Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just got a G4 iBook  (Read 3264 times)

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
Just got a G4 iBook
« on: March 04, 2004, 09:16:49 PM »
Hey all, I finally got work to get me a new laptop and brought home a new G4iBook. It's the 14 inch 1 ghz model. And I'm totally geeked. I spent all last night loading Adobe CS Suite and getting it all set. This thing rocks! Now it may be a little bit but once I get mics again I'll be looking to run this for 24 bit stuff. I used it about 4 hours today (running Photoshop and Illustrator) on battery and still shows over 40%.
My question for the mac folks here who are using it for taping is, what optimization tips can you send my way. Stuff to maximize battery life while recording. Also what software do you prefer for recording? I think SPark ME has been recomended in the past. Since I no longer have the mme, I'll probably be looking for UA5 or similar usb/firewire device. I can't swing a V3 or another mme right now so I'm looking for input on the ones close in cost to the UA5.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

jpschust

Re:Just got a G4 iBook
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 09:38:17 PM »
what about looking at the digidesign mbox- comes with protools to record with, 2 decent mic pres and decent a/d conversion

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 09:47:31 PM »
Spark XL is what a lot of Mac tapers are using right now.  As for battery tips, here's what I do:  display sleep at one minute, system sleep never (obviously), automatic processor speed, and never set the hard discs to sleep.  Also, turn off Airport and Bluetooth.  Then set your screen down to the lowest brightness possible.

That would squeeze the most amount of juice while taping ;)

Edit - BTW, +t for joining the light side of the force ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 09:48:12 PM by John Kelly »
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 09:54:03 PM »
Spark XL is what a lot of Mac tapers are using right now.  As for battery tips, here's what I do:  display sleep at one minute, system sleep never (obviously), automatic processor speed, and never set the hard discs to sleep.  Also, turn off Airport and Bluetooth.  Then set your screen down to the lowest brightness possible.

That would squeeze the most amount of juice while taping ;)

Edit - BTW, +t for joining the light side of the force ;)

I've been on the light side for awhile when at work. Just can't bring myself to run my adobe products on a PC anymore. Now I can enjoy it at home as well now.
Thanks for the tips John. (both of you)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 10:55:11 AM »
In addition to what's been said, turn off your ethernet port. It's under "network" settings. You can just uncheck the box and it disables the port.

I assume you're using Panther - best OS out there. Spark is the best out there, but I have found Digital Performer to be more stable. You can do a hell of a lot more with Spark for editing/mastering, though.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 11:57:26 AM »
>> what about looking at the digidesign mbox- comes with protools to record with<<

i haven't used pro tools since probably 2000 and i've never missed it.  I don't see what all the fuss is about...

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 01:30:43 PM »
scott, its the industry standard for recording- thats what the big deal is.  there are a number of other programs out there that are great as well, but its kind of a pain to use anything else since pt is really the cross platform standard

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 02:49:47 PM »
good score with the powerbook.  i have been using peak 4, and i am used to it and like it. i tried spark me but there is no documention and i couldnt figure out what i was doing.

i will say that i prefer sparks interface, but after 3yrs of using peak on my g3 desktop and g4 466, i am used to all the key commands and shortcuts, so i'm sticking with it.

my work just gave me a laptop also...but its a dell d600. nice computer using win2000, but i am a mac guy.

bummer
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 04:47:24 PM »
Thanks all. Once I get done with some other work I have to do on the PC I'm dumping this damn windows desktop off my desk. Taking up to much room! Not to mention I have no desire to ever run my adobe products in windows again.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 04:59:09 PM »
scott, its the industry standard for recording- thats what the big deal is.  there are a number of other programs out there that are great as well, but its kind of a pain to use anything else since pt is really the cross platform standard

ProTools WAS the industry standard.
most studios I know have now switched to Digital Performer or Logic.
M-Box sucks...very noisy preamps

the water's clean and innocent

jpschust

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2004, 05:48:06 PM »
luvean, virtually every major studio i've worked with uses pt as their primary software.  the pre's on the mbox arent terrible, like i said- they are just ok.  i mean come on, its focusrite.  

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2004, 11:32:12 AM »
and most i've seen use performer, logic, nuendo or something else...

Offline cregan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 02:13:17 PM »
I've been using PT MBox lately to do some small project recording using a G4 Powerbook, and it's come out fine.  The mic pres aren't superb, but for 500 bucks you get bus powered interface w/preamps and Pro Tools LE.  They also bundle it with special versions of propellerhead's Reason and Ableton Live now. Also, (studio recording people), Pro Tools just released a 99$ update that converts ALL industry DSP plugins into PT format RTAS.  That's a huge step up in my opinion.

whatever works for you !
"So you're taking a class on possession and trance in music, eh? I'll tell you what, drink ten beers, listen to shack man, and then come ask me about possession trance"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com