Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New SONY PCM-A10  (Read 126363 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: New SONY PCM-A10
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2019, 12:13:12 AM »
if its buffering while writing it could be (up to) 2X as much power to write data, if in fact data writing is the lions share of the power consumption
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2019, 01:39:09 AM »
The internal battery’s supposed to run 6:35 at 24/96 and 13:15 at 24/48. If this is true, there aren’t many occasions where you need anything more than the internal battery...

I seen this a couple of times now. Why does it take so much more power to store 24/96 vs 24/48 ? I get that it needs mush more storage space for the 24/96 recording. But and the rest of the power needs are ~ the same ? Or am I missing something here ?

It's sampling twice as frequently, makes sense it will take about twice as much power.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2019, 02:26:43 AM »
The internal battery’s supposed to run 6:35 at 24/96 and 13:15 at 24/48. If this is true, there aren’t many occasions where you need anything more than the internal battery...

In my tests, I got run times of almost 24 hours of continuous recording.

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2019, 02:43:39 AM »

What about after 4-5 years when that capacity has gone down to 60% (and even worse moving on from there)? 

It's not that I'm worried I'm going to run out of battery while recording right when I get thing, it's that eventually the battery will need to be replaced as it will have deteriorated to an unusable state. 

At that time there are some obvious downsides: Sony won't service it for less than ~$200, tearing such a small intricate device apart oneself is not without a bunch of stress / risk of damage, and one often struggles to find the exact part used more and more as time goes by.   

They should have gone with a AAA like the LS-P4, and given us more assured longevity.

That is the EXACT reason I have yet to pull out the credit card for one. I hate the limitations (short and/or long term) of internal batteries.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #169 on: February 03, 2019, 01:16:22 PM »

I seen this a couple of times now. Why does it take so much more power to store 24/96 vs 24/48 ? I get that it needs mush more storage space for the 24/96 recording. But and the rest of the power needs are ~ the same ? Or am I missing something here ?

What you're missing is that those times refer to the length of recording time using the internal 16 GB memory, not battery life.

Recording at 24/96, the battery is supposed to last 15 hours.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline zeus163

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2019, 01:30:46 PM »
I think a valid concern is the longevity of the internal battery over time. Although, I have to believe that in the next 4-5 years something else will come on the market that will grab my attention. If such a device doesn't come out and I'm still using the A10, then I'll just have to have an adapter cable to run this in the field.

But...if this device is still is capable of running at 60% in 5 years, I'd still have 6+ hours of running time.

I get your point though.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 02:43:37 PM by zeus163 »
Kangol wearing fool...

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2019, 03:23:42 PM »
I think a valid concern is the longevity of the internal battery over time. Although, I have to believe that in the next 4-5 years something else will come on the market that will grab my attention. If such a device doesn't come out and I'm still using the A10, then I'll just have to have an adapter cable to run this in the field.

But...if this device is still is capable of running at 60% in 5 years, I'd still have 6+ hours of running time.

I get your point though.

True. I think what makes me nervous is that with batteries, all you need to do is pop some fresh one's in. With the internal batteries, if I somehow forget to charge it ... there's little that can be done. I'm a paranoid taper. Lol.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2019, 05:15:42 PM »

I get your point though.

True. I think what makes me nervous is that with batteries, all you need to do is pop some fresh one's in. With the internal batteries, if I somehow forget to charge it ... there's little that can be done. I'm a paranoid taper. Lol.

but if you were truly "paranoid", then you wouldn't have forgotten to charge it :)

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2019, 08:03:58 PM »

I get your point though.

but if you were truly "paranoid", then you wouldn't have forgotten to charge it :)

Power could go out, partner/child could unplug it, charger could fail...
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline gewwang

« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2019, 09:06:15 PM »

I get your point though.

Power could go out, partner/child could unplug it, charger could fail...

Even if one of those things happened, the battery would still have juice leftover from the last outing... unless the last outing was 15 hours...

Offline gewwang

« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2019, 11:22:35 PM »
A track from my Metallica tape from last week

DPA 4023 > Sonosax SX-M2 > Mogami interconnect >
Sony PCM-A10 @ 24/96

https://soundcloud.com/user-499246530/metallica2019-01-28t11

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #176 on: February 04, 2019, 02:17:37 AM »
do they still allow open taping?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #177 on: February 04, 2019, 02:31:37 AM »

Sony PCM-A10 @ 24/96

This sounds excellent! There's still a good amount of low end even though Metallica's live sound basically lacks any audible bass. At least it was like that when I saw them last year.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #178 on: February 04, 2019, 08:58:59 AM »
do they still allow open taping?

haven’t heard of anyone open taping them since maybe 96? i still have never met anyone that did open tape them when it was allowed.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #179 on: February 04, 2019, 09:04:44 AM »

Sony PCM-A10 @ 24/96

This sounds excellent! There's still a good amount of low end even though Metallica's live sound basically lacks any audible bass. At least it was like that when I saw them last year.

agree about the metallica sound. it looked like they line the bass cabinets up in the corners of the floor instead of near the stage and i was about 15 feet center on one end of the floor pretty far from the corners.

the dpa>sax combo always captures all of the low end, which in many cases isn’t desired, but great in this case.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com