Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 v1.30 - does the file split drop samples??  (Read 1801 times)

Offline excowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Edirol R-09 v1.30 - does the file split drop samples??
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:29:56 AM »
Hello all,

This is a repost of my first post to TS (original is in the "Recording Media" section)...

I am currently road-testing an Edirol R-09 (firmware: v1.30) for a friend, as we will hopefully making some SBD tapes in the near future with this unit, with a Sony TCD-D8 as a backup.  I've had a play around with the automatic file split feature, the card that is being used is a Sandisk 4GB SDHC card, and I just wondered if anybody has noticed the problem that I have found...

I did a test where I hooked up a CD player to the Edirol's line-in, and set the WAV quality to 48k 24-bit.  The max file limit was set to 2GB, so after it had reached the limit and successfully started capturing to a 2nd file, I stopped the recording and transferred the recordings to my PC.  Upon appending the beginning of the 2nd file to the end of the 1st, I could hear a slight but definite "click" where the 2 WAV files meet.  I was very surprised about this, as I have been reading this board and haven't seen any posts where people are claiming any clicks between split files.

I re-did the test, doing manual file splits, with the same results: a slight click between joins.
Then I set the unit to 44.1k 24-bit... performed the same test... this time there were no clicks!
Redid the test with the unit set to 48k 16-bit.... the clicks came back...
Redid the test with the unit set to 44.1k 16-bit... no clicks this time.
I even tried recording at 48k using a 48k DAT source (albeit with an analog connection), the clicks are there on both the 16 and 24 bit settings.

So... does anybody have any further suggestions?  Should I try a different memory card?  Or is the unit faulty?  Can anybody else reproduce this behaviour?

Kind regards,
Gary

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Edirol R-09 v1.30 - does the file split drop samples??
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:43:53 AM »
I have frequently encountered the 2GB auto-split while recording at 24/48 and have never encountered a click when I join them later (using shntool).
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline excowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:03:32 PM »
I have frequently encountered the 2GB auto-split while recording at 24/48 and have never encountered a click when I join them later (using shntool).

Thanks for your response.  May I ask as to what make/model of memory card you have been using?

I have been loading them into Adobe Audition and joining them that way... could it be possible that the auto-split is somehow across a sector boundary multiple?  Does shntool automatically "round off" samples when joining?  I will download shntool and try joining the WAVs with that.  It might be that the split files contain empty samples at the end which shntool doesn't include, but Audition does.  I'll do more investigation, thanks for the lead!

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 12:19:44 PM »
Transcend 4GB SDHC.

I don't know if there are empty samples included.  Since I haven't had problems, I haven't examined the files.  I know I use the -nopad option in shntool but only because I want the files as recorded.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 12:53:53 PM »
I did a test where I hooked up a CD player to the Edirol's line-in, and set the WAV quality to 48k 24-bit.  The max file limit was set to 2GB, so after it had reached the limit and successfully started capturing to a 2nd file, I stopped the recording and transferred the recordings to my PC.  Upon appending the beginning of the 2nd file to the end of the 1st, I could hear a slight but definite "click" where the 2 WAV files meet.  I was very surprised about this, as I have been reading this board and haven't seen any posts where people are claiming any clicks between split files.

I've used the R-09 to record several recordings that were on minidisc.  After transferring to my PC and joining the split files, which were recorded at 24bit/48khz, they are all seemless.  Haven't tried manual splitting though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com