Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Converting Sony MiniDiscs to Other formats  (Read 5504 times)

Offline harimau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Converting Sony MiniDiscs to Other formats
« on: October 26, 2011, 06:50:38 AM »
I have a collection of Sony MiniDiscs and I would like to convert them to CD form.

Are MiniDisc players still being made?

If so (or, if not), which model MiniDisc player would be the right choice to use as the source machine?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Converting Sony MiniDiscs to Other formats
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:08:58 AM »
Ideally something with a digital output, but I'm not sure if anything is currently made. Regardless, it would be cheaper to go the eBay route.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline JMFanDotCom

• Taperssection Newbie
  • JMFan.com - Home of the John Mayer Concert Archive
    • JMFan.com - Home of the John Mayer Concert Archive
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 10:44:17 AM »
Once you've got the files from the MiniDisc recorded locally, you can use FFMPEG to convert from the Sony Codecs to something more widely compatible like FLAC.  I think the FFMPEG team just added support for MiniDisc-encoded files this year.
http://JMFan.com - Over 170GBGB of Live, Legal, and FREE John Mayer Concert Recordings available via BitTorrent.
Follow me on Twitter:  @JMFanDotCom

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 10:53:33 AM »
Ideally something with a digital output, but I'm not sure if anything is currently made. Regardless, it would be cheaper to go the eBay route.

This is what I did. A Sony JE-500 (I think thats the model) cost me about $65 used after shipping when I picked one up off of ebay and has an optical out.

Yes, the decoding codec used may not be the best edition, but it beats doing a D>A>D transfer IMHO.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

ilduclo

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
 I still have everything needed to transfer and depending on what you have on those MD's, might be interested in doing it. pm me if interested.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:37:16 PM »
What was your old Minidisc recorder?

If it was not a Hi-MD--that is, the model number does not have an H in it and there's no Hi-MD logo on the machine--then the recordings were made to be stuck on the disc unless you wanted to re-record them in real time.

That is, until Sony introduced the MZ-RH1. That will upload legacy MD recordings IF you made them yourself--not if you downloaded albums from your computer onto the disc.

They are hard to find now, unfortunately.  And people are getting greedy, if Amazon is any guide. The former Minidisc Canada still has the MZ-M200,  (same unit, MZ-M200 comes with a dinky Sony mic)

http://pauseplaystop.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1&cat=MiniDisc+Recorders

If you have a whole lot of MDs, the time you save might be worth it, and you'll be doing a direct digital upload instead of an analog recording.

The MZ-RH1 or MZ-M200  will upload recordings through Sony's barely tolerable SonicStage software onto a PC. Here's the best available version of SonicStage:

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/26171-software-for-your-netmd-or-hi-md-minidisc-playerrecorder/

Once uploaded, you can remove encryption, also with SonicStage--actually with the File Conversion Tool, which will install under the SonicStage group in the PC but runs outside SonicStage.  The uploaded files are in Sony's proprietary ATRAC format, but after uploading and decrypting you can convert them to something useful like FLAC or .mp3. 

There's a lot of information on that Sony Insider site, formerly minidisc.org. If you do get the RH1, look around there for info or ask for help--a nice bunch of minidisc diehards.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com