Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Reaper Audio Tips and Tricks: Show Reaper some love  (Read 13988 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Re: Reaper Audio Tips and Tricks: Show Reaper some love
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »
Are there multiple EQ FX? - especially a multiband processor like this one:

http://www.waves.com/plugins/linear-phase-multiband-compressor

Reaper includes ReaXcomp for multiband (haven't used it personally), or you can use any VST effect you already own, like Waves Linear Phase MB.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2022, 06:30:39 PM »
Bumping this thread because I have recently discovered the greatest thing for Reaper since SWS Extensions.

This stuff isn't just for people doing "classical" music, but anyone who needs more powerful options for editing in general, especially comping from multiple takes.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=265145
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnoAQtkIUu7yv5mmmFR_JDQ/videos
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2022, 06:34:40 PM »
Here is the theme I have used on and off for years, and recently went back to. IMHO, it is the most polished and well-thought-out Reaper theme. You don't need multiple monitors; you just use CTRL+M to toggle between your edit lanes (with mixer panel off) and the mixer. You do need at least 1080px vertical resolution.

https://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reaper/imperial/wt_imperial.html

If your monitor cannot handle Imperial, this is a very nice one:

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1702/Default_Commala_5.ReaperThemeZip

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline boomfizzle

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2022, 12:50:53 PM »
RE:  Easier Matrixing!

I believe I've struck upon something pretty major in Reaper for our needs:  Stretch Markers.  More specifically, Magnetic Stretch Markers.  The relevant part comes at around 1:10 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjKBp1b8n6o
(when I saw those wavs moving around together my jaw dropped)

I did a little more digging and found this trick, to create Transient Guides automatically https://youtu.be/GRO-ecLZqmw?t=448

I used the transient guides to automatically locate the identical transients between the waveforms and used Magnetic Stretch Markers to line them up (snap and grid disabled) at the beginning and the end of the show.   Once those were synced up perfectly, I just started scrubbing through the files looking for stuff that seemed out of phase.  I'd zoom in, look for a pair of transient guides that seemed to match up, click them to automatically create stretch markers, and I'd line them up using the Magnetic trick (zoomed all the way in to the level of plotted samples) and try again.   As long as I left the playhead within the stretch-markered region I was working on, every additional sync point would add additional clarity and phase alignment.  If I added a new sync point and playback got wonky, I'd delete that set of markers and dive back into the transient guides, looking for a better match nearby.  Then I just cleared the Transient Guides when I was done to leave it with a cleaner look in Reaper.

As I got better with this process, it really got quite easy.  I was able to sync 6 shows that first day I dove in, and although my ears were fatigued enough that I revisited some of them, for the most part I think this idea is sound.  I tried the Excel-Adobe Audition 3.0 method and it was just too confusing for me to get as much work done as I needed to.

Hope this helps others as I really couldn't find anything on the web about this process as it applies to our usual use cases.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 11:15:07 AM by boomfizzle »
Mics: Busman BSC-1 | Nak CM300s | AKG C1000s | AKG C568 EBs | AT853s 4.7k mod | AT2021s | Superlux S502mkii | Superscope EC-3S | Superscope EC-33S | SP-MS-BMC-3 |
Recs: Zoom F8n Pro | Tascam DR-70D | Zoom H6 | Tascam DR-22WL

Offline mountainhop

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2022, 05:14:58 PM »
Finally downloaded & paid for a subscription for this. Thanks Voltronic, you posts have been most helpful in making the decision to go for it.

Now on to join their forums & learn more about this.  :coolguy:
would you mind sharing your best discoveries? its daunting to jump into something new with no guidance

Offline mountainhop

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2022, 05:16:50 PM »
RE:  Easier Matrixing!

I believe I've struck upon something pretty major in Reaper for our needs:  Stretch Markers.  More specifically, Magnetic Stretch Markers.  The relevant part comes at around 1:10 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjKBp1b8n6o
(when I saw those wavs moving around together my jaw dropped)

I did a little more digging and found this trick, to create Transient Guides automatically https://youtu.be/GRO-ecLZqmw?t=448

I used the transient guides to automatically locate the identical transients between the waveforms and used Magnetic Stretch Markers to line them up (snap and grid disabled) at the beginning and the end of the show.   Once those were synced up perfectly, I just started scrubbing through the files looking for stuff that seemed out of phase.  I'd zoom in, look for a pair of transient guides that seemed to match up, click them to automatically create stretch markers, and I'd line them up using the Magnetic trick (zoomed all the way in to the level of plotted samples) and try again.   As long as I left the playhead within the stretch-markered region I was working on, every additional sync point would add additional clarity and phase alignment.  If I added a new sync point and playback got wonky, I'd delete that set of markers and dive back into the transient guides, looking for a better match nearby.  Then I just cleared the Transient Guides when I was done to leave it with a cleaner look in Reaper.

As I got better with this process, it really got quite easy.  I was able to sync 6 shows that first day I dove in, and although my ears were fatigued enough that I revisited some of them, for the most part I think this idea is sound.  I tried the Excel-Adobe Audition 3.0 method and it was just too confusing for me to get as much work done as I needed to.

Hope this helps others as I really couldn't find anything on the web about this process as it applies to our usual use cases.
this is interesting, ive always lined up tthe tracks in vegas and used time stretch, but this sounds more accurate

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2022, 03:56:42 AM »
My experience is that Adobe CC extends time stretch by percentage to something in excess of 8 decimal points, unlike Reaper.  With a simple audience file, a few (under 10 samples) might not be noticeable, but once you get into soundboard files, most people can tell the difference between 10 samples.  Adobe Audition 3.0 is, I have been told, more accurate, and can improve time synching by 3-4 samples per synch point, but Hoserarma is the expert in this matter.  I use Adobe CC for placing the markers and stretching.  Mr. Hose uses Adobe CC for placing markers and then uses Adobe 3.0 for the stretching. 

Just count the samples in base file within the markers, usually every 10-20 minutes, with the file to be stretched, and figure out the percentage difference, whether to shrink or stretch.  There is an excel spreadsheet with preprogrammed formulas widely circulated with room for about 20 marker segments.  Copy the percentage difference, which might have 8+ decimal points, into Adobe CC or Adobe 3.  Repeat for every marker segment.  It is super easy.  The hard part is placing the markers at precisely the right location, and Adobe CC with its wave form mode makes that pretty easy. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com