Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for non portble 3.5mm line in recorder  (Read 6122 times)

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Re: Looking for non portble 3.5mm line in recorder
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 01:24:30 AM »
  If you mean to say you want a recorder with automatic gain control, the Sony PCM M10 has an automatic gain control built in.  I've never used it. 

Please don't use the Automatic Gain Control on the Sony. If you do, every time the preacher PAUSES the BACKGROUND NOISE will be jerked WAY UP in volume. It's not pretty. Nearly ruined an interview I recorded that had an AIR CONDITIONER in the ROOM.

If you're skilled at compressor settings maybe you can buy an outboard compressor to put in the chain before the recorder, since the Sony (or other recorder, I'm just familiar with the Sony) is so inexpensive. Or just run it through a software compressor afterward, though I understand you'd rather not do post-processing. To me, the important thing is to get an accurate recording first. Then you can tweak.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 10:18:22 AM »
i wouldn't bother with the Sony as it has a finicky micro SD card
???
First I have ever heard that
Unless you are talking about user error with people putting it in upside down, in which case isn't the recorder
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 11:49:11 AM »
IMO, there's nothing finicky on the Sony.  It's a very well made unit. 

I'm still of the view that the OP would benefit from using the Sony to record directly off the soundboard.  Put it in his pocket, take it home, plug it into Audacity, download the file, apply a little compression, boost the playback speed just a bit (unless he's dealing with unusually fast talkers), and then carefully choose his settings for exporting the file for upload to the internet.   After doing it three or four times, then the settings will be pretty routine, and the whole edit process will go very, very quickly. 

Audacity is free, easy to use and it works well.  The Sony can be had for $200-$230 new.  The battery life is so good that with new batteries every Sunday, there's no worry of losing a recording.  Or an external power supply can be added.   

Offline plains203

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 10:27:02 PM »
Thanks for all the answers guys. Looks like the Sony is the go. I was hoping to have others doing the post work on a rostered basis but this may not work.
Cheers

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.146 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com