Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mono SBD feed > R-44  (Read 2570 times)

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
mono SBD feed > R-44
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »
Hey pholks...might not be the best thread but I have to pick somebody's brain.
It's been decades since I have grabbed a sbd feed, that I seem to have forgotten the fundamentals.
Last night I got a mono feed, and ran it directly into my R-44. The levels were obscenely low, even when I cranked the gain all the way.
The result is a tinny mess almost barren of any low-end.
So, my questions are - what did I do wrong? What can I do to fix it?

I know that most board feeds are mono, but this was shite. Even when I boosted it in Wavelab, the result is crap and I am disappointed that I can't matrix it with my NBob's.

Thx in advance.
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
Re: mono SBD feed > R-44
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
Did you crack up the gain in the recorder or in the desk? Maybe the output feed was set too low in the desk itself... I can be COMPLETELY WRONG, huh? But I don't think it has to do much with mono/stereo, but with the sbd feed itself. Also, was it a small venue? SBDs use to suffer from a strong lack of guitars and drums in the mix (small venues get enough guitar, bass and drums naturally without needing to feed them on the PA)...
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 03:53:55 PM »
I will say that whatever was being fed from the board's output was way too low.  I can't speak to the R-44 as I've only used a 680 but I normally have the 680 levels set where I want them so if I come across this, I'll ask the board op to give me some more juice.

Matrixing a stereo recording with a mono board feed will often sound a little whack (especially if it's a small room) so I'd be more inclined to 'avoid' the board feed altogether (but that's just me).

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 04:18:36 PM »
I will say that whatever was being fed from the board's output was way too low.  I can't speak to the R-44 as I've only used a 680 but I normally have the 680 levels set where I want them so if I come across this, I'll ask the board op to give me some more juice.

Matrixing a stereo recording with a mono board feed will often sound a little whack (especially if it's a small room) so I'd be more inclined to 'avoid' the board feed altogether (but that's just me).

I agree. The SBD was feeding you way too low level wise. I would forgo using the SBD feed at all, as long as your aud sounds decent enough
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 04:52:23 PM »
Thx all, you have collectively reaffirmed my suspicions...
It was a small venue and the soundman did say that the guitars were going to be 'thin' , but I didn't think that thin. Now I know why I always avoid the board feeds....
Well, chalk another one to experience. Much appreciated.
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL

adrianf74

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »
Thx all, you have collectively reaffirmed my suspicions...
It was a small venue and the soundman did say that the guitars were going to be 'thin' , but I didn't think that thin. Now I know why I always avoid the board feeds....
Well, chalk another one to experience. Much appreciated.

I wouldn't say you should avoid board feeds completely.  They do have their uses.  I recorded a smaller singer/songwriter/guitarist type a year ago at a venue that holds less than 100 people.  The artist hooked me up with a board feed but the sound tech could only give me 1 channel (but the house sound was mono, anyhow) so I just duplicated the channel when I did the matrix.  The mix was maybe 70% ambient, 30% board and it did help give the vocals a bit of an upfront boost in the mix.

Board feeds are not something you can 100% rely on, though.   I've had more than enough crap ones over the years.

Offline shownomarcy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hungarian Metallica fanclub!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 06:42:18 AM »
I dont know R-44, but I'd ask first if you checked it input level? Was it ok? Like above -12 db, so not too low and was the result bad in spite of that?
AT853uw mics / ca-14 (omni/card)+ ca-9200 preamp
Edirol R-09HR / Tascam DR-2d
Canon Legria HF S20

Have you taped any Hungarian band? Please contact me! :)
http://www.youtube.com/shownomarcy
https://soundcloud.com/m-rton-sebesty-n-shownomarcy
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=397210
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=120801

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 05:26:51 PM »
The desk was an Allen & Heath GL2800-32 Mixing Console, not too fancy, and does a great job for that particular size of venue which has performances every night of the week. The fellas that man the station, however, really are hit and miss. This particular evening I got the fella who was not interested in the least if I had a good signal or not, and he basically set the levels on the board and walked away. Such is the game...

-12 dB, I wish. The levels did barely rise past -30 on my level meter on the R-44 after I added all the gain possible. I imagine even if I was to get a hotter signal it would still sound like an .mp3 copied onto a type 1 cassette.

As I said before, chalk it up to experience, and the next time I will bust his balls and tell him to deliver the heat.

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 06:01:54 PM »
are you sure the inner knob (digital attenuation) was set at 12 noon in its rotation?

if not that, your feed was too low. what was the board output you were plugged into?

and if it really was low levels on that output, have you bought the sound guy a beer or shared a joint? it never hurts to "socially engineer" a little!

better luck next time.
Joe

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 06:26:05 AM »
Thx Joe. Nope everything was running properly except my attention to the sbd feed he was sending. No worries I just will have fodder to give him the business next time.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com