Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Connecting Zoom H4n to Peavey PV 14 Board?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline HarpNinjaMike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • My Webpage
Connecting Zoom H4n to Peavey PV 14 Board?
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:45:40 AM »
I have a Zoom 4Hn and a Peavey PV 14 (manual can be found here: http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pdf/man/m_631369.pdf).  I am wondering the best way to take a feed from the board?  This is for recording live shows with my own band.  I think what I want to do, until I can get better mics, is use the internal mics and a feed from the board - which will not include bass or drums.

So for now, the plan is to set the recorder up between the bass and drums and mix with the feed from the board.  I have no idea if it is possible, but it would be cool to use both inputs on the H4n to take a feed for the vocals and a feed for the instruments.

THanks!
Mike

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
Re: Connecting Zoom H4n to Peavey PV 14 Board?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:02:40 AM »
I would use the XLR in on the H4n coming from either the XLR main outs , the 1/4" main outs. The manual page 12 says both the XLR and 1/4" outs can be used simultaneously.

You could also use the tape outs using a rca>dual 1/4" cable.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline HarpNinjaMike

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Webpage
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 10:17:06 AM »
Where I am confused, and I am a total noob, is with the L and R.  Would I need to take two XLR feeds from the board - one L and one R - to the Zoom, or could I just take one?

Do I need some sort of attenuator for the Zoom too?
Mike

Offline Barry Shoop

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 05:46:14 AM »
The Inputs are L / R (L being Input 1, R being Input 2) in Stereo mode. You can just feed the XLR or 1/4 cables into the inputs on the bottom of the unit. HOWEVER this will generate drums on one side and vocals on the other. You are MUCH better off to use the Stereo Output on your Peavy for a board recording. The Zoom has 3 preset gains on those (H, M, L) so you can experiment to get best level OR it has a manual level setting for more precision if you wish.

If you want to have 4 channels at once (ie use the built ins AND the inputs) you will need to buy an H4n. The H4 WILL do 4 tracks but it is 2 at a time. IE lay 2 tracks, go back and lay two more.

If this is a "Live" situation you are MUCH better off just setting up two decent mics in the room and going straight into the XLR inputs on the Zoom.

If youu are trying to do a studio recording there are better units for that. See Zoom's site they make up to a 24 channel unit. If 4 is all you need the H4n will do nicely at $299, it even has a built in guitar tuner and lots of effects.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.199 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com