Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PCM M10 Mic Question  (Read 2530 times)

Offline IceMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • i don't like you.you're dangerous
    • My Blog(s)
PCM M10 Mic Question
« on: July 13, 2013, 01:50:32 PM »
I am a stealth taper and recently got the M10.  For most shows I just use Sony ECM 717s and plug in to the Mic input.  Hit record, get levels  done. (the Mic has a small battery inside that I always turn "on")

I have a pair of core sounds that I want to use today.  When I connect in a similar fashion I get nothing.  I do see a a power button come up (use yes or no) I've tried both..nothing.  I've tried going Line In.  Tried Manual Record Level, Tried mic sens.  Nothing seems to get the levels to move.  I replaced the 9V in the roll off box, M10 running brand new batteries.

Any ideas?  I've got a chance to use the Cores tonight and would love to see what I pull.

Appreciate any feedback!
When I die I won't own crap..but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over.  http://toddiet123.blogspot.com/  Yes..Yes I can help you track Caspian shows.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Re: PCM M10 Mic Question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
Check your battery... New = Never ever worked :) you might have a bad battery right out of the package. Failing that I would take a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable turn the gains right up on the recorder and plug it into mic input. You should see signal.. If you do unplug the 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable and plug the mics power supply output cable into your mic input with out changing anything.... if you still dont get signal you have a fault in your mics.. Its unusual to have a fault in both sides.. I would then suspect a bad ground connection in the battery box. Make sure you also check with a new 9v that you have confirmed worked in another device. Good luck.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline IceMan

• My Blog(s)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »
I'll try the battery.  Its odd because if I tap the microphones (gently) on a table I see the level "bounce".  If I go outside and crank the rec level up though..yell..i get nothing.  Thank you for your response.  I'll try that battery thing and let you know.

Best
Todd
When I die I won't own crap..but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over.  http://toddiet123.blogspot.com/  Yes..Yes I can help you track Caspian shows.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
I'll try the battery.  Its odd because if I tap the microphones (gently) on a table I see the level "bounce".  If I go outside and crank the rec level up though..yell..i get nothing.  Thank you for your response.  I'll try that battery thing and let you know.

Best
Todd

I am leaning towards a bad ground on the 4 pin mini xlr. Connector or a bad battery. Unscrew that 4 pin connector and look for a green oxidation on the strain relief / crimp on the cable and the housing of the 4 pin connector.. If there is oxidation thats your problem take an nail file board and lightly sand the part of the crimp / strain relief that makes contact with the other shell... If that restores your sound then you must at some point replace that connector with a 5 pin mini xlr using a dedicated pin for ground. Instead of the other shell that is NOT designed for signal ground. Also open and inspect the battery box for bad connections going into the 4 pin mini xlr and the large dc block caps inside the box. They often vibrate lose and cause the audio output connection to fail. Putting a small dab of silicone on these will help make them stay put. I would also look at the 3.5 mm switchcraft connector and make sure that the ground has not come off that connector.

Good luck.

Offline IceMan

• My Blog(s)
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »
Sheesh...who would have thunk spending the $$ on a new "engergizer" would do the trick!

Tried it first w/my D8 which I knew it worked on..and it did..then went to the M10...it worked there.

Thanks for your help...and all the other tech information.  I appreacite your time in responding.

Todd

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »
Sheesh...who would have thunk spending the $$ on a new "engergizer" would do the trick!

Tried it first w/my D8 which I knew it worked on..and it did..then went to the M10...it worked there.

Thanks for your help...and all the other tech information.  I appreacite your time in responding.

Todd
If you have the 4 pin connector on your mics.. Clean the barrel on the inside and the outside of the strain relief with contact cleaner every once and a while.
You should be good to go. I never count out brand new out of the package batteries.. I have seen them fail right out of the package. New = NEVER EVER WORKED.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com