show 7-25-2003, where the mics were run FOB placed willy nilly under knapsack shoulder straps, sound really exceptional.  My friend's shoulders were shot afterwards.  I mananged to run with my friend at Built to Spill a couple months nites later when they did the Pyramid Brewery and got to run the CM-300s along side with the 481s.  No comparison, pound for pound cleaner and sonically solid than my copy, the transient details were simply amazing.  Despite my leanings toward MGs, I completey am happy that I got the AKGs.  They actually will be more versatile for me if I decide to play music in Japan.  The other flip side is that we got the MGs, AKGs and the Naks all at our disposal.  Quite the quiver of mics for the rough and tumble scene in Seattle!

- ANDY

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 10:01:46 PM »
Sammy,
glad those Geffels are working well for you guys. When Scott and I had them I loved them. I wish I had the cash for another set. THEY RULE!
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 07:37:33 PM »
Sam, you're a maniac! You should work as a salesman for MG! Hope the Mule show came out nice. I was late and brought my stuff but didn't bother.  Like to get this show from ya. Thanks,

Lyle
Sammy,
glad those Geffels are working well for you guys. When Scott and I had them I loved them. I wish I had the cash for another set. THEY RULE!

Dr. Lyle,
Jah the Mule tapes sounds pretty insane!  ;D That is the first time I have seen a band in the Showbox setup their SBD in-font of the house SBD. Then to allow us to clamp upfront of the Mule board was way cool (although involving combat taping techniques  :P). Bottom line best sounding tape I have pulled todate at the Showbox! LMK if you need copies....

RRobar,
A million thanks to you and Scott for passing on the sweet deal on those mics!!!  ;)  I have been most pleased with their results. There are some tricks involved when setting up for different conditions to maximize the sound quality, but once you get that down they sure do perform!! I would be very interested in running them via a MMe sometime to see the diff between my V3. I hear it adds more warmth, however I get PLENTY of warmth via the V3. In fact I should be using the HPF setting more often in some of the clubs here in Seattle to cut down the lowend boom for shitty sounding clubs.

LoS
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com