Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Phantom power on the Microtrack II  (Read 1553 times)

Offline bigcitysound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Phantom power on the Microtrack II
« on: September 22, 2010, 03:20:28 PM »
Hi all

Apologies as no doubt this has been spoken of before. But couldnt find what I was looking for.

Basically I usually use my MTII with a sound devices mixer in front and go into the 1/4" inputs at consumer line level.. its been perfect for this.

Now I am loaning the MTII to a friend that needs to power a Sennheiser ME80 out of one of the 1/4" inputs with 48v activated. I am testing it out for him and it does not sound good.. also if mic is connected to L input I have terrible noise on the R channel as well as the low level sprinkler effect on the L channel. I realize the output of the ME80 is fairly low and I therefore have to use more MT gain than is desirable.

Is there anything to be done to make the ME80 and MTII play nicely together on their own?

Jon

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Phantom power on the Microtrack II
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 05:14:16 PM »
mblindsey posted this a couple of years ago:

"To record with the MicroTrack II's 1/4” inputs, you must record from a balanced source with TRS balanced cables.  If you are recording from an unbalanced line level source or a microphone with an unbalanced (TS) cable, use the 1/8” input instead (with mono microphones, a mono to stereo adapter is recommended); connecting unbalanced cables to the 1/4" TRS inputs yields an audible clicking sound that is recorded.  You can change your input source from the MicroTrack II’s Main Menu>Record Settings>Input Source.

If you are recording with a phantom powered condenser microphone, you must use a TRS balanced cable."

Failure to do so can result in the "sprinkler noise" you are describing.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com