Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1/8" input w/tip of jack busted in it  (Read 6780 times)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
1/8" input w/tip of jack busted in it
« on: March 19, 2008, 02:49:12 PM »
I have a device with a 1/8" input and the tip of the jack that was in the input snapped off and is stuck in the input. 

I tried getting it out with a bobby pin and with a magnet. (not a storage device, so can't erase any data) No luck.

I was thinking about using gum, but probably not sticky enough?

I could also put some gorilla glue on the other end of the jack that broke and try and pull it out, but this may damage the jack. Perhaps worth a try.

Any MacGuyvers out there with other ideas?
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
Re: 1/8" input w/tip of jack busted in it
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:25:55 PM »
is the edge jagged?  i use potatos on broken lightbulbs and they come out easily.  just cut a spud in half and screw it in.
prob not the best idea for your device, sorry.

Offline Belexes

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 03:33:11 PM »
Nah, the damn thing is flush. It's all my fault, I was too forceful and had some dimished capacity because of some adult beverages.  +T on the potato remedy though. I had to do that once with one of my outdoor garage lights.

I have some stores to take it to in town to perhaps get a pro fix, but at a price of course.

From the searches I have done online, people have had this happen a lot to Ipods and similar devices

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline beefstew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 05:16:55 PM »
maybe solder a little metal stick to it and pull it out?
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 05:36:51 PM »
I was just at Home Depot for a set of measuring calipers (doesn't everybody do that?).
There was a pretty nice looking hobbyist pick set (dental-like tools).
Maybe someting like that?
I had one break off, many years back, and was able to get it with a pair of forceps.

I'm proud of you Moke.  No dremels, no open flame.  An actual safe method.  Must've been after the power sander failed to fix it. :)
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline reverser

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 05:53:41 PM »
maybe solder a little metal stick to it and pull it out?

This sounds like a good approach to try before paying money to have someone do it.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 06:49:07 PM »
I have a device with a 1/8" input and the tip of the jack that was in the input snapped off and is stuck in the input. 

I tried getting it out with a bobby pin and with a magnet. (not a storage device, so can't erase any data) No luck.

I was thinking about using gum, but probably not sticky enough?

I could also put some gorilla glue on the other end of the jack that broke and try and pull it out, but this may damage the jack. Perhaps worth a try.

Any MacGuyvers out there with other ideas?

Toothpick with a dab of epoxy on it.. Hold it in place on top of the broken jack inside the plug...for 5 minutes be careful not to touch the sides of the jack with the toothpick and use only a very small amount on the tip of the toothpick then when the epoxy hardens gently pull it out.

I have done this and it does work provided you are careful If you are afraid use a very small straw to "line" the wall of the jack and cut it just about the outside of the jack so you can remove it before you pull on the tooth pick. This will prevent the glue from getting attached to the jack..and remember less is better..
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline 69mako

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 12:33:26 AM »

Toothpick with a dab of epoxy on it.. Hold it in place on top of the broken jack inside the plug...for 5 minutes be careful not to touch the sides of the jack with the toothpick and use only a very small amount on the tip of the toothpick then when the epoxy hardens gently pull it out.

I have done this and it does work provided you are careful If you are afraid use a very small straw to "line" the wall of the jack and cut it just about the outside of the jack so you can remove it before you pull on the tooth pick. This will prevent the glue from getting attached to the jack..and remember less is better..

I was thinking the same thing but with some crazy glue.  That stuff sticks to everything it seems.  good luck.

Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 12:50:24 AM »
Tiny bit and cordless drill and a steady hand. Drill into jack until lodged in tight and use bit and drill for leverage to pull out. I just looked at a 1/8" plug and was wondering if the plug sat flush if so this might be pretty risky and better to use CA technique or tweezers. Is it possible to open up the unit and then it might be easier to remove plug?
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 12:54:21 AM »

I was thinking the same thing but with some crazy glue.  That stuff sticks to everything it seems.  good luck.

Mako

You really have to watch crazy glue because its very easy for that stuff to bond to anything especially the plastic on the inside of a jack...

Offline Belexes

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 08:02:50 AM »
Is it possible to open up the unit and then it might be easier to remove plug?

Already opened and the jack is one self-contained unit with no way to push the plug out.

Offline Belexes

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 07:57:26 AM »
I was thinking of shooting a small amount of WD-40 into the jack, or would that just be wrong?

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 10:34:22 AM »
open the unit up and pop it out from the inside.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »
Is it possible to open up the unit and then it might be easier to remove plug?

Already opened and the jack is one self-contained unit with no way to push the plug out.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Belexes

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 11:12:55 AM »

Tried that. The input is self-contained and I can't open the input connection itself.

Hmmm...I am going to a shop today with it and get their opinion. If they think there is no hope, I am going to keep at it. The manufacturer for this item charges $95 per hour for labor, so I don't want to send it there.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 11:48:04 AM »

Tried that. The input is self-contained and I can't open the input connection itself.

Hmmm...I am going to a shop today with it and get their opinion. If they think there is no hope, I am going to keep at it. The manufacturer for this item charges $95 per hour for labor, so I don't want to send it there.

I will fix it for free if you get stuck..

Chris

Offline Belexes

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 12:06:56 PM »

I will fix it for free if you get stuck..

Chris

+T PM sent.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 12:03:22 AM by Belexes »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com