Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

My DIRECT, FIRST-HAND experience using the Microtrack I or II purely as a bit-bucket can best be summarized as...

Completely and utterly flawless
9 (12.9%)
Very reliable once I understood its idiosyncrasies
30 (42.9%)
Mostly reliable, but problematic enough that I did or will switch to another bit-bucket if/when I can afford one
17 (24.3%)
Not at all reliable
8 (11.4%)
Worthless POS
5 (7.1%)
Worse than worthless, it's dangerous -- my personally-owned MT I/II went up in flames
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: M-Audio MicroTrack I/II as Bit-Bucket Survey  (Read 9279 times)

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
Re: M-Audio MicroTrack I/II as Bit-Bucket Survey
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 02:12:31 PM »
The grace opti-mod does get rid of the word clock out, I don't think there is any way around it.

That said, you don't need an actual word clock out to sync the 722 to a V3>D50 rig -- I did it all the time using the regular coax/spdif out of the V3.  V3 optical out to the D50 with what you want to record on those channels, then V3 coax out (or AES out) to the digital input of the 722/702.  Set the 722 to take analog input (I think the choices are digi-in, analog-in, or auto-select which selects the digital input if it is present or analog otherwise).  Something like that anyway, it's been awhile since I owned the 722 or 702 (owned both). You can't use the auto select option, but if you put a regular coax/spdif output attached to the digital in and select analog input on the 722, the 722 will strip the clock info from the incoming spdif signal and use it as it's clock, so the V3>D50 channels will be synced to the channels you're recording on the 722.  If you do this, an "L" or something like that shows up on the 722 LCD.

I don't know if this works to clock sync with a 744, but it works with both the 722 and 702.

Thanks for this info Todd.  I will have to set up the gear, and see whether it takes the clock from the V3, if I run a coax into the digi-in on the 722, even though the 722 is set to analog.  If that works, then I need to find an opti-mod V3 owner who wanted to swap.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline jsfrank

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »
The latest firmware seems to have made a big difference. I also think I forgot to format the 32 gig card before I used it at 10K Lakes last year. It is working fine now. I am running it every night for 5-6 hours to make sure I can 100% count on it when I head out for my mini Furthur tour and Allgood. I love the idea of having 48 hours of recording time at 16/44.1 after having been restricted to 6 on my trusty old 4 gig card.
Austrian Audio OC818 > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 01:36:51 PM »
I love using my MT2496, and I have had it since it was first released. I have not had any issues in years. I own and Olympus LS-10 and a Tascam DR-07 for low pro situations, but the truth is that when I do not want to worry about anything I take the MT. I have it down to a science and it is the most versaitile of all the above mentioned decks. It has it's quirks, but what deck does not.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline jsfrank

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 06:41:31 PM »
Since the MT II was just over $150 on Amazon I upgraded to one. It does feel a lot more solid. 
Austrian Audio OC818 > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline Rockinman59

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 05:14:43 PM »
After a few issues over the past year, I think I have it working fine at 24/96 with digital in.  The DMA setting to OFF coupled with using ONLY the brand RiData CF cards have rendered the past 15 or so recordings successful.    It has not shut off instead of switching to the next file nor has it cut out on one channel part of the way through a recording.  Kingston CF cards suck period and are not compatable with the MTII nor is the Lexor brand.  San Disk and RiData have had zero problems. 

Is the latest firmware 1.0.7 ?  That's what I have currently with no problems.

Tom
AKG460 JW Mods>UA5 (Wmod)>Marantz PMD661

Offline ghibliss

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 09:52:03 PM »
I have owned both the MT I and MT II recorders since the MT I was released as I was an early adopter.  The MT I had firmware issues which did not affect my usage aside from 24 bit 96 recording initially.  I always used an external spdif signal so the poor internal mic preamplifiers were avoided and the sound quality was excellent.  The new MT II that I use with a Transcend Digital 400X 16 GB card works very well and I have never had any issues recording with it.  I use the same spdif source signal which is always 24/96 with a pair of dpa 4061 microphones for taping in small venue clubs.

I feel that the MT recorders got off to a bit of a rocky start with their firmware which was a poor experience for several early adopters.  Rightfully so they decided to ditch the recorder for something else which seemed more reliable as loosing a recording is always a really traumatic experience for several of us!  I have to say that the MT II is a very stable machine and have yet to stumble on any shortcomings (knock on wood)!  I need to have a stealth rig at the venues which I frequent in New York City as recording is highly frowned upon in most of these clubs.  The Microtrack is the smallest recorder that I know of which provides an spdif input and 24/96 for me to connect my mic preamplifier a/d converter to.  All other recorders are considerably more expensive and significantly larger in size making it far less convenient to be able to get in without being noticed if they are checking at the venue.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com