Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DR680 Freezes on DIN Unlock  (Read 6929 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
DR680 Freezes on DIN Unlock
« on: May 18, 2013, 10:43:18 PM »
It freezes solid, so I have to remove all power and batteries and everything and do a fresh reboot to get the unit back, at which point I no longer have the earlier file that was being written before the din unlock.  Any others seeing this?  Any ideas for a solution?  (latest firmware installed.)

kirk97132

Re: DR680 Freezes on DIN Unlock
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 11:20:45 PM »
It freezes solid, so I have to remove all power and batteries and everything and do a fresh reboot to get the unit back, at which point I no longer have the earlier file that was being written before the din unlock.  Any others seeing this?  Any ideas for a solution?  (latest firmware installed.)
Any other input?  External battery? AC power? in bag with other gear(IE: creating heat), type of digi cable? Preamp? Any DIN unlock screen? Deck settings(16/44, 24/48, 24/96)  SDHC card? Same card or on all cards?

stevetoney

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 06:21:04 AM »

Any other input? 

No

External battery? AC power?

AC...I'm doing some runtime tests for my AD2K prior to festival this coming weekend.

in bag with other gear(IE: creating heat)

No heat, not in the bag.

, type of digi cable?

Coax into the Digital input.

Preamp?

AEA PSP2

Any DIN unlock screen?

Yes, I get the DIN UNLOCK message on the screen while the deck is frozen.

Deck settings(16/44, 24/48, 24/96)

Only tried at 24/48

SDHC card? Same card or on all cards?

Didn't try switching the SD card.  Not sure what difference that would make.  The card works fine otherwise.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 06:53:20 AM »
Pardon the obvious question but did you set the deck to match the input settings?   Thought I'd throw that out there since I was transferring some dats to my 680 this weekend and I got the DIN UNLOCK screen until I set it to what the dat deck was feeding it (16/44.1 in this case).  It didn't totally lock up as you described, though.

Only other thing I can think to check is the AES-EBU/spdif setting.  Yes, it controls the digital output on the deck but it couldn't hurt to try.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 07:43:54 AM »
that was the first sign of trouble I had when the main board  took a crap

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 07:54:39 AM »
Pardon the obvious question but did you set the deck to match the input settings?   Thought I'd throw that out there since I was transferring some dats to my 680 this weekend and I got the DIN UNLOCK screen until I set it to what the dat deck was feeding it (16/44.1 in this case).  It didn't totally lock up as you described, though.

Only other thing I can think to check is the AES-EBU/spdif setting.  Yes, it controls the digital output on the deck but it couldn't hurt to try.

Yes to the first question.

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 08:00:35 AM »

Wasn't your issue a random DIN UNLOCK?  So far the DIN UNLOCK I get is repeatable, but the freeze up sucks balls.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »

Wasn't your issue a random DIN UNLOCK?  So far the DIN UNLOCK I get is repeatable, but the freeze up sucks balls.

It's been a few years, but the freeze up was an issue I got with the DIN UNLOCK, and had to reboot the unit.
I seem to remember it being random at first, then it just kept going into DIN UNLOCK, that's why I sent it into TEAC. 
I hope things aren't this severe for you.

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 09:33:08 AM »
Yeah, right now mine doesn't seem to be as severe as that.  Thanks for the feedback.

kirk97132

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 12:39:50 PM »
Wne you hit din unlock have you tried pulling the digi cable first then trying to clear the screen. As I typed that.......Steve, just to cover some basics, not trying to insult intelligence......When you get the screen with DIN UNLOCK, have you tried clear that screen by pushing either front button or top button?  Does it clear? Does it clear and come right back?  One other thing, at one point I was running my USBPRe-2 on a homemade votlage converter.  everything was ok up until music played and mics were drawing more juice.  I was right on the edge of insufficient power for my preamp and it would set DIN Unlock msg.  Is preamp on AC also?  I would see if diffrent digi cable and or different digi input from another pre make difference.  What I am thinking is that the DIN Unlock screen is actually resetting contanstantly IE: every 1/4 a second, and it  keeps you from being able to access any features?  So pull digi cable to see if you can clear screen msg and power it down.  then try swa[ping out componets, cable preamp keep us posted

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 02:15:32 PM »
Hey Steve, sorry to hear you're having trouble. Solid freeze-ups were also a symptom Acidjack and I experienced on our two bad decks. I can't say I remember the last time it happened to my most recent deck, but don't doubt it's locking entirely.

That said (and to reiterate Kirk's troubleshooting steps), make sure you try to clear the din unlock message by pressing the front panel knob. If I get a din unlock message on my current setup, that is the only way to clear the error message.

When running the AD2k, I've had the most stable results by using an XLR > Coax 110 ohm digital cable and by setting the AD2K to AES output. IIRC, the 680 would not lock at all when using SPDIF at 96kHz using coax out. Actually, I can't remember if the coax vs. xlr output had anything to do with it, but I know for fact things got better once I selected AES output. I mostly prefer the xlr out simply because it locks

Are these freeze-ups happening randomly or as soon as you try and start recording?

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 02:37:47 PM »
I had a couple of solid freeze ups but those were due to a class 10 card it didn't like.  Once I put in a class 4 card I never had another freeze up again.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:56:46 PM by drewloo »

stevetoney

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Problem solved.  So yeah I get a DIN UNLOCK when power is interrupted on the ad2k.  This happens whether its due to low battery cut out or just turning the ad2k off. 

As some suggested, I then pulled the digi cable off and, after pressing the main input button, DIN UNLOCK cleared and I was able to save the file as it had been built prior to the freeze.  Without removing the digi cable tho, nothing.

Heres a bit of data for the AD2K people, I got a red low power light at 11.8v. The gteen on light went out at 11.4v.  The unit cut out altogether around 11.0v.  It seemed to work fine until it cut out, even though the msnual says it only works until the green light goes out.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:03:47 PM by tonedeaf »

kirk97132

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »
If you look at a zoomed in version of your wave file you might see the lock/unlock spikes.  That is what I saw when the Pre-2 was running into low power issues.  It would go lock unlock so fast sometimes that I never even saw an unlock screen I would look it would be showing the DIN LOCK screen indicating it lost and then reaquired the lock.  I was laos much more prevelant ...for me at least...when I was using high draw mics (10mA).  Glad you got some kinda handle on it.......Warning Tascam bicth seesion following......I still think those fucktards who wrote the software for this deck could either patch it to do autosaving the way the HD-P2 does OR gives us a recovery app. so when shit like this happens you can at least get your stuff back.  They just refuse to even talk to you about it or even consider it. 

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
Please take me off the "want" list.  I will be watching for a real fix before I lay the benjamans down for one of these.  Thanks for your hard work trying to get a fix, y'all...
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com