Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PCM-D50 problems  (Read 22536 times)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: PCM-D50 problems
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 01:02:08 PM »
has anyone tried running a deneke ad-20 into a d50?

I'm curious on this as well and I plan on running the AD-20 into it.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 03:04:01 PM »
M-Audio has had so much practice at revising their firmware that they finally have gotten quite good at it!

Sorry, how many firmware revisions were there with the MT I? 

Glad Grace and MT have responded quickly, but this obviously sucks for folks who planned on using the D50 with any product besides a V3. 

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2008, 12:38:47 AM »
Is it only me in this forum who is using the D50 with the V3 via optical? I would like to know if anyone experience occasional clicks in the recording and skips using a 4GB HG card after 35min of recording. Maybe it's just a one off situation. I'm going to take it in the field again to see if it is repeatable.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Nataski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 04:19:30 AM »
Hi there,

I have been watching this forum with great interest and thanks everyone for the input and information.  I have a V3 and received a D50 from a colleague in the US in December, expecting I would be able to use it with the V3 spdif - no such luck.  But I was overjoyed when Michael Grace and the guys responded so quickly to the various issues and so shipped my V3 via Fedex (Australia - USA) to have the toslink mod done and the new firmware chip inserted.  The guys at Grace Design (Jamie and Neal) have been great.  Once I have it all back together in Australia - I will test it out.  I am hoping the V3 and the D50 will be a great combination - I really like the D50 for what it is and I have high hopes that it will work great with the V3 and my AKG 414 xls and other mics.  I am mostly recording acoustic instruments, vocals and percussion - including low level sounds such as singing bowls and softly struck gongs.  Thanks again!

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2009, 03:48:01 PM »
Old topic, new problem (for me, anyway)

Wondering if Grace is still doing these chip upgrades, and if anyone has done them lately to facilitate a V3>D50 combo @ 24/48. I've been meaning to send in my V3 to have the polarity on it fixed (a small deal, and one that has not, as of yet affected my taping). I also have a strong possibility of coming into a D50 at a good price from a fair merchant, and would like to get it behind my V3 at 24 bit.

Maybe I'm missing a recent discussion. Maybe I should just contact Grace directly. Either way, thanks for your time!

TB
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2009, 06:28:48 PM »
I changed my chip out in March. No idea if they still have them, but I would think so. I'd give them a call and arrange to get it in for the chip swap and polarity fix. They have a fast turn around.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline notsofast

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2009, 11:28:45 AM »
I have a V3 that was sent to Grace in the spring (thanks Andrew) for the upgrade and it work fine with my D50. Like others I would say give them a call, you will not regret it.

Tim
"Please post the show - I don't think it sucked, which is my normal rule for show postings" Dave Alvin

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 11:16:04 PM »
new problem for me:

I run mics > Oade m148, XLR out > XLR>mini 1/8" stereo cable (Right angle Swithcraft) > PCM D50, line in

I occasionally get small bursts of static in one channel if my D50 gets bumped or moved at all. Normally this isn't a problem since my gear sits in a bag on the floor. Lately when stealthing and having the D50 in my pocket, my recorder moves a little bit and I get static. I'm using a right angle Switchcraft 1/8" stereo connector and it never really seemed to fit right, but always worked as long as everything stays still. Before the Switchcraft right angle plug I had a Neutrik, and it fit even looser, to the point of popping out sometimes if moved at all.

For a while there I was stealthing with a Sonosax that had a mini out and I just used a cheap mini > mini cable from Radio Shack and never had a problem with moving the D50 around to check levels. I guess my question is: Has anyone found a really good, reliable mini 1/8" stereo plug? I need something that I don't have to worry about. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be right angle, just something that definitely works and fits snug.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2010, 06:03:37 AM »
I had Ed at Kindkables make me an RCA>1/8" cable that seemed to work great. Not sure what brand the plug is though.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2010, 10:12:28 AM »
Many Neutrik right angle plugs going into my D50 would cut out the right channel any time pressure was applied to them.  But Switchcraft right angle plugs were too fat to be used into a DPA MMA6000.  Vark Audio made me a cable with Switchcraft at the D50 end and Neutrik at the other, it has worked for several months with no problem.  (I also had no problems with the hideous purple Radio Shack cable with right angle connectors, but it is too long and stiff).  So far Switchcraft has been great, so I'm a little worried at the report of problems.

Jeff

Offline brianp

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2010, 01:11:32 PM »
Ed made me a mini to mini with Neutrik right angles. It's a great cable, but didn't work well with my D50. It kept popping out. I eventually moved that cable to the car for the iPod hookup and it's great!

The Swithcraft right angle seems to be pretty good, but again if I move it just a little bit sometimes the right channel drops out or I get static. So far the only cable that has worked perfectly has been the cheap, straight plug from Radio Shack.

John, is your cable a right angle plug? If so can you figure out the brand? Or email me a picture?

Right now my fix for the Switchcraft right angle has been to put a fat rubber band around the cable and the D50, wrapped twice. It works pretty good, but when stealthing the other night I had problems when moving the unit just the slightest bit to peep my levels.

I think the line in on the D50 was manufactured just a little smaller than spec. I say this because when you view the plug going into say an iPod and compare it to the D50 it just doesn't fit the same way.

I think my new solution may be to hack a cheap Radio Shack cable with my current XLR cable. or maybe even an iPod earbud cable end.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »

Here's the mini end of that cable. Never had a problem with it and the D50. In fact it alwasys snapped in with a nice click. I should be getting my M10 tomorrow - hope this works with that also since I'm headed down to Knoxville to use it for the TAB show.

EDIT: Just did an online search and it looks like that's a Neutrik plug. Weird - always seemed solid with the D50. Definitely going to do some tests before I rely on it with the M10!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:19:45 PM by johnw »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2010, 02:34:48 PM »
The problem I see with the Neutrik, Switchcraft, or any solderable 1/8 jack is the size of the connector housing and the leverage it places on the jack. Same goes for a straight plug, even the smaller molded plastic ones. I actually roll-up paper spacers and fit them between the body of the RA Neutrik connector and the recorder or preamp before gaff-taping it down, in an effort to reduce the considerable leverage stress on the jack. 

IMO, the best 1/8" patch cable is one with the smallest molded connectors available.  The super cheapo right angle ones available in various lengths from SoundProfessionals are the smallest I've found and have never failed on me or caused jack problems.  I've used them in the MMA6000, Church Ugly, R-09, SD MicPre and others for years.

The photo below is a link to the SP page (it's part # SP-SPSC-7)-
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2010, 02:48:36 PM »
Agree completely with Gutbucket - a right angle cable with a long, stiff tail can still put a *lot* of strain on the socket.

You can make your own tiny connectors by cutting down existing designs and potting with expoy.  Just don't put 3" of heatshrink on there...  You just don't need it, because if you flex the damn thing that much your socket is going to fail.

Offline brianp

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2010, 03:23:25 PM »
Great info Gutbucket and Freelunch!

I think part of the problem with the right angle Switchcraft for me has more to do with the heavy duty shrink wrap that wants to tug it out of the socket. Never thought of it that way, but it makes sense. I'm definitely going to look into getting a few of those Sound Professional plugs. Those look perfect.

John: that looks exactly like the Neutrik connector Ed made for me except mine is silver and not gold plated. Make sure you test it out good before using it with the new Sony. You never know though, maybe my line in is a little weird, or maybe the M10 is built differently.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.29 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com