Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT to Hosa Optical>Coax box clicks and pops in transfer  (Read 2026 times)

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
DAT to Hosa Optical>Coax box clicks and pops in transfer
« on: June 07, 2009, 01:20:01 PM »
Hi here is my setup Fostex D5 DAT to Hosa Optical/coax splitter box to coax in on computer. With this setup im getting clicks, pops when im transferring to CDWAV. or any program. I just trouble shot it with my DA-P1 coax to coax. No problem. sounds great no clicks, pops. I want to use my D5 for the transfers of all my Dats and not the P1 what would be causing this? obliviously its somewhere in the Optical/Coax box? The D5 has AES/EBU but i dont have a box for that. i know they do make one.. would this be the route to go? thanks

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DAT to Hosa Optical>Coax box clicks and pops in transfer
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 03:55:55 PM »
How are you powering the Hosa splitter?  And which model is it?

The three primary suspects:  splitter box, optical cable, and D5 optical output.  Easy one first:  try a known-good optical cable.  If that doesn't fix it, the problem lies either with the D5 optical output or the digital format converter (DFC) box.  You can test for the D5 optical output by receiving its output with a device that has a known-good optical input (ifi you have access to one).  You can test the DFC box by sending it a signal from a device that has a known-good optical output (if you have access to one).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »
Hi Brian. im powering it with the supplied power supply. its model number Hosa ODL-276. I know the optical cable is good because with my other computer i have optical in. I used to go directly from D5 to old computer with optical in soundcard.no problems. I will try to narrow it down i have a few options where i have a optical out other than the D5. i think its the DFC though because i had no problems until i introduced it into the mix.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 04:05:49 PM »
Hi Brian. im powering it with the supplied power supply. its model number Hosa ODL-276. I know the optical cable is good because with my other computer i have optical in. I used to go directly from D5 to old computer with optical in soundcard.no problems. I will try to narrow it down i have a few options where i have a optical out other than the D5. i think its the DFC though because i had no problems until i introduced it into the mix.

So you've tested D5 (or some other device with optical output) > same optical cable > optical-in on another computer?  As long as you've performed that test recently, and it was successful, that rules out the optical cable.  How long ago did you run D5 > old computer with optical-in soundcard?  It might be worth trying again, if you have the gear -- just in case something's changed.  If that test works alright, then I agree:  it sounds like the ODL-276 is the culprit.  Is the ODL-276 a new purchase?  Any chance for a return / exchange?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 12:19:36 PM »
its all figured out. i was given the Hosa converter from a friend. guess what, wrong power supply. he gave me the wrong one. on the bottom of the box it says use only such and such hosa power supply. all set now. thanks Brian

Todd

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 04:10:45 AM »
tryin to help but you gotta tone down your avatar if you want any attention to your matter
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com