Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Laptop taping newbie - FAQs? Newbie Central?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline jctibbitts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Support Michigan Music: Bumpgroove.com
    • BUMP
Laptop taping newbie - FAQs? Newbie Central?
« on: October 18, 2004, 10:42:45 AM »
ok...

i've been doing:

SBD or Rode NT4's > UA-5(Wmod) > Njb3 for about a year now....but want to try laptop taping. 

what programs would i need for the laptop?

could i use my ua-5's usb2 to go into the laptop, or would i have to get a sound card?

anything else i'd need to know?

thanks

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
Re: Laptop taping newbie - FAQs? Newbie Central?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 01:31:21 PM »
the ua-5 is only usb 1, but it'll work thru a usb2.  you can probably do 24/48 but i wouldn't try 24/96 cuz i heard it has issues with the 24/96.  however, if you do 24/48 you'll have to resample and dither in post.

soundforge, wavelab, cool edit (adobe audition) are all great programs to record into, but if you don't want to buy something pricey you could always use cd wav to record and samplitude to resample.

if you do 24bit, make sure to install the advanced drivers onto the laptop and make sure the ua-5 and recording program are setup properly.  and also resample first, dither second.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
  • Support Michigan Music: Bumpgroove.com
    • BUMP
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 01:59:27 PM »
ed...what's up?  how's the fuzz doing?

thanks man...

what's dither?  i haven't done any post editing in some time.  i have soundforge 7.0...i can use that?

so you are saying i could use the ua5 usb1 output into my laptop and record with cdwav or soundforge?  and then sample it down to 44.1 after the fact?

where do i find the 24bit drivers for the laptop?

+1

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 02:58:16 PM »
the fuzz are good, but they're not as active as they should be.

the 24bit drivers should be on the disc that came with the ua-5.  someone here might be able to help you out if you've lost them, my disc is in my box like 2 hrs away from me.

i'd record into soundforge, thats what i used a couple of times and it worked great.  dither is when you go from 24bit down to 16bit.  do any normalization or whatever first, then resample down to 44.1, and then dither down to 16bit.

hope that helps +t backacta

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com