Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: battery system for audio buddy  (Read 2684 times)

Offline taperjeff

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA recordings:
battery system for audio buddy
« on: July 15, 2005, 11:53:30 AM »
I just purchased an audio buddy preamp.  Could anyone recommend a battery set up that I could use?  Would the Initial RB-270 UNIVERSAL BATTERY with the audio buddy or could recommend a commercial battery.

Thanks

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: battery system for audio buddy
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 12:13:37 PM »
The Audio Buddy runs on 9v AC not 9v DC, so the initial battery won't work.  No battery will work.  For portable use, you'd need to get a 12v battery, a power inverter (converts DC to modified sine wave AC), and use the wall-wart plug that came with the Audio Buddy.  There used to be companies that made an all-in-one 12v battery plus inverter unit that would make for an easy solution (eg, the Vector Pocket Generator).  Don't know if these are still made.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 05:04:36 PM »
The Audio Buddy runs on 9v AC not 9v DC, so the initial battery won't work.  No battery will work.  For portable use, you'd need to get a 12v battery, a power inverter (converts DC to modified sine wave AC), and use the wall-wart plug that came with the Audio Buddy.  There used to be companies that made an all-in-one 12v battery plus inverter unit that would make for an easy solution (eg, the Vector Pocket Generator).  Don't know if these are still made.

okay, i have to bump this because I'm in the market for a pre and just spied the audio buddy at the oade site.

Todd, what do you think the feasability would be of digging into the box and patching in past the rectifier? Surely this thing doesn't have any components that run on AC right?

Or, upon further contemplation, do you think it will have a multi-tap transformer for several DC voltages?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 11:26:22 AM by anodyne33 »
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 12:04:42 PM »
I really have no idea what would be in there, but it may indeed use several DC voltages internally.  You could probably do the mods to make it run on an external DC battery, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort for this preamp.  I seem to remember that the Audio Buddy had a pretty low threshhold for input overload, but maybe someone who has had one and run one could comment.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 12:17:34 PM »
Thanks for your input Todd! I'm going to look a little more into this and check the specs out on this. But if it has decent phantom and sounds alright I might give it a shot. I figure it'd be a good winter project... get my electronics skills back into shape. Plus the box is under $100, so not much to lose.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline BLOODYJACK

• Taperssection Regular
    • Bloodyjack
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 02:03:55 PM »
I know the M-audio mobile-pre works as an analoge front end if you connect it to one of the 5v usb battery boxes out there, and you get a mic pre for your computer as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com