Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax SX-R4  (Read 31596 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Sonosax SX-R4
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 03:38:08 PM »
any comments on the sonosax house sound (and how prevalent it still is)

I'd describe it as still warm but a very open transparent sound to it. Very accurate detail to it.

Does it smear, spread, or sparkle (sonically) less than the old sx-m2?

I think it's still got warmness but much cleaner than the SXM2.

Thanks!
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 11:44:30 PM »
I like the way it sounds with the Schoeps a lot better than the way it does with the Gefells.  Schoeps > Sax is a well established marriage that's worked well for you for a long time.  Now you have a smaller bag, a lot less connections and the same great sound.  Hell yes I'm jealous.  ;D

I'm sure Teddy will have some AKGs for you to try.  I want to hear it with Jessie's Funken Tubes.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:47:36 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline andyjah

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2012, 12:30:21 PM »
I like the way it sounds with the Schoeps a lot better than the way it does with the Gefells.  Schoeps > Sax is a well established marriage that's worked well for you for a long time.  Now you have a smaller bag, a lot less connections and the same great sound.  Hell yes I'm jealous.  ;D

I'm sure Teddy will have some AKGs for you to try.  I want to hear it with Jessie's Funken Tubes.

Joe, I do think there is a somewhat brighter sound with this than my old rig. I'd describe the difference as brighter and more open but still a beautiful warmth to it with more accuracy in the instruments. 

I think the gefell hypers would have been a better match for that room.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2012, 10:42:38 PM »
How is the display and level meters?
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline andyjah

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2012, 08:38:09 AM »
How is the display and level meters?

The level meters are a little small on the eyes but once you learn it it's pretty easy. There is a reference level you can set on the meters so you know your hitting the right levels. I have mine set at -9db so as long as I'm pushing a bit past that I know I'm there. The led system is the true way to tell. I forget the settings when the greens, yellows and reds hit but that is what I tend to watch to tell where I'm hitting. As usual with Sonosax it seems to like to be run hot. My SXM2 always liked to be run with the reds just hitting occasionally. Looking forward to getting it out in the field again this weekend. I was very impressed with the results from that Strangefolk gig.

This summer I'll be hitting Phish at Jones Beach, Worcester and SPAC. Anyone is more than welcome to try their mics into the other 2 channels that I'm not using for those or any other gigs I'm at where I'm only running 2 channels.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »

Joe, I do think there is a somewhat brighter sound with this than my old rig. I'd describe the difference as brighter and more open but still a beautiful warmth to it with more accuracy in the instruments. 

I think the gefell hypers would have been a better match for that room.

I don't think it sounds brighter with the MK41's, at least not in a bad way... more open?  Yeah maybe a little.  I think the pre's are probably identical, you've taken the apogee out of the loop.

When I heard the Gefell source my first thought was "Hmmm too sparkly."  I listened again the next day and I liked it. Gefells, at least the M20 card caps, have a fairly generous presence hump, and SX-R4 may tend to emphasize that rather than minimize it.  IMO the same with the the few Gefell/SX-M2 tapes I've heard.  That's not a dig against the Sax, just an observation.  Some combos are magically delicious, and some aren't.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:21:12 AM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com