Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6  (Read 77652 times)

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #360 on: January 17, 2020, 11:00:17 AM »
Any Gefell users run actives via PFA with the 10II?

I'm looking to hear samples as I an considering making the change to the Mix Pre.

Thanks!

I think Gordon runs them with the MP6ii
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #361 on: January 18, 2020, 10:56:20 PM »
I've finally upgraded the firmware to v5.01 from v2.21. (I never use a .0, like the new v6.0 unless it's confirmed stable).

I think the only change I'd possibly use would be pre-roll. Any advice on that?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline rick.lang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #362 on: January 18, 2020, 11:20:59 PM »
The MixPre firmware now supports pre-roll from 5 to 10 seconds; not sure if that is restricted to the generation II and the higher frame rates have the shorter duration as I recall.  Latest version 6.0.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #363 on: January 19, 2020, 12:40:53 AM »
preroll started in 3.0x i believe, and apparently caused bugs in its first iteration. long since resolved
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #364 on: January 21, 2020, 02:12:43 PM »
I finally did a test with a single clip over two hours long.  I jammed the MixPre-6 II from a Tentacle Sync and then attached that Tentacle to my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K to force the camera to use external  Timecode.

There was no dropped frame or drift within a frame!  Good news.

I suspected that Difference of a frame that would show up on the MixPre Jam panel was bogus from something I observed.  If I jammed the MixPre just removing the Tentacle would cause the one frame difference. But plugging the Tentacle back into Aux1, the Difference immediately went to zero without jamming again. Unplugging and replugging without physically jamming again repeatedly caused the one frame issue to appear and disappear.  But it’s only a display issue, the actual Timecode recorded is solid.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #365 on: January 21, 2020, 04:23:56 PM »
im still at a loss for the practical use of TC for multitrack audio purposes.

please correct me if im wrong, but from what i understand after a lot of reading and a little bit of use, timecode does absolutely nothing to lock two audio signals together at the sample clock level

basically it allows start-time metadata  ( from a resettable and sync-able internal clock) to be stamped into the file for use later.

practical use is synching a large number of audio and video files at the frame level.

since most TC signals use something around 30 fps, were talking about 33ms when off by one frame. apparently multichannel audio will start to have audible effects in the 10-20ms range

hardwired TC solutions seem more solid than "jamming" which is basically sybching two clocks and then letting them free-run after that

none of the sonic foundry audio software i was using would even read TC, i just started playing with adobe audition which apparently does, but i havent messed with that yet.

for our typical use (long files of similar length), synching the beginnings up visually in a multitrack wave editor, and stretching/shrinking as needed to make the end match

which is a compromise relative to either running multiple ADs from the same word clock, or using a multitrack recorder with single clock.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #366 on: January 21, 2020, 05:37:41 PM »
I’m far from an expert, but I’ve been told the Timecode used for audio purposes such as word clock (not cinema) is different than the SMPTE LTC.  The Allen and Heath soundboard maintains an audio Timecode for live broadcast to ensure all audio channels are in sync.  I manually synced the audio I received from the Dante 64x64 interface to the soundboard.  Because all the audio channels were the same timing, it was easy to sync visually to my video scratch audio and ambient channel in Resolve.

The Tentacle Sync is providing SMPTE Timecode to ensure audio will sync to video in post processing.  It shouldn’t require any tweaking I’d everything works according to LTC Timecode which was what I found yesterday testing the reliability of the audio recorded by the MixPre-6 II after being jammed and synced with my camera video and embedded audio taking its click from the Tentacle.

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #367 on: January 21, 2020, 07:05:08 PM »

Problem resolved with a workaround.  If the vaunted Resolve auto sync only syncs one audio file to one video clip, I cut my video clip using Mark In and Out to create two video clios in the Media pool based on the duration of the first audio clip.  Now auto sync worked with both audio clips, one for each video clip. 

I need to remember anytime MixPre creates an extended file, that I must cut that video to match the extensions (or learn how to rejoin the extensions into one file while retaining Timecode, which would be better)!

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #368 on: January 22, 2020, 01:25:56 AM »
Time code is positional reference only.
Word clock manages stability as speed and velocity.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #369 on: January 22, 2020, 12:34:54 PM »
I've finally upgraded the firmware to v5.01 from v2.21. (I never use a .0, like the new v6.0 unless it's confirmed stable).

I think the only change I'd possibly use would be pre-roll. Any advice on that?

FWIW I have run 6.0 on a mixpre6 MKII for 3 shows, 6 mics, 32/48 with no issues. Smooth as silk.

In another discovery that probably could use some more testing, I have pre-roll at 8 seconds (I believe). It is very stable now. In experimenting, if I accidentally hit "stop" while recording, pre-roll kicks in so if I hit "record" within 8 seconds I do not lose any of my recording. Is this bit perfect? I have no idea, but even if I lose a few microseconds, it's better than losing a few seconds of a recording. It is rare that I would (especially now) ever hit the wrong button again, but I discovered this by accident when I wanted to hit the "*" button, but hit "stop" instead. I quickly hit record and didn't lose anything thanks to pre-roll immediately kicking in when I hit "stop"..
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com