Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: We can rebuild you, we have the technology...  (Read 5838 times)

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
We can rebuild you, we have the technology...
« on: September 25, 2003, 04:16:16 PM »
Perhaps the theme from Mission Impossible would be more fitting. I was wondering if there is any kind of documentation online for the bare minimal requirements for laptop recording? I was reading that it's possible to record full shows to CF media through a PDA(!), and was curious to see if there was any way to ressurect this IBM laptop into a 24/48 machine? It's an IBM Thinkpad 780C (I think). I'm pretty sure it as a 133Mhz Intel processor in there, and a handful of RAM, it ain't much.

Obvious issues would include an alternative power supply, and some kind of PCMCIA interface (either USB or SPDIF), and then some kind of really watered down recording software, perhaps even that same software for PDA recording. Lastly, storage. There again, I can probably rig some kind of CF system through the PCMCIA slot, or see if there's any way to swap out the hard disc in there - it's only about 550MB.

Is there anything that can be done to make this junk work in a ghetto-fied taping situation? I'm a bit broke to be thinking about getting a new laptop for at least another year and a half. This is more of an amusement project, it's not critical, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them! Thanks!

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
Re:We can rebuild you, we have the technology...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 04:25:46 PM »
you most likely can replace the hard drive with a larger one, i'm not sure about recording on cf cards thru a computer though.

see what the maximum capacity for RAM upgrade is.

The processor is pretty slow, but might be able to do it if you run like win98 with a very barebones system.
It really depends if you're able to put enough ram into it.

with the money in upgrades it's going to cost you, i'd say not worth it.
My buddy just got a great deal on a computer on ebay - a dell lattitude p3 500mhz with 128mb ram. He will upgrade the ram, and upgrade the hard drive to 40g (from 12g).
The computer cost him $300 and figure after upgrades it will cost him 4, maybe 500 tops. He already has the n-charge power system so only needs a cable.

I understand your situation is very different, but there are deals to be had if you look. he'd been scouring ebay for months waiting for the right deal to come along

good luck! and let us know what happens
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

DaryanLenz

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 05:11:11 PM »
133 mhz MAY be a little slow, although two track recording is not all that processor dependant.  Also, you could always pick up a laptop or even ide drive and get a convertor and run it over a pcmcia card that has firewire inputs.  Might save some money in the long run.  Would you be running a full rig here?  You would have to consider how to get the signal to the computer, whether utilizing a usb out of a pre or something is why I asked.  Otherwise, an interface with coaxial ins to a usb connection or a vxpocket seem to be your choices!

Daryan

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 05:39:20 PM »
Right, my rig is currently MC012 > Digi.mod. UA-5 > PCM-M1. It's great, I'm just curious about the next inexpensive step into the scary world of 24 bits. I'd probably benefit from just getting a new laptop, but I was wondering if there was any way to utilize this spare junk I had lying around.

Of course, I could always just sell this stuff for parts, including the other old computer stuff in the basement, and put that towards a down payment and some kind of finanancing on a new laptop. Hmmm.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 05:40:53 PM by Scuba Jeremy »

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2003, 02:10:55 PM »
Apple Student Financing. :)

Interest-only payments for the first 12 months.. easy terms after that.

Everybody knows that Mac is the only REAL way to process audio in the field ;)

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2003, 01:08:42 AM »
Joe, you steered me to that dangerous site once before. One of these days I just might do it too. You're leading me to the Dark Side!

Hmmm, what do I have around here that I can eBay?

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2003, 07:08:49 PM »
i used to run a dell latitude CP-T Celery 600, 192 MB, 12 GB. with a VX-Pocket and a dual-boot.  i know that nowadays that thing is only worth about $275. i paid $375 for it, and $400 for my VXPocket a week after i got it. i might get back into computer recording, but i will get another laptop or a power cell first, because it has issues with the batteries, and after it shut off first night of oak mountain 10 minutes into the first song i stopped having faith in it as a primary recording device..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.161 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com