Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ext firewire HD  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Thomas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 391/MK90>MP2>SBM1>JB3
ext firewire HD
« on: February 25, 2004, 12:49:16 PM »
I have seen some posts talking about using an external firewire case to house internal HDs.  if anyone can give me some more info on this i would really appreciate it.  i am a JB3 taper, and i have been making .shn backups for everything, and i like the idea of a HD better than a data disc for long term storage.  

Does anybody make one of these cases that can take more than one drive?  

could i buy more drives and swap them out of the same case when i need more space? (would this be safe, how would i store the drives that were not in use?)

thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
thomas
then we tell the kids that its good versus evil
that country and god are more important than people
we say it so much that its almost believable
Fear, we'll leave nobody behind.

radioboy1977

Re:ext firewire HD
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 01:03:23 PM »
i have one of these.  i think it's what you're looking for.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=309695&pfp=BROWSE

Uncle Jimmy

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 02:51:59 PM »
Or, you could realize that the USB 2.0 speeds are a little faster and choose to go that route. Same product, essentially, but they come in either 2.0 or Firewire, or combo.

Also, try www.pricewatch.com and save about 1/2 of the suggestion above.

Good luck,
J----

cpclark

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 02:52:43 PM »
there all over ebay as well, i was thinking of getting one, as internal HD's are so much cheaper than ext. and i use a laptop, so it makes sense

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 03:20:37 PM »
thomas - just one question/point.

i too had the same idea of storing my audio on a firewire drive, instead of many discs.  then my roommate pointed out that you are still relying on 'optical media' with either option.  

i feel much better about storing the data on an optical disc and then storing it myself, than relying on a a drive which could be more sensitive to power surges or integrity loss.  it doesn't matter if it is a DVD or a CD or a harddrive, they are all optical (varying degrees of stability!)

hope this helps you out, even though you may still go the direction you mentioned.

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 04:50:53 PM »
this gets discussed ad nauseum on tapeop.  here is one of the shorter threads on it:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=10055

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 01:24:21 AM »

i too had the same idea of storing my audio on a firewire drive, instead of many discs.  then my roommate pointed out that you are still relying on 'optical media' with either option.  

i feel much better about storing the data on an optical disc and then storing it myself, than relying on a a drive which could be more sensitive to power surges or integrity loss.  it doesn't matter if it is a DVD or a CD or a harddrive, they are all optical (varying degrees of stability!)

hope this helps you out, even though you may still go the direction you mentioned.

A hard drive is NOT optical, it's magnetic.

As for storing the other hard drives when not in use... well, I would just use an external hard drive case ;)  No seriously I would, they're not too expensive and you're not likely to find a better solution for less money (aside from screwing them into a bay in your case).
Mike

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 09:24:22 AM »

A hard drive is NOT optical, it's magnetic.

As for storing the other hard drives when not in use... well, I would just use an external hard drive case ;)  No seriously I would, they're not too expensive and you're not likely to find a better solution for less money (aside from screwing them into a bay in your case).

thanks for the clarification.  i guess i should've asked for his source information before buying into the idea.  +T for helping.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com