Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Waves  (Read 1523 times)

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
Waves
« on: March 01, 2004, 02:26:23 PM »
Hey folks,

I have been goofing around with some Waves plug-ins in the past week or two and I have a couple of questions.

Does the IDR actually dither or just quantize the digital signal.  I ran IDR on a small 24-bit file and still had a 24-bit file once the processing was done.  

Also, what Waves plug-in's can be (read: should be)used for resampling and/or dithering.  I becoming a little familiar with the L2, but I am under the impression that is just a limiter/compressor/noise-shaper and doesn't physically dither or resample the file.  

OK, last question.  What order should the plug-in's be run in?  I am under the impression that your L1 or L2 should be the last in line...is that right?  So do I want to dither or resample first before runnning a noise shaper?

Any help is appreciated and please correct me if I am wrong on anything above.  

On the learning curve...Kk
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:55:16 PM by DarkStarJedi »

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Re:Waves
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 03:39:54 PM »
I am also learning about this but I think I may have some valid input.  Pretty sure you would want the L2 at the end of the chain of noise shapers but before dithering/resampling.  The more bits and samples you have, the cleaner any noise shaping will be.

-Kevin

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Waves
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 10:27:33 PM »
I think the Waves plugins are 32-bit plugs. This means, in order to listen on any "normal" system, you have to go back to 16 or 24 bits. It will dither to either (and a few levels in between, I think), but you have to select the output bit depth. It basically "cleans up its own mess" by properly reducing the bit depth.
Out of the game … for now?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com