Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Size of PCM-M10 for stealth recording  (Read 5212 times)

Offline infobleep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Size of PCM-M10 for stealth recording
« on: May 24, 2012, 04:20:33 AM »
Hi there

I've been reading some posts on this forum with interest in the last dat. I have a minidisc recorder and I am looking to get a Sony's PCM-M10 or perhaps even the Tascam DR-2D, although I think I'd prefer the Sony.

This is for stealth recording but my concern is how do I get the Sony PCM-M10 into a concert. It is I believe the size of an iPhone if not slightly wider. Larger concert venues tend to search bags and could even search a camera bag. I worked out a way of getting my minidisc recorder in but I'm not sure if the same method would work for the PCM-M10, given that it's larger than a minidisc recorder.

If people wish to PM, instead of making the info public, then please do. I don't mind either way.

So far I've been using Sound Processional mics and I think there is enough info in other threads on here to work out which mics, if any I wish to switch to. That isn't so important at the moment as I have useable mics.

Thanks for reading.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Size of PCM-M10 for stealth recording
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 03:55:58 PM »
It's pretty small. I'd say about the same size (volume wise) as your average MD recorder. If you can't get a M10 into a venue...you shouldn't be stealthing.

Roughly the size of a deck of cards.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:35:17 PM »
Try more yoga.

adrianf74

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 11:19:11 PM »
If you can't get a M10 into a venue...you shouldn't be stealthing.

QFT.  +1.

Christ.  I remember stealthing back in the day with a TCD-D7 and CSB's or a WMD-D3 (analog) pro walkman.  A friend used to bring in a full-sized camera wearing "MC Hammer" pants (we're talking early 90's here).

An M10 with CA/SP/DPA's and power is a joke in comparison.  And your're DEAD RIGHT.

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 12:10:29 AM »
Some pics. Dr-2d, M10, RH1

Offline infobleep

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 06:50:20 AM »
Thank you so much Ziggz. That is just what I was after, a side by side comparison. I have a method for getting my minidisc recorder into concerts where they are likely to search you and I wished to be fairly certain I could use the same method for the PCM-M10. It appears as if I can.

I have been to hundreds of concert since 1990 and there have only been 3 which I never attempted to record but thankfully someone else did. Since 1993, when I started recording, only once was I unsuccessful in getting my recording gear in and thankfully the band were filming for DVD that night. Would have liked to have recorded the support act though as they were good. Eventually though I think my luck will run out so I wish to avoid that.

I started out with double tape/radio deck before moving onto a dictaphone and then minidisc/video camera [Sony Hi8 size camera]. From 1996 I started to use two tape machines at once, so that I wouldn't lose any music/crowd when changing tapes/sides during the gigs. That is not so much of an issue with minidiscs so I stopped taping but occasionally mistakes occur and a backup would be useful.

I find smaller venues are easy enough to enter without to many precautions. If I wish to film, I found outdoors was usually okay. These days I can use my Samsung S95 to film. Sound not great but I can match it up to my minidisc if I wished to. I don't do that much filming over all though because I wish to enjoy the gig. I'm more of a set up my recording device and leave it running whilst I enjoy the gig.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 10:29:42 AM »
Stealth? Try camouflage.

Put the PCM-M10 in a camera pouch on your belt (Lowepro Ridge30 is perfect to hold a little battbox as well) and take it out and show it to the security guys.

Because its microphones are recessed, it looks like a digital camera. They'll wave it in along with all the other point-and-shoot cameras.  A couple have warned me not to use the flash. OK with me. :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:31:33 AM by earmonger »

Offline infobleep

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »
I do actually have a camera pouch already, which I use during gigs. However I have had that searched in the past, so I go even more stealth than that if I think they are going to search me. I'm not normally paranoid about being filmed or searched by people but given the amount of concerts I've recorded, I'm not so keen to slip up. Once was enough. When I was younger I probably rode my luck a bit.

Anyway I ordered the PCM-M10 for about £170 and also got a second hand MZ-RH1 for about £150 because I have some legacy SP recorded minidiscs. I might sell my existing MZ-NH900 but some of the buttons are dodgy now, particularly the menu button. So it will be a case sold for spares or someone who doesn't mind spending anything from 1-5 minutes trying to get the menu to come up. Very annoying when you need to change minidiscs and have to then reset the mic setting to manual.

I currently use SP-BMC2 mics with glasses, not that I need glasses. I connect this to a headphone volume control wire [antentuator]. Whilst not as good as a battery box or pre amp, it was cheaper at the time. I will upgrade the mics in the future.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 11:11:45 AM »
Try a test at home with BMC-2 directly into Mic-in on the PCM-M10.  Put the Mic Sensitivity switch on the back of the PCM-M10 to Low. (When you plug in to the mic jack it will ask you if you want plug-in power--On.)  The preamp on the PCM-M10 does better with loud sounds than the MD preamps.

If it still overloads, spring for a battery box when you can. It's a big improvement on the attenuator. BMC-2>attenuator>MD was my setup for a long time. If $$ are tight, the battery box will improve things right away, and you can still use it when you eventually upgrade mics.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:31:14 PM by earmonger »

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 05:17:18 AM »
The m10 looks like a smartphone so someone here used to do like a phone call while walking through the check and it worked.   ;D
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »
Welcome aboard man! The M10 is a great little recorder which gets unreal battery life, and has a killer ADC IMHO 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com