Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ?'s about probs with MD  (Read 2660 times)

Offline ledblimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
?'s about probs with MD
« on: April 23, 2005, 12:56:39 PM »
Hello all,

New here and fairly new to taping. Have done roughly 10 shows with varying results.

I have the Sony MZ - NHF800 unit, juice box and mics built by Minidisco. I'm using the 1gb HiMd discs. Also, using Energizer lithium batts.

The 1st 2 shows I did, no probs with equipment.
Since then I've had 2 shows where sound has cut out at different points for 2 - 3 sec's for no apparent reason. I thought maybe the batt's I was using ( Ray o Vac alkaliene, fresh ones each time tho ) were the prob but had it happen during after show chatter in another recording using the Lithium batt's so kinda wipes that theory away.

The last 2 shows I did I've gotten loud bumps in several spots. Thought on the first show that maybe the mics or unit got bumped and didn't notice ( couldn't remember it happening but... ).
The show I did last night, I made sure nothing got bumped but same sound in recording.

So, would anyone have any idea what's happening? Is this a quirk with the unit or something? I did read a previous thread where someone had mentioned defects/ probs with these discs. Is the prob with the discs? ( seems that may be the prob but would like to know for sure as I've stocked up on these things )

Thanks for any info,

Ron

Offline ledblimp

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: ?'s about probs with MD
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 09:49:55 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Played around a bit. Think I'm gonna go with an 80 min disc on the next one.

Ron

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 05:54:55 PM »
Is the unit getting bumped or moved while recording?  That sounds like the recorder may have a problem writing because it's getting jostled around.  Other than that, it could be a disc issue.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 06:07:05 PM »
I have a Sony MZ-NH1, haven't had any trouble.
Make absolutely sure that the recorder isn't bumped or jostled after you stop recording.  It is in this time (SYS WRITING is displayed I think) that the data is finalized.  Any bump can damage or completely lose your recording.

Don't know if thatb was necessarily your problem, just a possibility.

Good luck.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline ledblimp

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 03:14:19 PM »
Hi,

Thought that maybe the unit may have gotten bumped at some point but played with it and it needs to be bumped HARD to get a defect. I know nothing like that happened. I know the mics weren't bumped either at the last show I did.

Didn't think about it happening at the data save tho. I'm pretty gentle handling it tho so don't think so but will try playing around with that and see what I get.

I'm pretty sure it's the discs which is a bummer cause I like not worrying about the time. Ah well...

Thanks for the info,
Ron

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 05:17:24 PM »
Sometimes it doesn't need a hard bump--just continuous jostling--10 seconds worth of minor jostling could cause your problem.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline ledblimp

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 03:31:22 AM »
Sometimes it doesn't need a hard bump--just continuous jostling--10 seconds worth of minor jostling could cause your problem.

HMMM... that could have been a possibility. Will see what happens with next show ( tomorrow night ).

Thanks again for the info,

Ron

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com