Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-100mkII  (Read 5684 times)

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Tascam DR-100mkII
« on: March 13, 2013, 12:12:17 AM »
I just noticed that this new model of the DR-100 includes both mic and line inputs on the XLRs. Very good. It also has an S/PDIF digital input which the older model did not (as far as I remember.) The XLR line inputs would be good for soundboard patches.

I like the level KNOB  (instead of pushbuttons) a lot. Is this a good unit? Well made? It looks like just the ticket to replace my D8 and DA-P1. I've been holding off getting one of these new recorders because none of them seemed to be what I wanted.

It might be easier to finish my DAT transfers (going: DAT >coax>DR-100mkII) as well.

I like Tascam a lot, especially after owning both a DA-30 and DA-P1.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-100mkII
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 12:36:30 AM »
Theres a pretty lengthy review and thread just a few threads down.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=152321.0

Offline Karl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:00:11 AM »
There is a thread, but it can be overwhelming to find simple answers. Needle in a haystack :) When these threads get this big it would be nice to have a simple FAQ for that particular unit.

It depends on what your needs are, but I think it is a great unit! Well made also. I did have a slight problem, but the Tascam warranty fixed it ASAP, and even gave me a personal phone call when it was done.

Do you have more specific questions?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »
Not really. I've just been looking for a unit that could replace both my DA-P1 and my D8, and this seems to be a good choice. I like the addition of the line in setting for the XLR inputs. I mostly use my DA-P1 for soundboard recording through the XLR inputs and this certainly made me take notice to the DR-100mkII. I also like the inclusion of a recording level Knob, instead of pushbuttons. I also like the digital input.

DAT blanks are getting way too hard to come by. I think this is the ticket. Thanks for the reply.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 07:35:52 PM »
Not really. I've just been looking for a unit that could replace both my DA-P1 and my D8, and this seems to be a good choice. I like the addition of the line in setting for the XLR inputs. I mostly use my DA-P1 for soundboard recording through the XLR inputs and this certainly made me take notice to the DR-100mkII. I also like the inclusion of a recording level Knob, instead of pushbuttons. I also like the digital input.

DAT blanks are getting way too hard to come by. I think this is the ticket. Thanks for the reply.

Are you interested in buying pre-used DATS? I have at least 50 and prob closer to 75-100 I'm willing to sell!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 06:42:32 PM »
I just got my new Tascam DR-100mkII. I'm pretty impressed with it. It's smaller than I would have thought, and if it didn't have the built in mics it would be the same size as my D8.

I'm going to be using it for Todd Snider at SLO Brew on May 9. It will be nice not having to worry about finding DAT tapes anymore!

I did a test in my living room today with my Neumann KM-140s >DR-100mkII using the Tascam's internal phantom power / preamp. I was wondering, in the case of a  >:D recording, how long the internal batteries (both rechargeable + AAs) would last when using the phantom power. I was thinking that, for a tight venue, I might be able to leave my Beyer MV-100 out of the chain and make things less bulky.

Any tips for using this recorder for the first time? I'm planning on running it at 24 / 44.1.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »
Unit running phantom power:
Internal Li-on battery, 3:30 (hours:minutes)
Duracell AA non rechargeable, 40 minutes
Powergenix AA Nickel Zinc rechargeables, 2:15

Tips? Just practice and get used to it. I taped my gain knob down, it was moving too easy.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:39:46 PM »
Thanks for the input on the phantom power, Karl. I did a phantom power test in my living room with my Neumann KM-140s >DR-100mkII and the internal rechargeable battery lost one bar in the span of 10 minutes. I was kind of concerned.

So I guess it should be fine for a 2 hr show.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 03:59:28 PM »
I notice on mine that I lose a bar quickly as well. But then it takes forever to lose the other bars. I am sure you will be fine there! And seriously, look into the powergenix AA rechargeables. 4 batteries and a charger for $20 from Amazon to vastly increase your recording time.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 04:20:35 PM »

Tips? Just practice and get used to it. I taped my gain knob down, it was moving too easy.

What was the draw of the mics you used for these battery tests?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 05:44:27 PM »
These are the perfect deck for a SPDIF input out of a killer ADC. I almost bought one to use When I transferred the rest of my dats!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 10:43:37 PM »
The digital input was another reason I chose the Tascam DR-100mkII. But, I was mostly impressed with the ability to use the XLRs for line in for a hot signal. I used my DA-P1 a LOT for taping off of a soundboard with the XLR cables.

I'm still wondering how my SBM-1 would sound with it at 16 / 44.1. I loved the SBM-1 for it's transparent sound.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 10:43:41 AM »

What was the draw of the mics you used for these battery tests?

Whatever the Audio Technica AT853's draw. I don't know if it draws a "high" or "low" amount
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 04:38:13 PM »
^^^  Thanks!  AT specs those at 2 mA, so pretty low comparatively.  I don't think the relationship between battery life and current draw is strictly linear, but at least I can guess at the battery life I would get with my mics...

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »
I just recorded Todd Snider at SLO Brew with my new Tascam DR100mkII. I AM SO IMPRESSED!

This thing sounds incredible! And so easy to use too.

Neumann KM-140s (ORTF), Atlas mic bar bungeed to front center ceiling post, nine and a half feet off the floor, >25 ft XLR cables >Beyer MV-100 >Tascam DR100mkII (24/48).

The bass is so tight and well defined and the high end just shimmers. Sounds like a very flat response too, though I haven't looked at it on a graph.

I did a test for the opening band and ran the Neumanns directly into the DR100 for the first 20 minutes of the set before switching to the MV-100 preamp. I wanted to compare the sound of the two preamps. On careful listening, the Beyer sounds a little more rich and full, but it is really a slight difference. I probably should do another test with a full opening band, as this was just a singer / songwriter girl playing solo guitar.

I'm going to have fun with this recorder.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 04:35:12 PM »
Glad it turned out well!  I have pulled a handful of nice acoustic recordings!  It is super easy to use.  Just gotta make sure and have the mics away from cell phone activity
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 05:13:15 PM »
That's why I like mounting them to the ceiling post. I can get them over nine feet off the floor and get them over people's heads. (Of course I have to stand on a stool to put them up and take them down.)

ONT.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.138 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com