Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Brickwalling?! It HAS to be the PA right??  (Read 2609 times)

Offline twoheadedboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
Brickwalling?! It HAS to be the PA right??
« on: June 20, 2007, 02:02:04 AM »
Here's my signal chain: DSM-6S/EL > PA-24NJ (+0 gain, 90hz roll-off) > Edirol R-09 (mic gain low, AGC off, low cut off, stereo ext mic, input volume set to "7").

I saw no red flashing light on the preamp, which I believe only kicks in at -3dB, and the deck averaged about -12 to -10db.

Here's the kicker...this was Tool, and it was absolutely the loudest bass I have ever heard at a concert. I was at the back of the floor in front of the soundboard and it was rattling my ribcage and jaw almost constantly (thank god for -20dB ear plugs).

I have taped a lot of shows at a lot of different venues, with a lot of loud, bass-heavy bands, and I've never had this problem before.

EDIT: Ok, looking at the EQ upon playback, it looks like a skateboard ramp...not good. I mean, it looks like I taped a normal rock show WITHOUT roll-off, but again, I'm positive I had it set to 90hz. That's the most aggressive roll-off setting that I have, what do I do in the future? And can this be fixed at all?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
Re: Brickwalling?! It HAS to be the PA right??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:27:28 AM »
Why use mic in?

I use line in all the time and set for 5, 6  or so. No problem at all.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:37:11 AM »
What he said, esp. for Tool...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 03:57:07 PM »
I'm going to venture a guess and say the problem has nothing to do with the PA system that Tool is playing through.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline ~sin213~

• Taperssection Regular
  • Kaizoku!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 10:37:41 PM »
Here's my signal chain: DSM-6S/EL > PA-24NJ (+0 gain, 90hz roll-off) > Edirol R-09 (mic gain low, AGC off, low cut off, stereo ext mic, input volume set to "7").

I saw no red flashing light on the preamp, which I believe only kicks in at -3dB, and the deck averaged about -12 to -10db.

Here's the kicker...this was Tool, and it was absolutely the loudest bass I have ever heard at a concert. I was at the back of the floor in front of the soundboard and it was rattling my ribcage and jaw almost constantly (thank god for -20dB ear plugs).

I have taped a lot of shows at a lot of different venues, with a lot of loud, bass-heavy bands, and I've never had this problem before.

EDIT: Ok, looking at the EQ upon playback, it looks like a skateboard ramp...not good. I mean, it looks like I taped a normal rock show WITHOUT roll-off, but again, I'm positive I had it set to 90hz. That's the most aggressive roll-off setting that I have, what do I do in the future? And can this be fixed at all?

I agree with line-in - that is all I ever use.  Also, you could have Church mod your mics with the 4.7k resistor mod.  That could help...

My .02

+t 

for your recording issues, though...I'm going thru some myself right now...
#1 - MM-HLSC-1 > MM-MBM > R09
#2 - AT853 > CA9100 3wire Preamp/BattBox > R09

Coachella 06, 07, 08
Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08

Upcoming Shows
9/3 - Ice Cube | 9/8 - The Toadies | 9/22 - Beck |9/23 - My Morning Jacket | 9/27 - Edgefest (Gogol!) | 10/11 - The Bakerton Group | 10/14 - The Roots | 11/28 - Dir en Grey | 11/29 - Soulfly & Cavelera Conspiracy | 12/13 - NIN (Vegas)

Drive Out The Bush Regime!
For more info on how you can get involved, plz visit:
http://www.worldcantwait.net

Offline twoheadedboy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 10:58:56 PM »
Wow...why DID I use mic in?

I totally had a brain fart last night...jeez.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 01:51:19 AM »
I had the same sort of problem.  I was running some electrets through a battery box to mic-in by mistake.  The meters looked OK, like 1- 12dB of headroom.  Wrong!  Brickwalled the whole set.  Both of us have to be more careful in the future.  I got the next two sets through line-in and they were fine.   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 03:31:19 AM »
Haha, I was reading the OP's post and got to "mic in" and had to laugh.

I've done the exact same thing, it sucks to realize, that's for sure.
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com