Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R1 innards?  (Read 1710 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Edirol R1 innards?
« on: December 03, 2005, 09:42:04 PM »
Has anyone taken apart the Edirol R1 yet?

In particular, I'm wondering:
- what are the mic pres?  Would they be 4560 or similar, like the UA5 uses?  I'm thinking of using mic in and adding a mic pre later.
- is there any gain on line in?  Oade has mods that also add 6 and 12dB, so I'm wondering what they do.

Thanks,
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline aberg

• Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Re: Edirol R1 innards?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 11:37:51 AM »
Has anyone taken apart the Edirol R1 yet?

In particular, I'm wondering:
- what are the mic pres?  Would they be 4560 or similar, like the UA5 uses?  I'm thinking of using mic in and adding a mic pre later.
- is there any gain on line in?  Oade has mods that also add 6 and 12dB, so I'm wondering what they do.

Thanks,
  Richard

All I know is that the mic pre is only on the 1/8" mic input. As such, I would be surprised if it was the same as the UA-5 pres. Using an external pre is the way to go IMO.

Offline qpwoei

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Edirol R1 innards?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 12:56:02 PM »
Hi all, first post here

I just got the R1 a couple days ago and spent some time investigating preamp performance (because most sounds I record are natural  and low level).

The mic input is very noisy at mid-high gain, so I'm using a little preamp manufactured by in UK by Fel Communications. That way I avoid going into the noisy part of the pre. The Fel is reltvlly cheap (near 120 Euro), silent, and uses power from the R1 mic-in. Actually the Fel has no gain control, so it is a 20 dB booster rather than a true pre...This configuration results in reasonably noise-free recordings: RodeNT4>Fel>R1 mic (wheel below middle).  To record more hot sources I remove the Fel an let the R1 to do all the preamplification (again with wheel below middle).

And yes, the line-in input *does* respond to gain control (I read somewhere that its the same circuit as the mic, only with a -20dB pad). It does NOT has plug-in power, though.

In conclusion, The R1 is obviously not designed to do my kind of recordings but, you know...

Hope that helps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com