Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3, gmini, rio shock resistance  (Read 1718 times)

Offline pfunk_49

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
JB3, gmini, rio shock resistance
« on: January 05, 2005, 12:03:39 PM »
I'm looking into buying a gmini or some other miature harddrive type player and am curious about shock resistance.  I ski some pretty nasty shit and am a little worried about this aspect.  I've heard that mini HD's in general can only withstand about 6 G's and I imagine a hard fall is much more than this. I know i could get/build a case to protect it.  any help before purchase would be awsome.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: JB3, gmini, rio shock resistance
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 02:09:33 PM »
I would look into a player that uses Flash memory.  With no moving parts, flash memory has a much better tolerance for shock.  there are many players out there that are very small, and have an SD slot for expandable storage.  you can easily find one with 128MB internal storage for under $100.  add a gig SD card (also under $100), and you should be good to go.  at least, that's what I would do (or I should say, that's what I did about a month ago)... in case you're wondering, I bought an RCA Lyra player from radio shack, and I've been very happy with the size (considerably smaller than a JB3 or ipod) and the battery life (almost ten hours from one AAA battery).

Offline pfunk_49

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 05:56:19 PM »
thanks for the advise.  I would also like to be able to record if possible.  There are some pretty decent bands that come through CO in the winter.  I guess I want the best of both worlds.  Is that possible?

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 06:08:34 PM »
jb3 is the only device that would work well for recording -- not the best solution for skiing

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.464 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com