Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What recorder to buy? NJB3/MD  (Read 3907 times)

Offline yanosh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
What recorder to buy? NJB3/MD
« on: August 20, 2005, 03:08:41 AM »
I saw that NJB3 goes strong here but I don't really want to buy a used hardisk and new one I don't think can be found today.
Besides, I don't like the fact that it's quite big and hard to be stealthed.
Does NJB3 have any benefit over MD except for the fact that it's hardisk so you don't have to replace media after an hour of recording or so?
Right now I'm heading for a used MD (unless you can convince me otherwise).

I'm going to metal shows usually.
I want to make lossless recordings. (do only HI-MD support wav recordings?)
I'm planning to buy Church Audio mic as this is what was suggested for me in this forum.

I'd like to know which attributes I should look for in the MD to be sure I'm buying what I need.

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
Re: What recorder to buy? NJB3/MD
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 09:45:44 AM »
although the jb3 is a little larger than an md, you are better off getting it.  unlesss you get a hi-md, which i believe is out of your price range, you will evenetually move to a .wav based recorder sooner than later anyway.  there is nothing wrong with buying a used jb3, and the pro's outweigh the cons imo.  put some time in on ebay, and you'll come out alright.
we all live downstream.

Offline yanosh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 01:03:10 PM »
What about all the Zen series?
Why are you only considering the NJB3?

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 01:09:36 PM »
Funny that you'll buy a used MD, but not a refurb or used JB3. The JB3 is the only one tapers really consider becuase of it's ability to take an optical digital signal. There are no other options in that area. And the JB3 HD can be replaced. As far as size of the jb3, it's not big at all. And I don't know where you get that it's hard to stealth. A large portion of stealthers that use the JB3 just walk in with it in their hands. No need to hide it. And if you're looking for lossless, MD is not the way to go.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 02:33:16 PM »
Given your budget, I think the question is moot.  IMO, the only known reliable recording device that fits your budget - and still allows for purchase of mics / battery box - is a used MD.  I don't think you'll find a Hi-MD or JB3 at your price point.  As for the Zen:  unproven and unknown recording capabilities unless someone steps forward to indicate otherwise.  So...

I'll stick with my recommendation of Giant Squid / Church Audio mics + battery box + used MD.

Edit to add:  ATRAC doesn't sound *terrible*, it just doesn't sound as good as uncompressed WAV - but even that, only to a very good ear on a very good playback system.  I'd bet $5 that > 90% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between ATRAC and WAV.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline yanosh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 05:09:35 PM »
Still I don't want anything lossy like ATRAC.
It's a rule for me and I'm not gonna move from it.

So if the only lossless MD are Hi-MD then my only left option is a used NJB3.

An I right?

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 07:22:26 PM »
Yup, and it'll likely blow your budget.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 07:51:03 PM »
I'd bet $5 that > 90% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between ATRAC and WAV.
you are right
i did a test a few yrs back and that was the outcome

i even did a few fake outs, like 2 wavs and 2 md
most couldn't tell they were the same or different
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 08:51:26 PM »
Still I don't want anything lossy like ATRAC.
It's a rule for me and I'm not gonna move from it.

So if the only lossless MD are Hi-MD then my only left option is a used NJB3.

An I right?

yeah, we were right :P

we all live downstream.

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 12:17:33 AM »
I'll sell you one of my JB3's for $150, that will leave you $20 for mics and a batt box..:D
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline Roamer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 06:30:47 AM »
The cheapest HiMD is the NH-600. But the american variant (NH-600D) is only for PC downloading (no line-in), so forget about that one. The european model (NH-600) has line-in/optical-in (no mic-in) and can easily be found new under 100 euros. But with postage and a few blank media, the price is probably close to a used JB3.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 04:14:44 PM »
I posted this in Yanosh's post in the "Ask the Tapers" forum, but will repost it here:

$170 dollars is do-able for a budget.

My first rig was about that.  Bought it from Boogie.  Sound Professionals croakies mount AT831 > SPSB-2 > Sharp MD.  I still use the mics & batt box but run it into a NJB3 for stealthing.  It's a great starter rig!  The only down side with the MD is the fact that unless you have a standalone MD player with a digital out, it is hard to get the shows onto your computer for editing / burning to disk.  BUT, there are plenty of gracious tapers here who will do transfers for you free of charge.  Kevin (blu666z) I know still offers this up on the boards, and I think Boogie does as well.

Don't be discouraged with a small budget.  It's definitely do-able, just might take a little longer to find the equipment.  Good luck!  It's an addicting hobby!!

There is nothing wrong with starting out on a tight budget.  For the money that Yanosh has to put up he can get a good rig.  There's plenty of tapers that don't have the bank to jump in as deep as many people here do.  Besides, why not get what you can afford and upgrade when you decide if this something you really want to invest $$$ in?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 11:19:44 PM »
Given your budget, I think the question is moot.  IMO, the only known reliable recording device that fits your budget - and still allows for purchase of mics / battery box - is a used MD.  I don't think you'll find a Hi-MD or JB3 at your price point.  As for the Zen:  unproven and unknown recording capabilities unless someone steps forward to indicate otherwise.  So...

I'll stick with my recommendation of Giant Squid / Church Audio mics + battery box + used MD.

Edit to add:  ATRAC doesn't sound *terrible*, it just doesn't sound as good as uncompressed WAV - but even that, only to a very good ear on a very good playback system.  I'd bet $5 that > 90% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between ATRAC and WAV.

Has this ever been tested on taperssection.com?  I've been meaning to do this as a blind test.  Take a small .wav and burn it to MD using the Dig-In port, then bring it back out Digital out to .wav and see if I can tell the difference between the original .wav and the .wav>MD>.wav files.

What type of music puts a compression algorithm thru its paces the best?

Todd in Buffalo
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com