Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: WaveLab 4.0 Tracking ?  (Read 2204 times)

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ***Team Schoeps***
WaveLab 4.0 Tracking ?
« on: March 19, 2004, 10:53:14 AM »
Fairly easy, but I may as well ask first.  I have figured out how to place track markers, and how to dither to 16, and how to resample.  The question that I have now is how to separate the recording into separate parts (i.e. markers > tracks)?

In SF 4.5 there is a 'regions > markers' option, but I can't find this function in Wavelab 4.0.  Thanks in advance.

Once I figure this out, I will offer the Deep Fried show from a couple of days ago.  Lots better sounding today for some reason!

Also do the tracks align on sector boundaries or will i need to use shntool after processing?  Thanks
T
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 10:53:59 AM by todd e »

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re:WaveLab 4.0 Tracking ?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 10:57:30 AM »
if you're doing a 16/44 recording, don't use wavelab, use cdwav so that it automatically aligns on sector boundaries.  It's also easier to use.  you can use wavelab for 24bit stuff, cus there's no sector boundary issues.

but, to use wavelab:
-drop your markers where you want track breaks.
-then use the 'Autosplit' function...i forget which pull down menu, it's located in.  
-there are different ways to do it, you just choose based on the markers and then how you want the split files named.

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 11:39:03 AM »
damon,

should i trust cdwave?  i used to have strange problems with it when i was trying out my datdrive.  i can't remember exactly the problems, but i felt reluctant to use cdwave afterwards (besides after all it is free anyways, how good can it be).

also i dithered 24 > 16 using the uv22 algorithm.  then i resampled the file from 48k > 44.1k.  as one would guess, the markers that i had placed in the 24/48 file did not match up with the markers in the new 16/44 file.  why is that?  just different file sizes, etc.

thanks man.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 11:49:01 AM »
are you sure you're thinking of cdwav?  i don't know it's correlation with the dat drive.  I record to the pc using wavelab and then track in cdwav.  been doing that for 5 or 6 years now without problems.  I think cdwav definitely can be trusted.  Plus, tracking in cdwav cleans out all the stupid header info that wavelab puts in there.  if you were to track in wavelab then compress using flac, you'd keep getting "unknown subchunk PAD" errors.  with cd wav, that doesn't happen.

you should resample prior to dithering.  if you are processing wavs (resampling included), dithering should always be your last step.  that allows the program doing the processing to use all the bits available to it.  so, if you record at 24/48, here's how i would do it:
-record 24/48 file in wavelab.
-edit sets to proper length (cutting out the crap before/after the band plays that you don't want)
-add fades at beginning/end of each set in wavelab
-resample to 44.1 in wavelab
-dither to 16bit using whatever dither algorithm you like in wavelab
-save file
-open file in cd wav
-place a track marker at the very, very beginning (0:00:00.01 or whatever the time would be).  this would eleiminiate a sector boundary error on the first track
-split the tracks in cdwav
-add a final track break right at the very end of the file (after the music has faded out, right before the file ends)-this will create a track of like 2 milliseconds long.
-in the bottom of cdwav, unclick the very first track and the very last track (each of these tracks are the 2 millisecond tracks designed to eliminate sector boundary issues).
-then click Save As and the individual wav files will be saved

make sense?

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 12:00:39 PM »
are you sure you're thinking of cdwav?  i don't know it's correlation with the dat drive.  I record to the pc using wavelab and then track in cdwav.  been doing that for 5 or 6 years now without problems.  I think cdwav definitely can be trusted.  Plus, tracking in cdwav cleans out all the stupid header info that wavelab puts in there.  if you were to track in wavelab then compress using flac, you'd keep getting "unknown subchunk PAD" errors.  with cd wav, that doesn't happen.

you should resample prior to dithering.  if you are processing wavs (resampling included), dithering should always be your last step.  that allows the program doing the processing to use all the bits available to it.  so, if you record at 24/48, here's how i would do it:
-edit sets to proper length (cutting out the crap before/after the band plays that you don't want)
-save file
-open file in cd wav
-place a track marker at the very, very beginning (0:00:00.01 or whatever the time would be).  this would eleiminiate a sector boundary error on the first track
-add a final track break right at the very end of the file (after the music has faded out, right before the file ends)-this will create a track of like 2 milliseconds long.
-in the bottom of cdwav, unclick the very first track and the very last track (each of these tracks are the 2 millisecond tracks designed to eliminate sector boundary issues).

make sense?

yeah, i was using the dat drive to input, then track with cdwave.  it must have been the earlier version that threw me.  plus i was relying on a datport soundcard which had the SR changeable.  anyways......

the explanation of the 24/48 makes sense.  i am going to redo the process and see if my result vary.  i rarely include the fade ins and out, as that is simply a matter of preference.  regardless of that, everything else made perfect sense.  thanks for your explanation (now others can find it too - like hamptonw!!!)

i'll have the show 'deep fried' ready to go by the beginning of next week at this rate.  learning curve is looking good right now, thank goodness i have a full year to fully grasp these ideas!

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 01:42:41 AM »

-save file
-open file in cd wav

make sense?

thanks for this. i just copied  that to my desktop. my usbpre just got here and i had no clue how to do that exactly in order. 24 bit here i come dammit! +t damon.

d
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 10:10:54 AM »
suggestion worked perfectly damon!  thanks again for the suggestions, because innis didn't know shittt!  ha  

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com