Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Olympus LS-100 with XLR, 8 channels  (Read 27233 times)

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Olympus LS-100 with XLR, 8 channels
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 01:21:25 AM »
Obviously a typo.  Item is $11.79, Shipping is $2.98, Total $14.77 
Or buy 3 Chinese knockoff batteries for about $12.

The point is that the cost of the rechargeable battery should not play a role in the decision to choose the LS-100 or not.  Battery life, quality of preamp, ease of use, construction quality, these are the sorts of features we need to pay attention to when the LS-100 becomes available.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »
If I could get a dependable 2.5 or 3 hours running phantom, I would be pretty interested (assuming decent pre-amps).  Olympus says it can handle a draw (both channels combined) of just under 20 mA...They didn't actually answer my question, though, which was P48 run time with 3 or 4 mA mics...They also said, "The AC Adapter cannot power the recorder -- it is only used to charge the battery in the recorder." 

Oh, and one of the dimensions in English (3.25") doesn't match the metric size (159 mm) on their website; they said the metric sizes are correct.  Still not huge, but not nearly as small as it seemed!

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 10:58:43 AM »

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »
Based on the manual and web descriptions, I had a few questions for Olympus:

1.  Max input level for the XLR mic- and line-ins.
2.  Approximate battery life with P48 (for any draw they choose).
3.  Cross-memory recording (like the M10).
4.  2 GB splits (automatic? seamless?).  It seems to me that one of the earlier ones (maybe LS-10) just stopped at 2 GB.

So far, I have heard back on the cross-memory recording.  It is not possible with this recorder...

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 07:09:12 PM »
4.  2 GB splits (automatic? seamless?).  It seems to me that one of the earlier ones (maybe LS-10) just stopped at 2 GB.

That was true of the LS-10 with the early firmware. Once I updated mine, it gave me seamless splits.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »
^^^ Olympus confirmed that it will do seamless splits.  They said they will still let me know about maximum input levels and battery life with P48, but I am not really holding my breath at this point!

Offline ausavim

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 07:57:37 PM »

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 07:47:39 AM »
B&H - Hands-On with the Olympus LS-100 Portable Recorder:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/audio/hands-reviews/hands-olympus-ls-100-portable-recorder

Very useful, thanks.

But he forgot to mention one great advantage of the level control - it looks as if it's been designed to be hand-held and you can easily adjust the level by sliding your thumb over the control (Tascam have done this on the HD-P2) and can even be done with gloved hands.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 11:52:34 AM »
So true!  Few manufacturers give thought to actual field use, preferring instead to design gear that works best when it's sitting on a table. 

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 05:39:32 AM »
So true!  Few manufacturers give thought to actual field use, preferring instead to design gear that works best when it's sitting on a table.

Olympus are certainly the exception.

They want feedback from users as to what is really needed.  They contacted the Institute of Professional Sound (formally the Institute of Broadcast Sound - I am on the committee) - so someone from Olympus is coming to see me in a couple of weeks and I will also put him in touch with other sound recordists.

I have already mentioned a few things (like I would like to see an optical digital input so it can also be used as a "bit bucket" back-up recorder) - and he will be bringing an LS-100 with him.   ;)

Chimney Top

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »

They want feedback from users as to what is really needed.  They contacted the Institute of Professional Sound (formally the Institute of Broadcast Sound - I am on the committee) - so someone from Olympus is coming to see me in a couple of weeks and I will also put him in touch with other sound recordists.

I have already mentioned a few things (like I would like to see an optical digital input so it can also be used as a "bit bucket" back-up recorder) - and he will be bringing an LS-100 with him.   ;)

I have been impressed with Olympus since I bought the LS-10.  great mic's, built sturdy, compact...  I would like to see atleast 4 or 6 track recording (XLR + line-in + built-in mics), not just playback.  That's the main thing keeping me from the LS-100 right now.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »

I have been impressed with Olympus since I bought the LS-10.  great mic's, built sturdy, compact...  I would like to see atleast 4 or 6 track recording (XLR + line-in + built-in mics), not just playback.  That's the main thing keeping me from the LS-100 right now.

The LS-100 is 8-track recording.

You can record 4 at once and overdub the others.

To record 6 or 8 at once the price goes up as you need more mic. pre-amps and they cost money for good ones.

Offline ausavim

• Taperssection Newbie

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 04:51:50 PM »
if anyone gets one, give us a update.  this is something i think would work for me.  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline ausavim

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »
The Olympus LS-100 has Equivalent Input Noise (EIN, A-weighted, impedance 150 ohms) of -125dBu, see http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:33:40 PM by ausavim »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.245 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com