Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: <$4K stealth setup......go!  (Read 13310 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: <$4K stealth setup......go!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 02:00:30 PM »
my thoughts: used 722/702 + used DPA 402x.

BOOYA! That is it!  ;D 

If you need to go even stealthier I guess Sax/MP2 > MT or R09 could be good, like others have said.

Although I personally would not want to run analog in to the MT.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 03:26:37 PM by BC »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 02:14:55 PM »
you could throw an Aerco into the equation as well if you no Sonosax is available. $750 new.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »
i wouldn't hold out for a used 702 - doesn't seem to be many people running them, and i don't think any have come up used yet. the 722 is slightly deeper than the v2 with the large cap battery, pretty much the same width and height though. very easy to get in if you are even the slighest bit creative. the only concern I have getting the 722 into venues is with a wand or a very very tough pat down, even then you can probably get by if you have a good bag to stash it in.

i had some bad luck with my CF card this weekend, so I can't comment for sure, but it appears so far the CF card only will significantly reduce heat. as far as running it from a strap next to your body, it depends how long you would have the unit recording for as well as how tight it is bundled up etc. but probably isn't the best choice for comfort if you are using the internal HD
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 04:20:33 PM »
i had some bad luck with my CF card this weekend, so I can't comment for sure, but it appears so far the CF card only will significantly reduce heat.

bummer about the "issue", but, this is promising! thanks.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72472.0

here's a more detailed report - as soon as I can try to recover the show that had the problem im gonna reformat and try some tests again, but immediately after the show i touched ian's 722 and then touched mine and it was an increadible difference in heat, mine was barely even warm to the touch. i need to confirm though that something was actually written to the CF card though.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 06:57:25 PM »
Schoeps MK5 > Sonosax SX-m2/LS2 > Edirol R09
mics & cameras

Offline manamana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 08:31:28 PM »
I've pretty much settled on the 402xs as the mics... never really been a schoeps fan except in very specific situations (which I won't see too often)

I think now it's new  (v2) 702 vs sax>r09. I'll probably just wait till I see a deal on the 402xs and then decide based on how much is left over. might try to find a local place that has an r09 I could play with, just to check it out.

the 702 because it's cheaper, lighter, and hopefully have better battery life and less heat.

it's interesting that it seems the 722 produces much less heat when just going to flash. I would have expected most of the heat to come from the pre/ad.
4022s > SX-M2 > Sony M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 08:33:23 PM »
I've pretty much settled on the 402xs as the mics... never really been a schoeps fan except in very specific situations (which I won't see too often)

I think now it's new  (v2) 702 vs sax>r09. I'll probably just wait till I see a deal on the 402xs and then decide based on how much is left over. might try to find a local place that has an r09 I could play with, just to check it out.

the 702 because it's cheaper, lighter, and hopefully have better battery life and less heat.

it's interesting that it seems the 722 produces much less heat when just going to flash. I would have expected most of the heat to come from the pre/ad.

isnt the 722 only about 200 more? if so, thats worth the HD alone IMO

you could write to cf only during the show and then transfer to the 722 HD between sets/after show
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline manamana

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 08:40:18 PM »
from what I've seen a 702 bottoms out around $1850 new and the 722 at $2375. if you subtract out the cost of a 4GB CF card, it's still about a $450 difference.
4022s > SX-M2 > Sony M10

Offline manamana

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 09:45:34 PM »
yeah, size is pretty much my only concern with the 702 at this point. ease of use is a big one for me though, and the 7 serries seems to have that in spades. I might be looking at the pda setup if there were a more viable stealth A>D around.

I guess I am kinda overconfident about the stealthability of the 7 serries. I can remember sneaking the 170s, a stand, the V2, and a DAP1 past a pretty thorough bag search, and after that, The 702/722 seems kinda paltry in comparison. *Not that I'd put up with something that was even remotely that much hassle ever again*

I guess I'm trying to figure out what situations I'll be in (and how often) in which I could get the sax>r-09 in, but not the 702. at the moment I'm thinking it's not that often.
4022s > SX-M2 > Sony M10

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 12:16:08 PM »
from what I've seen a 702 bottoms out around $1850 new and the 722 at $2375. if you subtract out the cost of a 4GB CF card, it's still about a $450 difference.
So really there's a $525.00 dollar difference between the 722 and the 702.Thats alot for a 40 gig hard drive imo.I'm sure it's nice to have that HD at festivals though.

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 12:48:11 PM »
So really there's a $525.00 dollar difference between the 722 and the 702.Thats alot for a 40 gig hard drive imo.I'm sure it's nice to have that HD at festivals though.

but keep in mind you're not just paying $525 for a 40g drive - its $525 that covers the drive, the hardware and software that integrates it, firmware to create files, folders, etc...
i actually really dig the fact that it has a drive -it allows me to tape a few shows without having to worry about space. and yes, for festivals its great.
Sometimes when i do a few nights of shows in a row, i don't have time nor energy to spend time and offload files from a card when i get home, in order to prepare for the next nights show. Usually i've got the munchies and then i crash. work the next day and then do it all over again. its nice being able to get home, plug the 722 in to charge, and its ready for the next show.

in order to get 40 gigs of space in CF media, you'd spend well over $525.

So factor in all of it - its more work in a way, to have the CF. Another cool thing is with the 722, you can record to both CF and HD at the same time. In a stealth situation this would prove an ideal way to do a "switcheroo" - erase the card (or give it up) and you have yourself a copy on the hard drive.

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 12:53:24 PM »

but keep in mind you're not just paying $525 for a 40g drive - its $525 that covers the drive, the hardware and software that integrates it, firmware to create files, folders, etc...
i actually really dig the fact that it has a drive -it allows me to tape a few shows without having to worry about space. and yes, for festivals its great.
Sometimes when i do a few nights of shows in a row, i don't have time nor energy to spend time and offload files from a card when i get home, in order to prepare for the next nights show. Usually i've got the munchies and then i crash. work the next day and then do it all over again. its nice being able to get home, plug the 722 in to charge, and its ready for the next show.

So factor in all of it - its more work in a way, to have the CF. Another cool thing is with the 722, you can record to both CF and HD at the same time. In a stealth situation this would prove an ideal way to do a "switcheroo" - erase the card (or give it up) and you have yourself a copy on the hard drive.

its also a RAID 1 setup

can you place md5's on a CF card ala the 722 HDD ???

if not, you could just transfer both files and then compare in EAC/Wavelab

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 12:57:44 PM »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2006, 12:59:13 PM »

its also a RAID 1 setup

can you place md5's on a CF card ala the 722 HDD ???

if not, you could just transfer both files and then compare in EAC/Wavelab

well its writing to TWo mediums the SAME data, so what do you mean by eh ???

is it a RAID 0 im thinking of?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006, 01:01:17 PM »
well its writing to TWo mediums the SAME data, so what do you mean by eh ???

is it a RAID 0 im thinking of?

Ah, I see.  The 722 may write to HD and CF simultaneously, so there's redundancy.  Gotcha.  That doesn't really make it RAID1, but yeah, I get what you're saying - the redundancy is surely a benefit to some.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com