Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Are you sorry you bought the Microtrack?

Yes
30 (25.2%)
No
53 (44.5%)
Not sure yet
36 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Author Topic: Poll: Are you sorry you bought A Microtrack?  (Read 18641 times)

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Poll: Are you sorry you bought A Microtrack?
« on: November 09, 2005, 12:39:51 AM »
SSIA Just curious.

Jeff
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: Poll: Are you sorry you bought A Microtrack?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 01:03:40 AM »
right now, yes.

If the channel swap and tendency for it to stop at odd times is fixed, I will be happy with it.   :laugh:   

I think the white noise problem I was having was due to the CF media, so I will not list that as a problem with the MT. Just dumped the 4 GB dane-elec on ebay, gotta pick me up one of those super-fast CF cards.

Given the bugs present right now, been running the ol' trusty dusty D8 for low-pro when I don't want to be checking the MT's display and rebooting all the time. MT is chillin' on the sideline right now, waiting for a new CF card and firmware release.   

Feels really flimsy in my hand too, which I am not so happy with. Feels like something for toddlers from Toys R' Us.  But as a tiny box for pulling 24 bit digi signals it could be tough to beat once the bugs get ironed out.

edit: FWIW I voted not sure yet.   :) 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 12:25:34 PM by BC »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 01:04:19 AM »
I think the only reason the bugs in this device have been tolerated for so long and accepted is because so many people ordered it.  I think if it had dropped as a surprise after one person tested it with these bugs people woulda said "fuck it"

with that said I am still seriously considering getting one bc i love its small size.  
mics & cameras

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 01:10:15 AM »
It works fine so far for my needs, whivch is basically to get it taped, and pop it on my hard drive  :laugh:
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline fuzn

• Taperssection Regular
  • Don't be weird about it.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 01:38:34 AM »
Jesus christ Boogie. HAHAH. You crack me up. +T. I've been having little kinks here and there with this thing, but i'm finally comfortable using it as much as possible. I'm sure they're working on it. I think i'm set on this thing for good.

I really hope the people that were upset with this thing not coming out sooner don't even think about complaining in here.
DPA 4061s > SP-MicroTrack Dongle > M-Audio MicroTrack

Offline jboyzh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 05:37:14 AM »
Right now and in this pricerange, MT ist the optimum for me and beats all alternatives.

Non, je ne regrette rien...

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 07:54:25 AM »
haven't done 24bit yet, and might not for a while....but it's at least a dat replacement

can't beat the size of it, and haven't had any non-user errors yet.  the convenience of not having to deal with dat tapes / quick uploading is what i dig about it most

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 10:26:56 AM »
off topic slightly.. 

how do you guys feel about having no DAT backup?
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 10:30:40 AM »
how do you guys feel about having no DAT backup?

I feel fine about it, though I've been doing it for some time, now.  With or without the DAT backup, it's important to have an appropriate backup / disaster / recovery plan in place.  With sufficient backups, I don't really worry about it at all.  In fact, going back to some of my old DATs...a couple of them are toast, so I'm glad I'm not relying strictly on the tapes.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 12:52:44 PM »
I want one, but am going to wait until after the next firmware release to bite; and I bet a bunch of others are going to do the same. 

24/96 baby.  :)

I'm waiting for a bit as well. It'll be sweet if Oade offers an anaolog stage MOD for this box.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 12:58:47 PM »
I'm happy. There is still work to be done, but I'm at about 80%-90% on 24/48. I have had to restart a recording during encore break twice, so I wouldn't hit the 2 gig barrier, but I don't mind editing out people talking.

24 bit out of the V3 sounds great, Even at 48 instead of 96.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 02:22:55 PM »
tolerated for so long? wtf? this thing hasnt even been out for 2 months yet

It wasn't marketed as a beta product and that is what it is.  Given the number of bugs, I expected more fixes by now.

personally i cant wait until all these folks who are struggling just getting the input levels figured out actually start dealing with 24/96 files on a regular basis and have to learn all the pitfalls inherent with that format

Why should anyone have to figure out input levels?  Why can't the vendor document the gain?  Why should I have to spend hours measuring gain?  Why should anyone have to discover at a concert that these things can't take a consumer level line in signal?

As for blaming the users, I've been dealing with 24/96 since July on my 722 and dealing with terabytes of data for many, many years.  Most cases of user error are the result of poor documentation.

Fortunately, I've only been using it for analog. If I was having the lockups and random channel swaps that the digi users complain about, I'd be really pissed!  ;)

The R-1 seems to be a Much Much more solid product.  As far as I know, it didn't have so many issues when released.  But the way things look, I don't think Edirol is doing any dev work on it. I doubt it will ever support 2 gig splits, etc.  I'd also guess there are already more MTs in the world than R-1.

The MT does raise the bar for any new products that come out.  That is a very good thing.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 02:42:38 PM »
tolerated for so long? wtf? this thing hasnt even been out for 2 months yet

It wasn't marketed as a beta product and that is what it is.  Given the number of bugs, I expected more fixes by now.

personally i cant wait until all these folks who are struggling just getting the input levels figured out actually start dealing with 24/96 files on a regular basis and have to learn all the pitfalls inherent with that format

Why should anyone have to figure out input levels?  Why can't the vendor document the gain?  Why should I have to spend hours measuring gain?  Why should anyone have to discover at a concert that these things can't take a consumer level line in signal?

As for blaming the users, I've been dealing with 24/96 since July on my 722 and dealing with terabytes of data for many, many years.  Most cases of user error are the result of poor documentation.

Fortunately, I've only been using it for analog. If I was having the lockups and random channel swaps that the digi users complain about, I'd be really pissed!  ;)

The R-1 seems to be a Much Much more solid product.  As far as I know, it didn't have so many issues when released.  But the way things look, I don't think Edirol is doing any dev work on it. I doubt it will ever support 2 gig splits, etc.  I'd also guess there are already more MTs in the world than R-1.

The MT does raise the bar for any new products that come out.  That is a very good thing.

I agree. M-audio is not a mom and pop run business and they have plenty of engineers to get this resolved ASAP. Going on 1 month and not a single other update? Something screwy is going on.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 04:39:07 PM »

Please detail the showstopping bugs of which you're aware.  Beta schmeta, call it what you wish.  The reality is that companies of all sorts release highly complex technological devices before they're perfect.  It helps stimulate the market and plenty of early adopters are happy they do so.  If it works reasonably well - and IME it does - then it doesn't matter what you call it.

You're obviously not an early adopter.  Instead of getting so wound up about how companies like M-Audio *should* act - esecially since there's nothing you can do to change it - why not just let it go?  We've heard the moaning about releasing it too early, etc. before, and frankly, it's tiresome.  If it doesn't perform as you wish, wait for M-Audio to fix the problems about which you care, or get another device.  Ahhhh, it seems you have the 722 already.  Does it suit your purposes?  Excellent.  (I'm sure *it* didn't have any probelms when it came out.)  ::)  Well, for ~$2,000 less than the 722 I'm now recording at 24-bit without compromising the pre/ADC of my preference.  I, for one, am glad they released it "too early".

Why should anyone have to figure out input levels?

The MT's level meters prove stable for roughly 10-25min.  That's more than enough time to set levels for most people's purposes.  Sure, it's a bug, but not a showstopper.

Why can't the vendor document the gain?

It's a consumer device, despite marketers' suggestions to the contrary.  Consumer-level users generally are not concerned with such specific matters - if they can plug a mic into it and have it work reasonably well, they're all set.  Do what everyone else does if you have questions not covered by the documentation - write M-Audio tech support.

Why should I have to spend hours measuring gain?

You shouldn't, that's why tech support exists.  But most users - and tapers make up a tiny, insignificant percentage of their market base - don't care specifically how much gain each L/M/H stage adds.  They plug it in, and if it records in any one of those settings, they're happy.  If you don't want to test the gain for yourself, call them.  If they still don't address the question, escalate it to a supervisor.  If you don't receive the answer and you're unhappy with their support model and the device, then move along to something else.  This is how the market functions.  Moaning doesn't accomplish anything.

Fortunately, I've only been using it for analog. If I was having the lockups and random channel swaps that the digi users complain about, I'd be really pissed!

I've encountered neither channel swaps (hardly a showstopper, anyway) nor lockups while recording.  This device is not as utterly unstable and useless due to showstopping bugs as everyone seems to think.

For the taper market, anyway, they serve two different purposes:  one primarily as a stealth analog-in recorder, the other as an analog-in recorder, but more importantly a bit-bucket.  The reason it seems more tapers have bought MTs than R1s is because of the digi-in capabilities, IMO.  That's why *I* have it, and I suspect plenty of others as well.
Roland R-05

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 05:30:52 PM »
Please detail the showstopping bugs of which you're aware.

I'm not their lacky.  Funny thing, I expect to get paid to track bugs for for-profit companies.  Seems like they need to hire some consultants to mop up some of the product issues.

Beta schmeta, call it what you wish.

They call it a BETA.

You're obviously not an early adopter.

Depends on how serious the vendor is about correcting problems.  There are so many, that I maintain it is a bit of a joke.  Me calling them and saying "Hey, I just noticed channels swap on digital input!" seems kinda silly.  Or, "Hey, it just hung on me!"  Or "Hey, I just lost my config again and it is back to factory defaults!".  "Hey, the meters don't work!".  Etc.

This is stuff that comes up within a few hours use.  Bugs that obvious should be corrected before release.

Instead of getting so wound up about how companies like M-Audio *should* act - esecially since there's nothing you can do to change it - why not just let it go?  We've heard the moaning about releasing it too early, etc. before, and frankly, it's tiresome.

I'm not wound up - I develop product for a living and I tell it like it is.
Perhaps I was mistaken about the subject of this thread?

If it doesn't perform as you wish, wait for M-Audio to fix the problems about which you care, or get another device.

So... Is there a schedule for a formal PRODUCTION release (aka, Not Beta)?  No?
Well, how about a list of issues that will be corrected in the next release?

Ahhhh, it seems you have the 722 already.  Does it suit your purposes?  Excellent.  (I'm sure *it* didn't have any probelms when it came out.)  ::) 

Let's stick to something more comparable.

How many problems did the R-1 have when it was released?

The MT's level meters prove stable for roughly 10-25min.  That's more than enough time to set levels for most people's purposes.  Sure, it's a bug, but not a showstopper.

That is pathetic.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 05:34:31 PM »
Some people just like to bitch.   :-\  <------  Gotta strike that, not really fair and came across crankier than I actually am this afternoon.  Sorry to hear it doesn't meet your approval, Freelunch.  But for many of us, even in its beta state, it works quite well.  Not perfectly, but Good Enough.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 06:08:10 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Roland R-05

Offline coloartist

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 05:57:07 PM »
 ::)
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

Offline Steelcorner27

• Taperssection Regular
  • Audix ADX20-D, DPA 4061, Audix M1290
    • Steelcorner27 Trading Page
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 08:28:08 PM »
I don't know the thing works fine for me, all my recordings have been analog in 24\48 but I really havent had any issues other than the meters wigging out but I'm 6 for 6 complete error free shows, looking forward to getting a 24bit pre-ad so i can try that route.

Brad

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2005, 12:00:46 AM »
for my use of ONLY SPDIF in i can't complain 1 bit :)

I havent tried it at 24bit yet only b/c my computer isnt capable of handling it, so in a couple months when i get a new one, i will then truly be set!
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 01:32:06 AM »
I don't know the thing works fine for me, all my recordings have been analog in 24\48 but I really havent had any issues other than the meters wigging out but I'm 6 for 6 complete error free shows, looking forward to getting a 24bit pre-ad so i can try that route.

Brad

Does anyone have an opinion of R1 vs MT analog in?  What about the preamp?  What is the quality?  Does anyone know what chip is used?

I'm thinking of something like this for analog in mostly, with or without an external preamp.

Thanks,
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2005, 10:15:10 AM »
freelunch, this product is just not for you, apparently.  seems you just can't get past the beta.
we all live downstream.

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2005, 10:21:20 AM »
freelunch, this product is just not for you, apparently.  seems you just can't get past the beta.

Well, when people apologize for a large corporation's buggy product, it seems they need to be reminded frequently that even the large corporation doesn't consider it production yet.

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 10:24:18 AM »

a fast and effective resolve for those dissapointed with their MT...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=7.0
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 10:29:30 AM »
Well, when people apologize for a large corporation's buggy product, it seems they need to be reminded frequently that even the large corporation doesn't consider it production yet.

I've seen no one "apologizing" for a large corporation's buggy product (though honestly, I'm not sure what that even means).  But rather simply accepting reality as what it is and relating our experiences, rather than letting idealistic principles prevent us from actually using a device that, for us, works Good Enough.
Roland R-05

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2005, 10:48:54 AM »
the meters become worthless with time?

that has a major league suckage factor to it!

:exits thread:

It makes me cringe too... I'm a neurotic level checker...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline coloartist

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005, 11:14:34 AM »
I don't even look at my meters. My meters are on my V3. All I keep checking is the time going by. If it has stopped, it is bad, if it is going,it is good.  ;)
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

e1ghtyf1ve

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2005, 11:21:40 AM »
If the MT works for you, great.  I could see this sweat shop "product" from a mile away.  There are much better things to buy for $300... ;D

e1ghtyf1ve

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 11:36:02 AM »
If the MT works for you, great.  I could see this sweat shop "product" from a mile away. 

There are much better things to buy for $300... ;D

Like what ?

Oh, I don't know, like taking your better half out for a nice night on the town or something... 8)

My point is you will need to spend much more to get quality engineering in a 24-bit recorder.  If you need something pocketable, you may need to wait.

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2005, 11:50:57 AM »
Works great for me!  I just want something w/ a dig-in so's I can dump to it.  The MT performs that function pretty darn well now, and it will keep getting improved as time goes by.  I've only had it fail once on me so far, and that was user error as far as I can tell.  If ya don't like it, ya don't gotta buy it folks  ;).  The meter probs don't matter to me cause I use an outboard pre, and the 2 gig thing is easy enough to get around.  If it's gonna be a real long set, just run at 16/44.1.  And I really love not having to lug the laptop to get 24bit!  More importantly, the price is right.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2005, 11:58:53 AM »
The only reason the meter thing bothers me is because they'd be my only meters - I'd rely on the MT's A/Ds.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

e1ghtyf1ve

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2005, 01:10:25 PM »
The only reason the meter thing bothers me is because they'd be my only meters - I'd rely on the MT's A/Ds.

...and for that much of your hard earned cash, you should have the right to use it as it's marketed - a complete 24-bit recorder in the palm of your hand.  I hope it will be in the future, but right now?  I'm not so naive to believe that a commercial company should behave morally, but come on.  There are laws against false advertising.  These ought to be strictly enforced.  *Wakes up*

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2005, 01:21:14 PM »
Give Maudio a break man.  Everything will be sorted out soon.  I wouldn't go so far as to say false advertising.  That's a bit much.  The only thing I would gripe about is the fact that they didn't come right out and say that the phantom was only 30v instead of 48v.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2005, 09:49:51 PM »
Jerry's dead, phish is done, and the MT's are garbage :P 8)

move on.....

;D ;D

all of these one million MT threads just turn into people that bought them justifying the purchase and people that dont own them thinking they are useless and bitching about them(I'm the latter)

it comes down to this:

WE ALL HAVE GREAT RECORDER options right now, any of these devices beat spending 750 dollars on a new d-8
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2005, 10:00:55 PM »
Jerry's dead, phish is done, and the MT's are garbage :P 8)

move on.....

;D ;D

all of these one million MT threads just turn into people that bought them justifying the purchase and people that dont own them thinking they are useless and bitching about them(I'm the latter)

it comes down to this:

WE ALL HAVE GREAT RECORDER options right now, any of these devices beat spending 750 dollars on a new d-8

Testify!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline chitaper

• Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2005, 12:04:16 AM »
As for product support, Sony made a recorder withe digi I/O but never made a cable that would do it! It was only available in after-market sources, that was a serious flaw in the D8 IMHO.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2005, 12:33:26 AM »
I should have made "I don't own one" choice in the poll. I bet a lot of the yes answers are people who never even touched one. If so this poll sucks & tells me nothing.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 12:40:50 AM by Kindguy »
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline desertsky

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2005, 02:22:31 AM »
After last weekend, I couldn't be happier with my new DPA 4061's > MMA6000 pre > MT stealth rig!   I recorded my very first two U2 shows last Friday and Saturday nights in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand.  Friday night FOB, dead center.  Saturday night in the seats at the back of the arena, a few rows off the floor just to left of the mixing board.  Both recordings turned out great, at least to my ears!   I recorded at 24/48.  The only glitch, which happened Friday night, was my fault.  I somehow accidentally hit the L/M/H switch and set it to H as I was stopping/restarting the recording before the encore to avoid the 2GB limit.  Probably as I was sliding the MT back into my pocket.   So the last 4 songs were heavily clipped.  Once they add the auto-restart feature in the next firmware upgrade to address the 2GB limit, that should help prevent any more mishaps like this one.  In the meantime, I now have a glob of epoxy in that L/M/H switch to keep it from moving from the L position.

Here are some sample FLAC (24/48) from the two U2 Vegas recordings:

11/4  "Love and Peace or Else.flac"  -  http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=23TIDW0ZT4GHB0L0VSA4XOCRMI
11/4 "Sunday Bloody Sunday.flac" - http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2Z8GWM21XH1IH0TVJSIWTKLLQH
11/5 "Bullet the Blue Sky.flac" - http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0RH737Z4PS9DF0RTLXWOLH6YJG
11/5 "In a Little While (wth Brandon Flowers of The Killers).flac" - http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=30QS4X9LN1PQU281OQ0NM0ULYD

DPA 4061's, MMA6000 pre, Korg-MR2

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2005, 08:20:08 AM »
Epoxy..  I guess it depends on what you tape.  In some cases, I'll need that extra (hiss laden) gain.  But you have the killer DPA pre, so you won't.

Another option to securing the switches it is to break or cut a piece of q-tip shaft and stick that in the gap and then gaff over it.  More secure then just taping.

I recently added some little squares of gaffer tape to the corners of my MT. The thing is slippery and smooth, so the tape makes it easier to grip.

We now return you to the MT bitch-fest  ;)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2005, 08:53:08 AM »
Sony made a recorder withe digi I/O but never made a cable that would do it! It was only available in after-market sources, that was a serious flaw in the D8 IMHO.

i am hardly a sony apologist, but your statement is totally false.  they made coax > 7pin cables, optical > 7pin, mini-optical > 7pin, and probably more that i never owned.

Offline Diver4243

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2005, 11:41:36 AM »
I saw a few comments about folks holding off on 24 bits and 96 sampling because their computers wont' handle it or something. What inhibitors are there to using these settings? Can't I just records at these (I know the files will be much larger) and then dump the files to my hard drive (win xp) and burn them to a cd with windows media player or something? maybe windows media player can't handle these settings?

Offline Brian

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2005, 11:54:39 AM »
I saw a few comments about folks holding off on 24 bits and 96 sampling because their computers wont' handle it or something. What inhibitors are there to using these settings? Can't I just records at these (I know the files will be much larger) and then dump the files to my hard drive (win xp) and burn them to a cd with windows media player or something? maybe windows media player can't handle these settings?

you would have to have one slow computer to not be able to handle 2 channel 24/96 files

for simple transfer and archival burns, i'd say any computer with enough HD space and a burner would do.

Offline desertsky

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2005, 03:11:46 PM »

You can take advantage of 24 bit recordings with a standard dvd player hooked up to a decent stereo system.  I burned the two U2 Vegas shows I recorded in 24/48 to an audio dvd using Audio DVD Creator, http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/
A standard dvd will accept up 24/96 PCM audio.  Audio DVD Creator will automatically create the menus for selecting the recording you want to hear and jumping to specific tracks.  And your recordings will be gapless.

DPA 4061's, MMA6000 pre, Korg-MR2

Offline Steve J

• Rain Festival Specialist
    • The Neighborhood
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2005, 06:02:33 PM »
Overall, I think the MT will work for a lot of people; and if M-Audio comes through with the firmware changes, I might even say it'll work for most people. However, I sent mine back.

My intended purpose for the MT was as a 2-channel 24/96 backup unit (digi in), not as a primary recording device. I think the SD722, or more likely the new Tascam CF recorder, would be more appropriate for what I'm trying to do. The MT is still pretty neat for what it can do; but I couldn't foresee many instances where I'd be using it. I decided that the $$ could be applied to something I would use a lot...like a new set of monitors!
Humans are the only animals that follow unstable leaders.

Offline chitaper

• Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2005, 08:40:42 PM »
Sony made a recorder withe digi I/O but never made a cable that would do it! It was only available in after-market sources, that was a serious flaw in the D8 IMHO.

i am hardly a sony apologist, but your statement is totally false.  they made coax > 7pin cables, optical > 7pin, mini-optical > 7pin, and probably more that i never owned.
I'm talking I/O cables - I'm not aware of any Sony cables that did this. I have a coax > 7-pin Sony cable, but there's no end for output. As in Input/Output

Offline chitaper

• Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2005, 12:44:15 PM »
they certainly made I/O (both In and Out on one 7pin head) versions of the optical cables...cant say for sure on the coax versions myself as i always used the oade version

boogie
That's right, they did make a optical I/O. Not much use for that one though, which is why Oade, Sound Pro and Core Sound started making their own coax I/O.

And let's not forget the wonderful SCMS "feature" of the D8/D7.

Offline Aaron41

• Quack
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2005, 02:48:35 PM »
I'm still drooling over this thing even after all the "complaints". I am currently running a second-hand JB3. While it gets the job done, spending $300 on a recorder that records at 48/24 sounds pretty damn good to me STILL. After they bring it to 96/24 I'll be all over it.

I've heard some tapes done with the MT and they sound great. I love Skalinder's Nickel Creek set with the unit.

It is still a wonderful stealth tool too from the looks of it.

I still think this is a case where everyone thought this unit would totally change taping for the better. It is just a great alternative to a MUCH more expensive recorder. I'd love a 722 but can't justify dropping $2300 for it.

A firmwire upgraded MT will most likely be a part of the massive upgrade I do in a year or two.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2005, 04:35:54 PM »
I'm still drooling over this thing even after all the "complaints". I am currently running a second-hand JB3. While it gets the job done, spending $300 on a recorder that records at 48/24 sounds pretty damn good to me STILL. After they bring it to 96/24 I'll be all over it.

I've heard some tapes done with the MT and they sound great. I love Skalinder's Nickel Creek set with the unit.

It is still a wonderful stealth tool too from the looks of it.

I still think this is a case where everyone thought this unit would totally change taping for the better. It is just a great alternative to a MUCH more expensive recorder. I'd love a 722 but can't justify dropping $2300 for it.

A firmwire upgraded MT will most likely be a part of the massive upgrade I do in a year or two.

You can have my practically-new only-used-it-twice  MT for $250.  I'm serious.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »
After last weekend, I couldn't be happier with my new DPA 4061's > MMA6000 pre > MT stealth rig!   I recorded my very first two U2 shows last Friday and Saturday nights in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand.  Friday night FOB, dead center.  Saturday night in the seats at the back of the arena, a few rows off the floor just to left of the mixing board.  Both recordings turned out great, at least to my ears!   I recorded at 24/48.  The only glitch, which happened Friday night, was my fault.  I somehow accidentally hit the L/M/H switch and set it to H as I was stopping/restarting the recording before the encore to avoid the 2GB limit.  Probably as I was sliding the MT back into my pocket.   So the last 4 songs were heavily clipped.  Once they add the auto-restart feature in the next firmware upgrade to address the 2GB limit, that should help prevent any more mishaps like this one.  In the meantime, I now have a glob of epoxy in that L/M/H switch to keep it from moving from the L position.

Here are some sample FLAC (24/48) from the two U2 Vegas recordings:

11/4  "Love and Peace or Else.flac"  -  http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=23TIDW0ZT4GHB0L0VSA4XOCRMI
11/4 "Sunday Bloody Sunday.flac" - http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2Z8GWM21XH1IH0TVJSIWTKLLQH
11/5 "Bullet the Blue Sky.flac" - http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0RH737Z4PS9DF0RTLXWOLH6YJG
11/5 "In a Little While (wth Brandon Flowers of The Killers).flac" - http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=30QS4X9LN1PQU281OQ0NM0ULYD

Wow, i just listened to sunday bloody sunday and that bass reponse is killer.  Very nice stealth tape, boy am i jealous!

As for the Tracker, i'm just waiting till they get all the bugs worked out so i wont have any issues in a stealth scenario and i'll jump on one asap.  The meters thing would freak me out too and yes, i would consider that a showstopper is i can't tell if i'm clipping or not.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline RumoredToTheSN

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2005, 10:28:53 PM »
You can have my practically-new only-used-it-twice  MT for $250.  I'm serious.

i'll take you up on that!

:o

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2005, 10:36:41 PM »
Are you sorry you bought A Microtrack?

Well, in the 7 hours I've owned one, the answer's no....

I'll report back further after Mule Wednesday night.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline oldwave

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2005, 10:46:25 PM »
OK I bought the microtrack with an open mind even after reading the growing pains that might be fixed with firmware update. However, either I have a bad one or there are some very serious design faults.  I flashed the firmware immediately and began to try to record.  First problem an old slow compact flash card that could not keep up, I figured that out pretty quick, I used a newer one and it cleared up some of the issues there.  I then tried a spidif recording from my computer interface and that worked ok.  The I tried some analog recording witht the 1/8 input.  I found that the shielding on this thing is so bad that when I put my thumb over the lcd screen the level of self noise increased to an unacceptable level, just the electricty from my body was making this thing noisy.  Next I heard of problems using the 1/4 inputs.  I sent a -10 consumer level signal from my cd recorder and the inputs where immediately over level, not a +4 balanced level mind you but a -10!  While the inpurs are marked mic/line, I expect what is happening is that all signal is being routed through the mic preamp, which will make in useless as a line level recorder without major external pads. It also froze a lot as has been reported.  I am calling them tommorow to speak with tech support about the signal input design and see if what I suspect is correct or if the firmware is so bad that the audio is mis routed.  I have been a recording engineer for many years, and in fact worked as a live recording engineer for the Rock Hall for 5 years, I understand levels, impedence, and basic signal flow.  I have beeln hoping for a small minature device that would double as a mp3 player as well as record high quality audio.  It is not quite there yet, it needs a more robust build, line and mic level inputs, (ala the pro walkman from many years ago) and a mature level of dsp progamming before release.  I hope that Tascam or Panasonic steps up to the table and gives a truly pro quality piece at a decent price.  
While this is not meant to rant, I am open to the posiibility that the unit is bad, any body else been able to record -10 line level inputs with out problems ?

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2005, 11:02:35 PM »
"You're obviously not an early adopter."   :P

Offline oldwave

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2005, 05:52:04 PM »
Hey all I asked was for some feedback on whether anyone else has the same issues with the line level inputs, not a generic flame. 

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2005, 06:10:42 PM »
It wasn't a generic flame. It was originally directed at me for bitching about *my* microtrack.

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2005, 06:33:07 PM »
Hey all I asked was for some feedback on whether anyone else has the same issues with the line level inputs, not a generic flame. 

Someone wrote to M-Audio and recieved a reply that they are aware of the line-in issue and are going to address it in the next firmware. It's in another thread here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52968.15
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2005, 12:15:00 AM »
25 hours of use in 2 weeks using the  MT2496 recording SPDIF in..only 16/44.1, Thats a lot of use in a short period of time IMO.  NO Complaints!!  will be changing sample rate in about 2 weeks when i get a new comp.

"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

cmoorevt

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2005, 08:04:22 PM »
Got an email from M-Audio today that said a new firmware will be out this Friday.  Considering almost all their other firmware upgrades for other devices come out on Mondays I'll believe it when I see it, but at least it is more promising than what they had been saying previously, which was not much.

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2005, 09:09:01 PM »
Woooo!! Good news! :)

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2005, 09:29:00 PM »
Awesome! Looking forward to it.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2005, 01:45:44 PM »
Got an email from M-Audio today that said a new firmware will be out this Friday.  Considering almost all their other firmware upgrades for other devices come out on Mondays I'll believe it when I see it, but at least it is more promising than what they had been saying previously, which was not much.

Went to the M-audio website today (Friday), I did not see a new firmware.  :(
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Steelcorner27

• Taperssection Regular
  • Audix ADX20-D, DPA 4061, Audix M1290
    • Steelcorner27 Trading Page
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2005, 09:18:24 PM »
8 complete and glitch free recordings and counting seems to be a easy unit to use. Now if that firmware will fix my meters I will be happy as can be.

Brad

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.269 seconds with 88 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com