Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control  (Read 69048 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:22:51 PM »
I'll start a new topic for this as it's so far been discussed in the DR-44 thread, which is a significantly different device.

Mine's just arrived.  Unboxing thoughts - fits snugly in the hand.  It's stable when lying flat but wobbly if upright.  Quite chunky because of the mic layout.  Level setting wheel at the base is just tight enough to resist accidental movement but still not too tight for ease of adjustment.  Buttons have a shallow travel but with an adequate click, but any control operation while recording with the internal mics will be noticed on playback.  Class 4 4GB card is pre-inserted under a rubbery cover.  Batteries and a USB lead are included.  Battery cover is slightly hard to remove, there's not enough of a grippy bit (quibble). Display is good resolution.  Menu structure and operation is very clear and easy (both to change things and check things).

More to come of course on actual use, hopefully in the next few hours.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 05:17:28 AM »
Just an interim report - I'm pushed for time right now -

The device is very susceptible to handling and wind noise.  I thought the day here was pretty still wind-wise until I saw and heard the considerable low frequency rumble which the device recorded unless it was in totally still air.  Use of a dead kitten outdoors is mandatory.  On the plus side of this, the wind rumble indicates that the mics go down to a good low frequency.

The jury is out on the quality of the built in mics.  There's plenty of low frequency extension.  There's no roll off at the HF end.  But I'm a bit suspicious that in the middle there's some colouration.  To pin that down I'll need to do a very careful test in comparison with other recorders I have and with a Sennheiser MKH MS pair (into another recorder) as a reference.  They seem to be as low noise as any other such recorder these days - I have no concerns in that respect at this time.  Stereo image is good as you would expect from the mic configuration.

(It seems to me that it should be fairly easy for manufacturers to get a good flat response from built in mics, as the response of the capsules is known and the recorder electronics should be designed to compensate for any lack of flatness.)

Every time you plug in the headphones, a box pops up warning you of the risk of hearing damage, and the volume is lowered to a certain level.  You can then ignore the warning of course, but it's a bit of a pain during testing when I'm using the same cans on various recorders.

The input level control is a bit fiddly in use, but there is a display not only showing 0 - 90 but also how many dB up or down you have dialled, relative to the starting position before you turned the knob.  As the knob is a rotary encoder, small adjustments can be made more easily than with a control which can only rotate through 350 degrees.  Apparently this is digitally controlled analog level control.

Otherwise, it's a delight to use, in terms of the menus and transport controls, which fall nicely to hand.  Compare and contrast with something like the M10 whose control layout is a bit idiosyncratic - I find myself peering at its buttons and having to think which one to press, especially when using menus, and to see its current settings you have to scroll all the way through all settings.  On the DR22 it's all there on one four-tabbed page (and the first tab has most of what you need during a recording).

The remote control Android app is indeed woefully short of features, but it does have metering, time info, and start/stop/pause/play/record/skip.  I put the recorder on a table at one end of the house and used the remote at the other end, and it worked fine (if only for the currently implemented features) over a line-of-sight distance which would equate to the distance from a mic stand in front of a band back to the first few rows of an audience.  Using the remote even close gets round the problems with handling noise.  It also enables simple things like recording yourself talking (and thus not having a clear sight of the controls and display) but being able to operate the device from a phone beside you.

So, the wifi thing opens up the prospect of using the recorder as a stereo mic which would normally need to be cabled back to a recorder, except no cable is required, while retaining full control (once the apps are actually finished).  This is great, but if the mics are indifferent, it's not such an attractive scenario.  You get what you pay for I guess - the DR44 would enable you to use your own higher grade mics at the top of the stand with the recorder strapped on lower down and remotely operated.

So, watch this space and I'll try to do some valid tests on the mic frequency response.  I'll also hope to do some ambience recording with a dead kitten fitted.  For further info see the two-part review on YouTube by Max Yuryev who has done a good job, though his mic tests are not the most scientific.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:05:31 AM »
Thank you for these posts.  The review you mentioned and yours appear to be the first ones on this unit. 

It would be great to control levels remotely and avoid runs of mic cables in any situation where people can get tripped up by cables.    Mount the whole deal to a stand up front near the musicians and control it from your seat in the audience.  That's fantastic if it works.

Apparently, remote control will work via android phone, but will it work with an android tablet, too?

I wonder how well the DR22wl will work with external mics and an external preamp in this kind of application?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 07:19:12 PM »
Works on a 7" Android tablet and on a TV-connected Android device too.  Sadly it won't install on my Android watch which would have been a neat trick.

Later I'll try the mic input with my Roland in-ears.  I have no doubt that line input from an external mic preamp would work fine as it's pretty hard to mess up a line input these days.  One scenario would be to use a device like the Zoom H2N just as an MS mic on the top of the stand, feeding the line input of the Tascam at the bottom, controlled by wifi.  All sorts of things are possible.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:03:35 PM »
I'm currently (sorry for pun) investigating battery life.  I tired a remote controlled recording when the battery indicator was almost down to one bar out of three and after about 49 minutes, a message came up on the DR22 screen saying it was shutting down wifi to conserve the battery.  It has since continued to record with remote for about a couple of hours.

Next I'll sacrifice a new set of batteries to see how long wifi controlled recording lasts with fresh batteries.  What would be nice is if the battery life allowed doing some test recordings during a soundcheck, then leaving everything on and ready for an hour till the concert starts, then recording two one hour halves of the concert with 20 minutes for the interval (on but not running).  That would simulate placing the recorder where you can't readily get at it to manually turn it on and off.  But I suspect wifi will not last that long.  In that case it would be a matter of using an external battery pack at the base of the stand with an extra-length USB lead to the recorder.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 07:04:58 PM »
Investigation of battery life got sidetracked by consideration of frequency response in comparison to other devices.   I did some tests vs M10 and H2N but then began to wonder how any of these devices fare against a good high quality flat response condenser mic (Sennheiser MKH cardioid for instance).  That started to throw up some interesting results but I decided to redo the tests to be quite sure of my conclusions.  So, once again, watch this space...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 02:47:29 AM »
Well, I've been looking a frequency response curves generated from white noise till my eyes are crossed and I'm not entirely sure what conclusion I should come to, but I suppose that I can summarise as follows -

If I line up the frequency responses of the Sennheiser MKH cardioid and the Tascam DR-22 so that they coincide at 1000Hz, then the Tascam is about 3dB down by the time we get to 2kHz and about 5kHz down at 3.5kHz.   It's then +2dB at about 5.2kHz, about the same as the Sennheiser between 5.8kHz and 7kHz, and then has a significant increase through to +9dB at 10kHz.   It then gradually comes back down to match the Sennheiser 18kHz and thereafter rolls off a little more steeply than the Sennheiser.  As far as the lower frequencies go, the Tascam rolls off a bit below about 125Hz but actually rises somewhat from around 25Hz.  Using the 40Hz filter is probably wise under most circumstances.

I'll try to attach a screen capture showing the Sennheiser in green, the Tascam in red, the H2N in purple and the M10 in yellow.  If my speakers and room were perfect the Sennheiser's green line would be flat.  But while you cannot draw any inferences from this test concerning the absolute frequency responses of these devices, you could draw some general conclusions from the relative differences between the devices and the Sennheiser mic.

Certainly the Tascam sounds a bit lacking in mid frequencies and rather tizzy in the presence of high frequencies, but not thin because of the bass extension.  Some eq after recording could help flatten things out a bit.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 10:23:12 PM »
With fresh alkaline batteries, I got 3 hours 12 minutes of wifi remote control time, recording all the time, before it disconnected the wifi to conserve battery (at which point the recorder carried on recording on its own).  That could cover a lot of situations, but perhaps to get the full picture I should see whether wifi lasts longer when the recorder is idle (like in an interval or before the show starts) during which time it's not needing to transmit data.  With the current Android app, the indication of elapsed time is transmitted every 10 seconds or so after an initial period of continuous displayed time - either a bug or a battery saving feature, can't tell which.  Meters continue to respond all the time, however.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 05:27:41 AM »
I've been trying the DR22 with an external battery pack for the last few hours and using that I've been able to verify that if the device is set to never sleep, then when the transport is idle, the wifi connection remains available for an extended period even if the remote control device disconnects altogether.  That's true when it's recording too.  So you can go and have drinks in the interval with your phone in your pocket switched off, and regain control when you go back into the auditorium.  Or you can start recording, turn off your phone, then at the end of the show turn back on, reconnect, re-run the app, and press stop.

Note that even on external power, if you set the device to sleep after (say) three minutes' non-use, and you stop it with the remote, it will go to sleep after 3 mins and the only way to get it back on is to use the controls on the device itself.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 08:39:14 PM »
If you were in the market for a 2 channel recorder, would you buy another M10 for $199 USD or the Tascam DR-22wl for $149 USD? What are your thoughts at this point?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 02:29:36 AM »
It depends on your requirements.  For use with external mics/inputs, and if a wired remote suffices (if required at all), then the M10 is good (personally I don't like its button layout, some elements of its menus, and its poor stereo image from the built in mics).  If wifi control is important, then that's the chief attraction of the DR-22WL which is otherwise not groundbreaking (but I prefer its button layout, its menus and the stereo image from its mics).  And of course at the moment the jury is out on the whole wifi thing until Tascam deliver on the promised features.  And until I get an opportunity to try the DR22 on live music and other such sound sources I can't confidently vouch for the mic quality apart from the image.

Early days.

tomuo

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »
The iOS application was just updated today on the iTunes store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dr-control/id916073484?mt=8

Playback streaming is now working.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 07:56:21 PM »
Cool.  But the Android version remains rudimentary.  Perhaps they are getting the iOS version right first and will then in essence port it across to Android having solved the problems first.

Firmware has been updated again too.  At least they are working on getting it all as advertised...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:59:36 PM by Ozpeter »

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 05:41:04 PM »
It appears the android version of the app has been removed from the app store. When I check on my phone, I am told the app does not exist in the Google Play Store, and when I check on my PC the same. When I go to the Tascam website the links for the iPhone works, but not any of the links to the Google Play Store. I can only guess the app is being worked on.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 09:06:27 PM »
It appears the android version of the app has been removed from the app store
odd - it still works here through all those routes. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tascam.android.DRCONTROL

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 09:51:07 PM »
I cannot get through on that link. And I have tried at work and home and on my phone. Strange?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 10:07:52 PM »
I don't see a download link on Tascam's website where you'd think it would be if it were ready.  http://tascam.com/product/dr_control/downloads/

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 05:34:12 PM »
The link is on this page -

http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/overview/

but for some reason you guys aren't getting it to work.  Maybe some region locking thing?

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 06:05:22 PM »
The link is on this page -

http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/overview/

but for some reason you guys aren't getting it to work.  Maybe some region locking thing?

Received this message today:
2014-11-13 13:52:36

Thank you for contacting TASCAM.
Our customer support representative, NFaison, has written the following response to your message:

There was a problem discovered with the Android version of the app so it was removed.
An updated version should be available within the next 30 days.

Thank you for your interest in TASCAM products.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 09:33:53 PM »
Thanks for that info (at least you got a reply, I didn't).  Here, the app is still accessible from the Tascam site and from the Play store, but perhaps that's because I'd already downloaded it.

Meanwhile I've tried a USB extension cable (3 metres?) for powering (imagining the scenario of power back at the bottom of a tallish mic stand) and the possible voltage drop doesn't seem to matter to the DR-22.

All I need now is a fully functioning Android app...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 12:46:10 AM »
Well, by accident I came across the new version of the "DR Control" app, released a couple of days ago.  Because they have put it up as if it were a new app, users of the original app will not see it as an update.  I can't help feeling for that and for other reasons, that Tascam have no understanding of the Android ecosystem.  Sigh...

Anyway, having got over the excitement of the good news, the bad news is that this new version, on which they have lavished at least 6 weeks of effort, adds none of the missing features and they still describe it as a beta.  I'd describe it as a proof-of-concept, not even an alpha.  They have managed to introduce at least two new bugs and all things considered, I think I'd rather stick with the previous version (which at least for me still shows up on the earlier links I posted).

Bugs include

- an error message only in Japanese if you start the app without first connecting the recorder to the phone by wifi.  This is confusing other users who seem (by their app reviews) to think that the app only displays that message and nothing else.  If they'd read the manual they wouldn't see the message, but how hard would it have been for the message to display in English as well (and for that matter, in several other languages)?

- on my 7" tablet, the meters etc are squashed into the upper half of the display, an aspect ratio problem which didn't happen with the previous version

- pressing the "back" button used to take one out of the app, which is quite safe to do as the recorder carries on regardless.  Now it simply displays a developer's test page graphic (like the normal page except it's static and non-functional) and the only way to exit the app is to kill it.

Really this is a pathetic effort by Tascam and it shakes my confidence in the brand.  How they have the nerve to continue to advertise both the app and the device as if the Android app was as functional as the iOS one (and I believe even that isn't feature-complete) I do not know.  Completely out of order under the terms of most nation's consumer protection legislation.

Meanwhile, Amazon continue to include this line in their description of the recorder -

"XLR inputs w/Phantom Power"

and refused to amend it when I reported the error.  Wow, who do you trust these days when buying on the net?

I'm attending a gig on the 18th Dec where using the DR-22 on wifi would be ideal, but most of the point will be lost unless they fix the app.  Hey Tascam, why not send me a free iPhone to run the iOS app on as your promises re Android are so far from true?

And here endeth the rant.  Watch this space for further news.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 10:39:32 AM »
Restraining myself, I won't link to the five or six glowing reviews of this unit at one retailer, none of whom address the Android control app issues.  There still doesn't seem to be much what I would deem "independent" feedback on this unit apart from your posts here on TS.

And it seems unlike Tascam to have brought the unit to market with these issues unresolved.  One might ask whether without working WIFI control, is it really worth $149 or is it another $99 recorder?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 05:31:59 PM »
Here's my Google Play Store review of the latest version of the remote control app -

"I'll try to be positive

Well, version 1.1.1 gets rid of the obvious bugs - the error message if you try to use the app without connecting to the device is now in English, and the action of the "back" button is now correct. The graphics of the meter still look squashed on my 7" tablet but I can live with that. The metering lag has been corrected so it is more like looking at the meter on the device itself, I am currently doing a soak test to see how the app holds up over a long period. All in all, it now seems that such functions as are provided are working well, and with only a week between releases, development is active. So now we chiefly need the missing features. Three stars (five for what we have, 1 for what we don't have!) "

I'm starting to feel a bit more hopeful about this.  If we can have level control before the gig I want to use it for on 18th Dec, then I'll be quite happy.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 06:14:03 PM »
Since you have other recorders available, what is it about the 22wl that you would find useful to use on Dec 11th instead of your other recorders?

The 22wl doesn't seem to have attracted the level of interest here that one might have thought.  Here we have a wifi controlled recorder for $149 that could be placed right down front at the stage and most of the attention based on the number of posts seems to be headed towards the 70d released at roughly the same time.   

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 12:01:41 AM »
I don't think that there is enough evidence of its actual recording quality, yet, for people to get too excited - not to mention the problems with the remote app (in Android at least).  The camera-like easy settings wheel gives it the air of a down-market device too, although if you set the wheel to "M" it's then as if it wasn't there.  And actually the other settings are quite handy for quickly setting the device up for certain situations.

The gig I have in mind will be in a crowded jazz club and the only way to record may be to use a mini stand on one of the tables set out in front of the band - and I may not be able to secure a seat at the best table!  So if the occupants* of that table don't mind I'll put the device there and operate it from elsewhere.  But I will almost certainly need to be able to set levels remotely in that situation, as well as operate the transport.  Cables (or even a floor stand) will be out of the question.

*Hopefully those close to the device won't make rude comments about the band...

The new 70D is clearly intended for the more sophisticated user, such as we find here!  Now if they brought out a version of that with wifi control it would be pretty cool.  I think that in about 12 months wifi control will be a pretty standard feature on new devices.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 06:33:32 PM »
Just mentioning that when I ran a soak test with the latest Android app, the display of time and level was updated perfectly for at least 3 hours - the original version seemed to lose second-by-second contact with the recorder after a while and only update the phone display every few seconds.

I forgot to put fresh batteries in the device itself so when the external power ran out, the device shut down abruptly and the current file was lost.  You really need to keep fresh batteries in the device to avoid this.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2014, 03:21:05 AM »
At last - a live music sample. 

I recorded this very off-the-cuff at someone's house last night where the piano tuner was noodling on a brand new five foot grand prior to tuning it (with a group of people talking in the next room, to the left, and the tuner talking to someone in between playing, likewise on the left).  Recorded close, pointing under the lid from the curve of the frame, hand held.  Listen for the musical joke...

Two versions - one flat, the other with a slight lift in the 2500kHz area (for 1.5 octaves) of 3dB, which my previous tests indicated might be required.  I think that version is closest to what I heard at the time, but the differences are subtle.  Generally I'm quite pleased with how the device sounds.  It seems pretty low noise, as well as having a non-edgy frequency response with good coverage of the lower frequencies (no LF cut was used).  None of the piano notes seem to stick out (which would indicate a seriously unflat frequency response).

Any views on the sound? (Don't shoot the pianist, he was an innocent victim!)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByTVNpxnwA3DZUkwTHZaMGJtLW8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByTVNpxnwA3DRTM1MXE4VkFtNGc/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:28:31 AM by Ozpeter »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2014, 05:25:30 PM »
There has been another update to the Android app, and now we have the essential input menu.  That provides...

Low cut at 40, 80, 120, and 220Hz
Level control off, limiter, and "peak" (= auto level control)
Input level slider, from 0 to 90

The level slider should ideally have nudge buttons at each end for fine control, but as it is it's not too bad, and it allows instant correction of input level from one end of the scale to the other.

There's a bug affecting the "peak" setting - it only works if you engage "peak" on the app when in the totally stopped state, not when in record pause or record (on the device itself, it can only be set during record pause).  Currently the actual state of "peak" and "limiter" is not shown on the app above the display - hopefully this will be provided in due course.

The menu features still missing relate to basic device setup which you wouldn't normally vary during a recording - eg recording format - and the new menu provides the settings that you would more likely need on the fly during recording.  As it is, the device is ready for the jazz club gig I mentioned earlier.

I guess the next most important features which would be good to see would be "mark" and file split (both of which are needed when recording).  Hopefully the feature set should extend fairly quickly now as the principles of operation of the app have now been established.  I would guess that remote streamed playback may take a little while longer to provide as that's rather more complex compared with simply providing buttons on the interface to send commands.

Apart from the usefulness of being able to control the device at a distance, comprehensive remote control even when standing right next to the device means complete avoidance of handling noise.

All in all, this is becoming more and more promising.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 06:06:53 PM by Ozpeter »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »
Android app version 1.1.3 now has menu control of record and record-auto functions. So you can turn on the device, press the wifi button, clamp it to the top of a tall mic stand, and retire to a safe distance to complete all aspects of the recording setup remotely (eg recording format, any auto-mark or auto-record functions, etc etc, plus the auto level control functions and low cut filter functions provided in the previous version).  Chief function that is missing that you'd probably find important when actually recording is the manual "mark" function.  And of course remote playback to check that the recording is ok is still not there, but in reality for most situations, that's a comfort-factor thing rather than a key requirement, in my view.

But - there are some bugs and "design limitations".  The app is likely to crash if you access menus when in any setting other than "M" (manual settings) of the preset control knob. Most serious users will not be using that knob anyway, and if the app crashes the recorder keeps going, but down the track this will need fixing.

More seriously - settings for "Low Cut" and "Lvl Ctrl" ONLY take effect if the device is fully stopped, regardless of what the display says. The settings do not work if recording, or if in record-pause state, even though the display changes. In essence you must do all your setting up before putting the device into record-pause or record mode. If you want to (say) turn on the limiter, or apply a low cut filter, you must press "stop" first, then make your changes. You can't do it on the fly.  That's ok, but the app appears to allow you to do that, changing displays on the device and on the app, but actually no change is happening.   When recording the controls that do not work should not be shown, or, if operated, indications should not appear that are incorrect.   Still, if you know how to avoid problems, the app works well and it does at last enable a recorder's built in mics to be fully used when the recorder is not being hand held.  That's quite a revolution in audio recording in my view.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 11:33:04 PM »
Are you going to record with the internal mics or try some external mics on 12/18?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2014, 01:58:11 AM »
Internals - I do see this device as "a mic that records" so that's how I'd prefer to use it.  Ideally it would be wire-free but I'll have to use an external battery pack, though that can be at the bottom of the mic stand (if I end up using a proper one rather than a table stand).  If I did use an external mic with it, there's then a slight problem with placement of the recorder itself - I'd prefer not to attach it vertically to a stand below the mic as it would be a bit conspicuous (horizontally it's not too bad, apart from the wifi lamp at its bottom - which could be covered with blutak - but it would then really need to be at the top).  It could be placed at the foot of a stand but then the wifi range might suffer. 

My attendance at the event is a bit on/off but hopefully I'll make it.

I forget whether I already said it here, but I can see the day coming soon when a device like this will be marketed with no knobs or display on the recorder itself, and its shape being cylindrical like a normal mic, with all functions being app-operated.  Lower cost, and easier to mount remotely.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:01:37 AM by Ozpeter »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2014, 09:43:04 PM »
It might possibly be too large to conceal in a salt shaker on the table. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 10:49:25 PM »
Gig report -

Well, my DR-22WL has had its first serious outing and acquitted itself well. 

The venue was a small jazz club - say 150 people size - and as someone else was doing a "proper" recording, I kept my profile low and simply placed the recorder on someone's drinks table near the front of the stage, using a mini photo tripod, and sat the usb power supply beside it.  The recorder is so light that I should have taken alongside some blutak to ensure the tripod stayed in place, though in fact it didn't move.  I simply turned on the recorder, pressed the wifi button, and then positioned myself further back in the room, at a suitable point to get a good view on my video camera (it was a busy night!).

During the first item it was easy to adjust the level from my phone - somewhat too high to begin with - I ended up with it at about 30 (where 90 = max).  Then I left it alone but periodically checked that the phone was still receiving time and level info (no problem) and that the set level was still correct.  I stopped the transport from the phone at the start of the interval, and restarted it for the second half, all without having to disturb the people at the table by fiddling with the recorder (which would have put handling noises on the recording too). 

All in all, I came away with the feeling that this is a pretty ideal way of doing this kind of recording.  I've seen the future and it's wifi.

I've posted a sample track on Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/ozpeter/part-2-item-1 which hopefully will work - I'm not very familiar with Soundcloud.

Now this isn't straight from the recorder.  Personally, everything I do is going to go through at least minimal post-production, and what counts is the end result, not what I started with, which while being no disaster wasn't perfect.  As before, there's no doubt that the sound straight from the recorder has a "veiled" quality, lacking in high frequency sparkle.  But there's no problem at the bottom end.  So for Soundcloud, I added a little eq at the top end (+3dB at 5300Hz, 3 octave bandwidth), and as the trombone was a bit "in your face" I reduced the "mid" component of the stereo image by about 4dB, which has the effect of widening the image somewhat and reducing the centre level.  Noise levels (self noise) were just fine - I can't hear anything wrong in that department.

The end result is something which to my ear sounds very close to what I heard with my own ears on the night.  I'm pretty pleased.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 12:47:15 AM »
Now this isn't straight from the recorder.  Personally, everything I do is going to go through at least minimal post-production...

Since your reviewing a piece of gear - I suspect most of us would prefer to hear the unvarnished truth of an unedited sample. >:D

As-for WiFi - I like where TASCAM is going. Beyond remote control -  Id love to see a day where every compact recorder offered an "expanded view" available via wifi.

So - lets say I turn a knob in my new DR70D - it would be cool to have a screen on a phone or tab that showed more detailed level info/levels. (vs the tiny screens on these things)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 11:48:02 AM »
My first impression of the sample is that it is clear, but thin.  Not sure if due to distance of mics to source, the source, the mics or EQ. 

I'm not sure if the 22wl should be on my list.  If it recorded well with at853s, I could see its usefulness.  It might be very useful for recording wedding vows as it is, but I'm undecided about music recording until further review.

Lest we get too carried away with WiFi features, compare these features with the WiFi in the Behringer xr12 for $300 or WiFi in today's camcorders for comparison.

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 12:20:54 PM »
Tascam has released a new firmware update Version 1.13 as of Dec 18.
http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/downloads/

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 01:58:37 AM »
My first impression of the sample is that it is clear, but thin.  Not sure if due to distance of mics to source, the source, the mics or EQ. 
Probably the first of those options - the acoustic bass player was playing unplugged (as were they all) and doesn't put himself forward as a player.  If the trombone player was eight feet from the mic (bit of a guess) then the bass would have been about another 6 feet back from the trombonist.  Listening to a bass solo from later in the gig, the bottom end sounds completely authentic.  My earlier tests indicate a rising bass response which could actually be a slight problem in some scenarios - the slightest air movement causes a lot of very low frequency rumble.  Perhaps this is why there's a choice of several low cuts in the recorder menu.  They recommend 40Hz cut for music recording (which I ignored). 

Might post a short sample from the bass solo later.  I'm just surfacing from syncing the audio to the video - the DR-22 turns out to be rock solid against my Panasonic G6 once you get the two lined up (at least for the 20 minute clips I'm working with).  Certainly the DR-22 sound is streets ahead of the G6 FWIW.

Thanks to Dallman for the heads-up re latest firmware.  The weekly update for the Android app doesn't seem to have happened this time.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 09:33:55 AM »
Thank you for this additional information.  I started to ask about clock drift, but forgot.  My experience with the dr2d was it was tight to about 20 minutes, noticeably drifting about 45, and really apart by 75 minutes. 

If they get the monitoring working, wonder if it could be fed into the G6 or if there will be a lag?

Looks to me like you've already gotten your money's worth playing with the 22wl.

Offline DancyGeorgia

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2014, 01:12:58 AM »
Has anyone tried the Tascam DR-22WL with external mics suitable for stealth recording?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2014, 08:19:34 AM »
Has anyone tried the Tascam DR-22WL with external mics suitable for stealth recording?

I have some Edirol in-ears which I could try with it, though the recorder is a  bit chunky for stealth (compared to the M10 for instance).  But, it has the advantage that you can leave the recorder in your pocket while operating it with your phone, as if sending a text message or something.

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 12:05:36 PM »
I have and it worked great. I think the recorder did a fanstastic job. Feel free to take a listen. https://archive.org/details/Hoodphellas2014-12-19.TuttlesMN_SP-EBM-1omnis

It was a show that was all electric Phish, and the band was one of the new line-ups for Jason Fladager who many know from the Big Wu and God Johnson.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 01:59:12 PM »
That's what I was waiting to hear!  Nothing thin about that recording.   I'm shocked how good it sounds for a pair of $70 in ear mics. 

Where were you in the room relative to the band?

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »
Every time I hear a recording this good from relatively inexpensive gear it makes me think really hard about how much I have invested in this hobby and what the return is on my purchases.  This recording is amazing. 
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 03:32:29 PM »
That's what I was waiting to hear!  Nothing thin about that recording.   I'm shocked how good it sounds for a pair of $70 in ear mics. 

I recently bought those mics on sale at Sound Professionals for $20.00. Quite a steal I think. I was about 10 or 15 feet back from the monitors in a noisy bar, near the sound board, mics up high, about 10 or 12 feet..

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 06:14:40 PM »
If the mics were 12 feet up in your ears, then you must be a mighty tall chap (or maybe dancing on the bar?)! :)

These days I would expect any recorder's external input to have a flat response and low noise, so the quality of this recording is determined by the mics rather than the recorder (but of course it does show the external input is not defective!).  And what the mics hear is substantially determined by the quality of the band amplification.  Unless the in-ears were used with a dummy head on that 12 foot stand, then the result will not be in accordance with the mics specs.  I guess now it will be after Christmas before I can get out with my in-ears and record something acoustic to get a more "level playing field" result.

Today's Android release adds the "browse" button to remotely select which file you want to play back, but given that you need to have headphones connected to the recorder to hear the result, it's not particularly useful at the moment.  Once streaming to the phone is implemented the browse feature will be much more worthwhile.  However, all that is moot, as pressing the "browse" button simply crashes the app (on the two phones I tried it with).  And yes, I did update the recorder firmware as well.

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2014, 09:40:13 PM »
If the mics were 12 feet up in your ears, then you must be a mighty tall chap (or maybe dancing on the bar?)! :)

These days I would expect any recorder's external input to have a flat response and low noise, so the quality of this recording is determined by the mics rather than the recorder (but of course it does show the external input is not defective!).  And what the mics hear is substantially determined by the quality of the band amplification.  Unless the in-ears were used with a dummy head on that 12 foot stand, then the result will not be in accordance with the mics specs.

I didn’t buy the mics planning to use them as they may have been designed. If you want to, you can compare the recording to my 2 other recordings of the same show. I think they are mics that make a nice recording and it was a simple inexpensive setup that worked well. I had the mics more or less in an x/y pattern sitting atop the shockmounts that housed my gefells. The other recordings are on archive too. Just press the other copies of this show link. I posted the link because someone wanted to hear external mics and I think it showed the deck can make a nice recording.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2014, 10:23:52 PM »
Indeed, comparing the original link to the Gefells, those cheap mics acquitted themselves very well - even if not ear-worn (which might have improved the stereo image which is slightly narrow compared to the Gefells, but the actual sound doesn't seem to have suffered much).  Left and right are swapped between the two recordings but given the number of recordings you were running at the same time, that's hardly surprising!

I hope this humble recorder attracts more interest in due course, but then again, it's in a crowded market and doubtless the wifi feature carries a price premium.

Offline DancyGeorgia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2014, 01:31:04 AM »

I recently bought those mics on sale at Sound Professionals for $20.00. Quite a steal I think. I was about 10 or 15 feet back from the monitors in a noisy bar, near the sound board, mics up high, about 10 or 12 feet..

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2014, 12:11:46 PM »
Indeed, comparing the original link to the Gefells, those cheap mics acquitted themselves very well - even if not ear-worn (which might have improved the stereo image which is slightly narrow compared to the Gefells, but the actual sound doesn't seem to have suffered much).  Left and right are swapped between the two recordings but given the number of recordings you were running at the same time, that's hardly surprising!

I hope this humble recorder attracts more interest in due course, but then again, it's in a crowded market and doubtless the wifi feature carries a price premium.
I agree. And I agree that Tascam and other well known brands have really have shown that you can get great sound on a budget. I bought my DR-22WL in the yardsale for $110. But even new and at current market prices there are a number of low priced decks that perform quite nicely. 

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2014, 12:33:22 PM »
The shockers are putting binaural mics 12' up, followed by paying $20 for them, and getting a essentially unused 22wl for $110.   ;D

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »
Yes, but he had to be good all year.  Merry Christmas, one and all!

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2014, 11:37:39 PM »
I have only just sobered up enough to check out the Christmas Day update to the Android app for the DR-22WL.  This update seems mostly to be a fix for the non-functioning "browse" function of the previous release.  It now works, and significantly, it adds a "copy" button to the selected file.  This copies the file to your phone (of course it's more practical if the file is in mp3 format), and then you can play the file on the phone.  Currently this seems to require you to use a separate player app - I used Google Play Music, which immediately identified the transferred file as new, and allowed me to play it.

So, you can now remotely check that you have something useful recorded.  Personally I would use this during soundchecking, recording in mp3, check that all was well, then (remotely through the app) switch to BWF for the real recording.

All pretty damn neat.

I'll check this version out in greater detail later and report anything else worth mentioning if merited.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2015, 05:21:08 AM »
I've just got around to giving the latest Android app version [1.1.6] a try, and it offers some nice new features.

The biggest new feature is that when you have downloaded an mp3 file across the wifi link (let's assume for instance that the recorder is on the top of a tall mic stand and you are at the back of the hall. and you want to check how the rehearsal is sounding), now there is a "play" button on the app interface to replay (in your phone) the file you have selected in the app's browser.  There's also a progress bar you can use to skip to different parts of the recording.  Simple but effective.  The app will now run (with most features not accessible) without the recorder being switched on and linked, in order to enable this playback of already-transferred files.  There's also a "soundcloud" button to upload to the internet direct from the phone - which I haven't tried yet.  If your wireless data allowance would permit it, that would mean you could upload to the net right from the hall.

The other two minor features allow you to choose a menu option which at a touch copies the current exact date and time from your phone to the device clock;  and you can download firmware to your phone, and install that to the device from the phone.  So you could do a firmware update on location if you really wanted to, and if at home, I think updating via the phone on wifi might actually be more convenient than via a PC.

Chief missing feature (for me) remains the "mark" button, though you can remotely set auto mark functions with the current app version.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 09:57:17 AM »
There is a $25 rebate on the 22 and the 44 for US buyers.  Some are also bundling the 22 with a 4 gig card, Sony sound forge and an inexpensive headphone set. 

I am still not certain whether to get the 22 to run 4061 via a pipsqueek or to go for the 44.  I could care less about the built in mics. 

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2015, 11:32:27 AM »
There is a $25 rebate on the 22 and the 44 for US buyers.  Some are also bundling the 22 with a 4 gig card, Sony sound forge and an inexpensive headphone set. 

I am still not certain whether to get the 22 to run 4061 via a pipsqueek or to go for the 44.  I could care less about the built in mics.
Here is a link to a recent show with the lineage: Church CA11's (Cardioid)>Naiant PipSqueak>Tascam DR22WL (24bit 48kHz)
https://archive.org/details/HaHG2015-01-15.FirstAveMN_CA11s

stevetoney

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2015, 01:54:26 PM »

Here is a link to a recent show with the lineage: Church CA11's (Cardioid)>Naiant PipSqueak>Tascam DR22WL (24bit 48kHz)

Cliff...do you use your Tascam with an iphone or an android and do you use the wireless functionality?  If so, are you happy with it?

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »
I just joined Team DR22wl.  I am intrigued with the idea of wifi control and the price point is low enough for me to consider being an early adopter.  B&H is also offering free overnight shipping so I will have it tomorrow.  I'll be using mine with my iPhone in the field.

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2015, 05:06:09 PM »

Cliff...do you use your Tascam with an iphone or an android and do you use the wireless functionality?  If so, are you happy with it?
Steve,

I use android. I am not yet happy with the app, but it is getting there. I am happy having the deck and like the WiFi implications. So far the two times I used the deck, after about three hours, the WiFi signal was lost and my phone would say no WiFi available. But the deck continued to record. The last recording I made (I've used the deck twice now), was the day before the app was again upgraded, so I hope the issue is solved. I have sent a report to Tascam when the app has failed.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2015, 05:35:04 PM »
How far back were the mics from the stage? 

Seems to me the best use would be where you could put mics right up at the stage.  Back in the room, the 22 wouldn't seem to have any advantage over a nonwifi recorder.

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2015, 06:02:20 PM »
How far back were the mics from the stage? 

Seems to me the best use would be where you could put mics right up at the stage.  Back in the room, the 22 wouldn't seem to have any advantage over a nonwifi recorder.
The potential for placement is limitless, depending on the boundless ingenuity and resourcefulness of the taper  8) ;D. That said I was merely experimenting so my deck was up with other gear about 15 feet in the air. No other purpose than to test and see what occurred. First Ave is a tough room, I was behind the Soundboard about 30 feet back (maybe more). I will say the room sounded quite good that night, and as always (unfortunately) the chatter level was on super high which is why going high is so important.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2015, 06:10:40 PM »
So far the two times I used the deck, after about three hours, the WiFi signal was lost and my phone would say no WiFi available.

How was the recorder powered?  Was the blue wifi light still on?  Is the firmware the latest?  (The recorder will turn off wifi in order to conserve battery when power is running low - or medium - really you need an external power pack - you are probably well aware of that.  I note Tascam sell one which mounts to the recorder, though personally I prefer to use a power pack at the foot of the mic stand on a decent length USB lead).

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2015, 07:35:50 PM »
Although Tascam specs state approx. 17.5 hrs recording time http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/specifications/  Dallman's post and Ozpeter's post 7 in this thread are both pointing to about 3 hours of wifi recording time.  Not too great, IMO.  Can you use a 5v external cellphone battery even though the 22wl only uses two AA's?  The Tascam power supply evidently supplies 5v power at 1.5 amp so I would think so.

Adorama has some bundled deals on the 22wl with Behr DT880s or 770s, too. 

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:24:40 PM by 2manyrocks »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2015, 09:56:40 PM »
Funny, I thought the internal battery time on wifi was much less than 3 hours and had to recheck my own post!  Anyway, here I've mainly been externally powering mine from a little box which holds 4 x AA rechargeables and which has a USB socket putting out presumably 5 or 6 volts.  As I recall it, when I powered the recorder from a rechargeable power supply offering multiple output voltages, 5 volts didn't work well but 6 was fine.  Personally I have no big problem with having the recorder on a stand and the battery on a longish USB lead at the base of the stand - that wire is no issue compared with a mic wire going back to a distant recorder.  With such an external supply and with fresh batteries in the recorder itself (just in case) you'd be able to forget any worries about losing power.  The phone display tells you whether it's on external or internal power for your reassurance, and shows how much internal is left on a simple 3 (?) bar display.  But when you're down to one bar, wifi might shut down at any time.

Afterthought - perhaps there should be a menu option to allow you to set the device to start recording automatically if wifi is turned off by the device, thus covering the situation that you were stopped or paused when the link was lost, and you can't restart the recorder to capture the rest of the show.  After 3+ hours, you should have your levels correct so really you don't need the link so much.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:07:03 PM by Ozpeter »

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »
So far the two times I used the deck, after about three hours, the WiFi signal was lost and my phone would say no WiFi available.

How was the recorder powered?  Was the blue wifi light still on?  Is the firmware the latest?  (The recorder will turn off wifi in order to conserve battery when power is running low - or medium - really you need an external power pack - you are probably well aware of that.  I note Tascam sell one which mounts to the recorder, though personally I prefer to use a power pack at the foot of the mic stand on a decent length USB lead).
I had an external power pack both times, and was not running low on power and I still had full internal battery power. The WiFi was gone, if I clicked on the WiFi setting on my phone, the message received was that no network existed. The app too would not connect as it would open and be frozen, but if I pressed input on the screen on the app,I would lose the app, it would shut down and I'd get a message sayin so and asking if I wanted to send an error report to Tascam. Eventually it just would not open, so I'd get a screen that would say: Inorder to use this application, a TEAC product that supports it must be connected"  I could see the network listed on my phone, but it was low down on the list with other totally unavailable networks. The firmware was the latest for the deck. I could see the blue light blinking but I believe initially I had a solid blue light.

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »
Although Tascam specs state approx. 17.5 hrs recording time http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/specifications/  Dallman's post and Ozpeter's post 7 in this thread are both pointing to about 3 hours of wifi recording time.  Not too great, IMO.  Can you use a 5v external cellphone battery even though the 22wl only uses two AA's?  The Tascam power supply evidently supplies 5v power at 1.5 amp so I would think so.

Adorama has some bundled deals on the 22wl with Behr DT880s or 770s, too. 

My recording time was not affected and the deck was not out of power. I lost the ability of the WiFi network to function which I think has nothing to do with power and is a firmware issue for android. Ozpeter's issue had no relation to my issue. I never run any deck without external power, It's just the way I like to record, I always use an external source.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2015, 05:18:57 PM »
Well, that does look like some kind of stability issue.  They seem to be fairly active with firmware updates, so hopefully that will get addressed.

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2015, 05:21:45 PM »
Mine arrived today.  What is the current version of the firmware?  Looks Like the iOS app hasn't been updated since mid-December.

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2015, 06:09:08 PM »
Mine arrived today.  What is the current version of the firmware?  Looks Like the iOS app hasn't been updated since mid-December.
For the deck, Firmware Version 1.13
For the WiFi, Firmware version 1.01(this is found in the deck too)

For the DR app, that is not labeled as far as I know, but the IOS seems to be ahead of the Android version. Android was updated last Friday, and as you know we were out recording and I used the deck Thursday.

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2015, 10:06:04 PM »
This is a nice little piece of gear.  Updated the firmware, downloaded the app and it all just worked.  I think I am going to have a lot of fun with this little recorder!

Any idea what might be close to unity gain for this recorder when going line in??

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2015, 11:54:27 PM »
The "line input" is actually and "ext input" which expects (according to the manual) a signal from the headphone output of another device.  A real line level signal would probably overload the input stage regardless of level setting - not that I've tried myself, but just going from others' reports.  In other words - you are the guinea pig and we await your results!

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2015, 06:07:52 PM »
Someone on Amazon has stated that he'd heard that the remote control range of this recorder is less than 5 metres.  I've just tested mine indoors with several competing wifi access points nearby, and got to 17 metres more or less line-of-sight when I ran out of house length.  I'd say the wifi range would be adequate for most situations in which you'd want to use this particular recorder.  Of course if your phone's wifi sensitivity is not good, you'd lose range because of that.

tomuo

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2015, 08:14:01 PM »
Someone on Amazon has stated that he'd heard that the remote control range of this recorder is less than 5 metres.  I've just tested mine indoors with several competing wifi access points nearby, and got to 17 metres more or less line-of-sight when I ran out of house length.  I'd say the wifi range would be adequate for most situations in which you'd want to use this particular recorder.  Of course if your phone's wifi sensitivity is not good, you'd lose range because of that.

We got 50-60 feet in the TASCAM Los Angeles office here, plenty of other WiFi networks in the air.      Firmware updates for additional stability and ease of reconnection following a drop-out are coming.

Tom (TASCAM)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2015, 08:39:33 PM »
The "line input" is actually and "ext input" which expects (according to the manual) a signal from the headphone output of another device.  A real line level signal would probably overload the input stage regardless of level setting - not that I've tried myself, but just going from others' reports.  In other words - you are the guinea pig and we await your results!

For me to buy a 22wl I have to know I can run dpa 4061 via battery box Into the line in.  No problem on the 60d 3&4 channel input.  Will they work right going into 22wl?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2015, 05:03:50 AM »
For me to buy a 22wl I have to know I can run dpa 4061 via battery box Into the line in.  No problem on the 60d 3&4 channel input.  Will they work right going into 22wl?
Hopefully the specs in the respective manuals would answer that. 

For the DR-22WL it reads as follows -

Input impedance 25K
Reference input level -20dbV
Max input level -4dbV

Hey Tom of Tascam, glad you dropped by, is the "Mark" button on Android coming?  I hope so...

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »
The 60d specs on channels 3-4 jack.
Input impedance 10k
maximum input level +10dBv
minimum input level -50dVV

I don't get what the difference is between reference input level on the 22 vs. the specs on the 60d nor do I really grasp what these numbers actually mean??

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2015, 06:37:34 PM »
I don't get what the difference is between reference input level on the 22 vs. the specs on the 60d nor do I really grasp what these numbers actually mean??

The 22WL can take a signal at a maximum level of ~ -2 dBu (actually -1.78 dBu, but close enough) and the 60D can take a signal 14 dB hotter. The DPA 4061, with a sensitivity of 6 mV/Pa (-42 dBu with respect to 94 dBSPL), will overload the 22WL at 134 dBSPL and the 60D at 148 dBSPL (although the mic is only spec'ed to 144 dBSPL). Pretty hard to overload the 22 with those mics and the mics will clip before the recorder with the 60D. Assuming I did the math right...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2015, 08:32:09 PM »
That's as impressive a post as I've read here (assuming your maths is correct...)  :)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2015, 10:34:43 PM »
Thank you.

tomuo

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2015, 08:13:53 PM »

Hey Tom of Tascam, glad you dropped by, is the "Mark" button on Android coming?  I hope so...

Next up is streaming audio on the android app (in testing now), but I put in a request to put the Mark button in as well.

Tom.

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2015, 10:13:04 PM »
Couple of quick questions:

- Is there a setting to turn off plug-in power or do I have to remember answer the pop-up question every time I plug an external preamp into the unit?
- It there a setting for the external input to make it a line in vs a mic in?  The input appears to always be mic in and even with no gain added from the dr22wl itself (level set to zero) is a good 10+ db hotter than my dr2d or dr07

Thanks in advance for your input.  Hope to get this out in the field soon.  (Cliff, Hoodphellas at Tuttles Saturday night?  I've got the dr220wl and repaired Busman K11 card caps to test (( kudos to Chris Johnson/Busman Audio for amazing quick and under warranty repair for my caps that are coming up on three years old!! )) )

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2015, 02:49:40 AM »
Rodeen, the characteristics of the external input were discussed a couple of posts above.  It isn't a normal line in input - for sources other than mics, it expects attenuation of the incoming signal at the source.  The manual suggests using it with the headphone output of another device, with that output turned down as necessary.  I doubt whether a firmware update could change this, as I'm sure they would have made it a mic/line switchable input if the chipset allowed it.

Tom. thanks for your response re the mark button. It's good to have someone able to answer this kind of query after the initial frustrations with the device earlier in the thread (now becoming resolved, I'm happy to say).  One other thing you might be able to comment on - it seems to me that with any of these recorders with built in mics, it should be technically possible to achieve a pretty flatish frequency response by the use of fixed onboard eq to correct the known characteristics of the mics.  In the case of the DR-22WL, the sound (to me and others) is somewhat dull in the upper mid frequencies, and although it's not hard to brighten it in post production, it would have been better if the correction could have been applied within the device in the first place.  I'm not talking about user-configurable eq but a fixed correction for the mic sound right out of the box.  Maybe that's something that the designers could think about (if they haven't already) for future devices, assuming that it's not something that could now be achieved with a firmware update.  Cheers!

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2015, 03:33:50 PM »
  (Cliff, Hoodphellas at Tuttles Saturday night?  I've got the dr220wl and repaired Busman K11 card caps to test (( kudos to Chris Johnson/Busman Audio for amazing quick and under warranty repair for my caps that are coming up on three years old!! )) )
Heck yeah, I'm in. We should figure out where to stash the Tascam's, since Jason surely will not mind.BTW, although I have not had any distortion issues, I decided last time to attach a -10db attenuator to my setup which included the Tascam DR22WL Pipsqueak and Church CA 11's and that gave me plenty of headroom. That may not please everybody, but I think having a -10db attenuator in my arsenal for 1/8 style decks has been an easy fix although for the life of me I do not know why so many decks run hot.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2015, 08:15:16 AM »
Today's Android app update provides the promised "streaming" function (via a mode toggle in the menu in the app).  This then streams playback of already recorded files from the recorder to the phone.  The files can be CD quality wave, or mp3.  You can jump around in the files using the location bar. 

Use case - you have the recorder installed on a tall stand, or otherwise not accessible, and you want to play back some bits of what you've recorded (say in the interval, or during a rehearsal or sound check).  You could already transfer the whole file from the recorder to your phone and then play it, which could take some time, but now you can stream it without copying the whole thing, jumping around to sections of interest.

Downside - the meters don't work during streaming so you can't check what the levels were like.  But presumably you would have already done that during the recording.  And if you want to check the levels of playback without actually listening, you can do that already if you turn off streaming (so the recorder plays back locally, but silently unless you had a connection to its headphone output).

I tested streaming over about a 15 metre range without problems.  It's slightly buggy in that at one point the playback point couldn't be moved to elsewhere in the file, but exiting the app and running it again fixed that.

A pretty neat feature!

Now let's have that "mark" button!  (Why?  Because when recording a live show, particularly if near the limit of the wifi range, if you pause or stop recording then there's  a chance that you might not be able to restart it if you lose the wifi link.  So it's prudent to keep recording all the time, and mark the points where you would have paused with the forthcoming "mark" button, then edit out the marked sections later).

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2015, 10:22:51 AM »
I was thinking about Ozpeter's posts here on the 22wl this morning.  I've seen some glowing user reviews elsewhere that to me studiously avoided mention of any initial problems with the remote DR software which caused me to completely discredit those reviews.  I've seen other reviews elsewhere that bordered on an impatient rant. 

I just wanted to thank Ozpeter for posting his series of updates on his experience with the 22wl.  They have been courteous, informative, and balanced, IMO. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2015, 06:29:07 PM »
That's kind, thanks.  This device does break a lot of new ground and I'm happy to be the guinea pig.  And I love new toys... I just wish that I could be out getting more real-world location experiences with the recorder but sadly some current circumstances are inhibiting that.

I really must do some testing with the Roland in-ear mics very soon, if only around the house. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2015, 10:02:53 PM »
For those interested in the inner workings of things, see http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2015/01/28/700788/10117474/en/GainSpan-Technology-Powers-TASCAM-s-DR-22WL-and-DR-44WL-First-Portable-Recorders-with-Wi-Fi.html which identifies the wifi chip used in these devices.

At http://tascam.com/news/display/2310/ announces $25 rebate on the DE-22WL for a limited period - USA purchasers only.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »
cobiwan posted a deal on the 22wl yesterday (thank you)  that I jumped on so I should have one shortly. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2015, 08:40:03 AM »
Cool - I think you will enjoy it - simply as a recorder it's ok rather than groundbreaking but the wifi control aspect gives rise to possibilities which hitherto no other recorder has, er, made possible.

Here's something it left-of-centre that it allows - the use of a seriously effective windscreen (dead cat) which tends to cover part if not most of the display, but when controlled by phone, the display doesn't need to be visible.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2015, 03:21:40 PM »
I excitedly opened the delivery box today to discover a set of headphones along with an invoice stating that the DR22wl is backordered. 

The salesman at Sam Ash said they didn't have any in stock when I went in the store a few days ago.   Whether or not the 22wl has caught on here on TS, looks like it has caught on elsewhere or Tascam isn't making them fast enough. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2015, 05:29:17 PM »
Now that's frustrating!

Meanwhile...  here's the release notes for the latest version of the Android app - which I've not yet had time to try -

- Added mark function.
- Fixed issue that caused character corruption on title name.
- Fixed issue that caused several icons not to appear.
- Minor bug fixes and improvements.

Hooray, mark function!  Everything comes to he who waits.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2015, 05:40:15 PM »
I think I'm getting a good deal on the headphones and the recorder so I'm okay with it.

Church Audio is having a $99 sale on mics with a battery box in the retail section through 2/20. 

Since the 22wl will be some distance from me in some situations, I've decided to get a pair of CA11 omnis to use with the 22wl.  My thinking is that if someone walks off with my recorder and mics, I don't want them to walk off with my DPAs.  And the CA11s have been popular here so I might as well give them a try. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2015, 06:38:51 PM »
I hadn't thought of that downside to a device at a distance untethered to cabling...  but it does have an attachment point for a wrist strap or whatever, and it would probably be possible to improvise some kind of tether to at least prevent it being snatched - make it so that someone would have to fiddle for a few moments to detach it from its stand.

The other thing you probably need is some kind of USB battery pack to give it longer running times on wifi.  They seem to be pretty cheap these days.

As for the popularity of the device - well, Android downloads are given as "1000 - 5000", and if you make the assumption that an equal number has been downloaded for Apple devices, and that everyone who buys one downloads one or other app, then sales would seem to lie between 2000 and 10,000.    And then you could guess that the original production run was 10,000 and that's why it's backordered.  Or not.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2015, 07:05:37 PM »
Heck, there's some stupid statements in the Amazon reviews for this device - mainly from people who seem to have got a free one to review - ("Why doesn't it have a colour touch screen interface?")  not to mention daft answers to questions ("yes, you can pair this to a wireless receiver for video").  I've done what I can correct errors in comments, but I would think it worth a Tascam rep passing by and providing some official comment and corrections.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2015, 07:47:26 PM »
By the way, I did test the "mark" function using the remote control app - it works fine. 

When you press the "Mark" button, which is commendably large, you get a message back giving the mark number (useful if you want to make a note of what happened at that particular mark). 

On playback (using the remote), if the "mark skip" function has been enabled on the recorder, then holding down the "mark" virtual button and at the same time pressing the skip forward or back button, playback skips to the next or previous mark.  If you are playing back via the streaming function, you may find some buffering happens because you are streaming the relatively large amounts of data in a BWF file, not an smaller mp3 (which doesn't support marks).

Chief missing function now is the ability to select a file in the "browse" screen of the app, and play it rather than copy it (copy is the only option offered once you have selected a file remotely).  At present, the only way to play (or stream) a particular file from the app is to use the forward or back skip buttons until you find yourself at the right file.   On the device itself you can of course browse to a file and play it or delete it etc.

Offline DancyGeorgia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2015, 07:53:08 PM »
I know a tapper who recorded a loud arena rock concert (Queen + Adam Lambert) using just the Tascam DR-22WL, no external mics or battery box. The mic gain on this device goes from 0-30. He had it set on 0 and still has some problems with clipping. I don't know if he had the limiter on.

Has anyone used this recorder to record a loud arena rock concert using external mics and battery box? If so, what mic gain setting did you have to use?

P.S. I got a really great recording of the same concert using a Sony PCM-M10, Church CA-11 cards + UBB! If anyone wants to download the FLAC files, sent me a message.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:05:05 PM by DancyGeorgia »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2015, 09:08:11 PM »
The mic gain on this device goes from 0-30
0 - 90 is the range of input adjustment  0 - 30 is the range of playback / monitoring adjustment.  Sound like he was using the wrong control.

Offline DancyGeorgia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2015, 09:27:33 PM »
The mic gain on this device goes from 0-30
0 - 90 is the range of input adjustment  0 - 30 is the range of playback / monitoring adjustment.  Sound like he was using the wrong control.

No, it was my mistake. I looked at my DR-22WL and saw 0-30. I have not actually used mine yet. I opted to use my Sony PCM-M10 for these concerts since I was very familiar with it and did not want to take a chance on an unknown.

He did said that he had his DR-22WL set to 0.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2015, 08:21:05 AM »
Hmm.  With the device set to zero on the input scale, any clipping must have been from incoming levels to which you really shouldn't expose your ears!  But maybe I'm showing my age...

One thing I'd suggest at a gig like that, and that would be to try the low cut at 40Hz.  In my tests, it appears that the recorder has a very extended - rising even - bass response, almost down to DC, and if there's a lot of LF stuff coming at it, the recorder may be clipping largely due to the bottom end being almost too well reproduced.  I think it's significant that almost all the presets that Tascam provide on the easy setting wheel incorporate that LF cut.  I know it goes against the grain to ditch part of the frequency spectrum during recording, but that might be the only way to get a clip-free outcome.  I suspect that the limiter works in the digital domain - that seems to be the usual thing these days - so if the source is really loud, the clipping might be happening in the analog stages before the limiter.  I could be wrong though...

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2015, 11:09:07 AM »
Might try recording an equally loud concert with both recorders to see if both clip in case your frI end got a bad one.

Offline DancyGeorgia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2015, 10:24:11 PM »
Hmm.  With the device set to zero on the input scale, any clipping must have been from incoming levels to which you really shouldn't expose your ears!  But maybe I'm showing my age...

One thing I'd suggest at a gig like that, and that would be to try the low cut at 40Hz.  In my tests, it appears that the recorder has a very extended - rising even - bass response, almost down to DC, and if there's a lot of LF stuff coming at it, the recorder may be clipping largely due to the bottom end being almost too well reproduced.  I think it's significant that almost all the presets that Tascam provide on the easy setting wheel incorporate that LF cut.  I know it goes against the grain to ditch part of the frequency spectrum during recording, but that might be the only way to get a clip-free outcome.  I suspect that the limiter works in the digital domain - that seems to be the usual thing these days - so if the source is really loud, the clipping might be happening in the analog stages before the limiter.  I could be wrong though...

Thanks for the suggestion! Would setting the LF cut to 120 Hz be too high, or is 40 Hz a better strategy?

As I remember, at the next concert he is attending this coming week, he is sitting up high near the FOH speakers. For the concerts I attended last month, when I sat in that location I had to turn the M10 gain down a notch from where I had set it (3 instead of 4) for earlier concerts (by the same group) when I was sitting further from the FOH speakers.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:18:30 PM by DancyGeorgia »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2015, 04:31:32 AM »
I'd say experiment with the low cut settings to see what you get (while running the actual recording on something else).  I really don't know what would be best - I'm more into string quartets myself...  The aim would be to use the lowest figure that seems to help with clipping (if it helps at all, but my hunch is that it should) without thinning the sound unacceptably.

Note that if using the remote control app, the low cut settings will only change if the the recorder is in the completely idle state (not recording, not record paused).  The app makes it look as if you can change the settings on the fly, but actually nothing happens.  Maybe try it out at home to completely familiarise yourself with how it works, and you'll also get a feel for how the sound changes, even if just recording yourself speaking.

Offline DancyGeorgia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2015, 10:27:17 PM »
On the Tascam DR-22WL web site, the following description is given for the "Loud" scene recording mode:

"This scene is tailored for loud events like rehearsals and concerts. It automatically sets the limiter and 40Hz low-cut filter, and the trim level is set relatively low."

What is the "trim level"?? I searched the manuals and no hits on "trim". Is this the same thing as turning the Input Level Volume Control dial?

Also, is it possible to change the mic sensitivity on the DR-22WL like can be done on the Sony PCM-M10?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:51:12 PM by DancyGeorgia »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2015, 10:56:48 PM »
What is the "trim level"?? I searched the manuals and no hits on "trim". Is this the same thing as turning the Input Level Volume Control dial?
Yes.  It just saves you cranking the knob down to the lower end of the scale.  (Note to non-owners - the input knob is a multiturn control, so to go from one end of the scale to the other you have to turn it more than 360 degrees - which is a slight pain for big adjustments but it makes fine adjustments easier).

Also, is it possible to change the mic sensitivity on the DR-22WL like can be done on the Sony PCM-M10?

No.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2015, 10:00:59 AM »
Got a notice that my backordered  22wl has been shipped. 

I have a situation where a church has a Mackie DL1608 at the stage and I need to playback some tracks for some kids to sing with.  Wondering if I could plug the 22wl into the Mackie at the stage and then control playback of each track with my Android from somewhere in the pews?  I just need to be able to play track 1 and stop.  Play track 2 and stop. etc. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2015, 06:21:58 PM »
A quick glance at the menus doesn't show a setting for continuous play vs single track play.  You'd need to manually stop at the end of each track.  Ideally, provide some seconds of silence at the end of each track to allow for the (fairly remote) chance that the link drops right when you need to stop playback and has to be re-established (by exiting the app then running it again, which here is a very quick operation).  But it should work fine, and it's yet another example of how this device can be used in unexpected ways.

Another laterally-thought use - connect it permanently to your hifi to provide for recording off the radio or whatever and playback, with mains powering, and controlled from a comfy position across the room.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2015, 08:17:22 PM »
Delivery delayed by snow, but I think it will be here tomorrow. 

We've been using a DR05 plugged into the board for the same thing with the tracks spaced out as you recommend.  I suspect we can do this wirelessly on the 22wl now.

Also, I sort of wonder how much of the DR05 is built into the 22wl except for the WIFI part, but will refain from taking either one apart to find out. 

Maybe also connect the 22wl to a portable amp hidden outside at Halloween to scare some kids? 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2015, 03:03:48 AM »
Maybe also connect the 22wl to a portable amp hidden outside at Halloween to scare some kids?

You set your sights too low.  It's much more fun to scare little old ladies.

(OK, I'm not like that really...)

As we head for temperatures in the mid thirties tomorrow - centigrade - it's hard to conceive of your delivery being delayed by snow!

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2015, 06:44:46 PM »
Can't afford the lawsuit from heart attacks.

Is there a way to listen on an android tablet to what is being recorded or can you only set levels via the meters?

Also, there is a nifty -12db green light on the 22wl, but none in Dr control app?

?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:29:20 PM by 2manyrocks »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2015, 08:47:25 PM »
The app has indicators (not lights really, more like black squares) to correspond with the peak lights on the device - they are above the kind of orange panel of the display.

No, you can't monitor live (and I don't think that will come later, from the original blurb about the machine).  The best you can do is to record short representative bits of the soundcheck (if any) in mp3 format for rapid transfer to the app across the wifi link and replay there while the musicians are talking (or whatever, you know the typical scenario).  Or use the streaming playback facility during such a break if the link is good enough.  In my experience, streaming does work well enough on the whole for such sampling of test recordings, though you might get some buffering happening.

It's a pity that live monitoring isn't provided (which would have given you the equivalent of a radio mic system) but perhaps doing that while also recording the data on the card was simply more than the processor of the device can handle.  But I bet that most users will find themselves in the same general space as the performers with this device, and personally I find that even with reasonably isolated cans on a conventional wired system, you need to replay rather than live monitor to really establish what's going on if the performance is anywhere near you.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2015, 09:28:33 PM »
Thanks.

I'm just recording choir stuff-earplugs usually work well enough for isolation.  It's not Rock N Roll. 

I was wrong about the 22wl being related to the Dr05 in any way.  The wl case is much more narrow.

Overall, it is an intriguing recorder. 

Offline kylieshotpants

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »
Hi

I recently bought one of these, my next show is a loud rock show 

I will use 9v battery box and Omni binaural microphones

I can only familiarise with the features at home before.

Is it best to use the music or loud setting - or go manual setting?

Thanks 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:30:40 PM by kylieshotpants »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2015, 05:40:34 PM »
There's nothing that the presets do (eg music or loud) that you can't do yourself using the manual setting.  Off the top of my head, the loud setting simply turns down the input level to about 30 (out of 100) and turns on the 40Hz low cut filter.  Those settings might actually be a good starting point for a loud concert, and of course you can reduce the level further using the input level knob if need be.  So using the loud preset is a small timesaver, but it's a matter of personal preference whether you go the preset knob route or make your own choices in the menus on the manual setting.  Do let us know how it goes!

stevetoney

« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2015, 08:12:40 AM »
Ozpeter, I have nothing to add to this thread, except to offer kudos to you for being such a helping expert on this recorder.  I kinda did the same thing when I got the DR100MKii and I think people really benefit from knowing that there's a reliable 'go to' person for info of this kind about these recorders.  It's one of the many great things about taperssection.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2015, 06:18:06 PM »
Cheers - I just wish I could get out with it more.  Still, if I can assist in others getting more real-world experience with theirs, that's good!

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2015, 02:15:04 PM »
Hey all, first post.

I am currently between the Tascam DR-22WL and the Zoom H2n.  Optimizer, I see you own each from reading threads here.  Would you try to shed some light on which would be best for my application?  I need it to take better than iPhone mic quality recordings of audio like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r9Gng3LKjI

I'll be going back to the African village shown in the images to celebrate the commissioning of the new solar water system my non-profit engineered and had installed.  These people know how to party! I want to capture their fantastic polyrhythmic percussion and dance in better definition to use in future fundraising media.  I chose these two mics because they are small, cheap and have seemingly good specs plus great features. 

What I want to capture by priority:
1) Polyrhythmic dance parties both small (20 people) and large (100+)
2) Small and large group discussions.  Ideal for remembering all said while discussing understandings in 3-4 languages
3) I'd also like to capture some southern Louisiana spring and swamp samples for personal compisitions (lower priority)

Concerns
a) Noise floor performance.
b) Which is greater:  flexible mic orientation the Zoom or  Wifi capability of the Tascam.
c) Which has higher quality

I hope this isn't a derail, I'm currently leaning toward DR-22WL.  I am not willing to break $150 at this time, most of my pennies are invested in fundraising and travel already.  I plan on getting the "dead cat" wind shield.  Any insight from anyone would be fantastic.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:18:11 PM by Esla »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2015, 02:45:20 PM »
Tascam is offering a $25 rebate on the 22wl right now which brings its price to $124.99 and it includes a 4 gb card.  I do not have a zoom to compare it with.  Although I have only had the 22wl a few days, my first impression is that it may not have the battery life of the DR-05 which is $99, but I don't think it includes a card.  For the kind of recording in remote locations you posted, Wifi is not needed, and I would be more concerned with battery life. 

You don't have to spend much for a "dead cat."  You can buy some fuzzy fabric at your local fabric shop, and use some fabric glue and elastic to make your own for less than $5.00. 

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2015, 02:55:24 PM »

DIY cat is smart!  I was looking at buddles on ebay for each that include the shield and card for same retail price as on Sweetwater.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »
B & H photo and Adorama Camera in NYC have each been offering bundled deals for several weeks now.  I suspect some of the ebay sellers have bought the bundles that included various kinds of headphones and are selling off the 22wl separately from the headphones they got in these bundle deals.  The thing to watch for is to figure what price you end up with which can vary depending on whether you can still use the $25 Tascam rebate. 

Although the better deal is on the 22wl instead of the 05 in my opinion right now, battery life is something to consider.  You could use a 5v cellphone battery to power the 22wl if you happen to already have an external cellphone battery.   

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2015, 03:22:34 PM »
I'm bringing 2 external cellphone batteries one with solar charging.  I plan on sharing them between iPhone, GoPro and DR-22WL (or Zoom H2n).  I'm off grid for 3-5 days at a time. 

In airplane mode the iPhone will hold for days unless the Tascam app eats power rapidly which it seems that it might.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 03:24:18 PM by Esla »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2015, 03:36:08 PM »
WIFI is going to consume your batteries. 

Back at post 61 in this thread, I noted other users had reported about 3 hours of battery life when the 22wl is on WIFI.  Unless there is some very good reason why you must use WIFI for what you plan on recording, I would try to avoid it.  I haven't run mine long enough to determine what the battery life is, but ran into a low battery warning really quickly to my thinking.     

The Sony PCM M10 will run probably 30-40 hours on a set of AAs, but it is $200. 

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2015, 04:55:50 PM »

Can you kill wifi from the app once your levels and everything is set to preserve power?

The M10 seems to get allot of love but not for the internal mics.  I'm looking for the best budget all in one, not a modular or upgradable system.  I'm fairly set on either H2n or DR-22WL.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2015, 06:18:44 PM »
No, you can't control the wifi link from the app.  It's possible that if you are not actually logged onto the recorder from the phone that the recorder will use less battery but I haven't tested that.

Personally I prefer the actual mics of the H2N to those of the DR-22WL.  As I've previously mentioned, the DR-22WL mid-high frequencies seem to need to be boosted in post production for the recording to sound "right".  On the other hand, its low frequency response goes down very low - but that means that wind noise is a major problem out of doors.  But... if you are operating the device from a phone, you can fit a big dead kitten over the mics and over part of the display, because not being able to see the display doesn't matter.

That's not to say that the H2N doesn't need protection from wind too, it's just a bit less of a problem.

The chief point of the Tascam is the wifi control.  If it didn't have that, I don't think it has any particular killer feature to recommend it over the competition.  It does have some plus points - bigger display enabling more at-a-glance checking of many menu settings at once, precise readout and control of level, and the mics produce a correct stereo image compared to the M10.

The H2N's plus points are its multi-capsule mic system, clear display for those needing glasses, and personally I like the vertical format, so you can easily see the display if it's in front of you, rather than having to look down from above to see it.  That has some advantage when camera mounted too. 

I think you'll have to make a judgement on whether the wifi control will enable you to do stuff with the Tascam that you couldn't possible do with the Zoom, in the situation that you'll be in.

Hope that helps...  I always feel a bit nervous making recommendations for other people's expenditure!

(http://zoomforum.us/viewtopic.php?t=17093 has an ambient recording made with the H2N which may be of interest).

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »
You know, I think I'm going to have to pull my finger out and do a shootout between the internal mics of the M10, DR-22WL, and the H2N, with a reference recording made using a Sennheiser MKH series pair.  If I can't do it today it probably won't be for a couple of days later, but I'll do my best...

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
Thank you both for the input.  I did notice on a youtube demo that the DR-22WL did have a darker sound to it compared to the H1, I think what I was hearing was the high mid cut you talked in detail about earlier.  I think I have a good idea on the tone differences now except for which has the lowest noise floor?

Thanks for the H2n sample, I always find the sound of foot steps on gravel southing...perhaps I am weird.  There is a constant white noise in the recording, is that wind?  Was a dead cat used? 

The recording from the youtube was done with the onboard iPhone mic poorly placed, either will be a step up I am sure.

Last question, which feels more robust?

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2015, 06:44:12 PM »
You know, I think I'm going to have to pull my finger out and do a shootout between the internal mics of the M10, DR-22WL, and the H2N, with a reference recording made using a Sennheiser MKH series pair.  If I can't do it today it probably won't be for a couple of days later, but I'll do my best...

I would be very interested in that!

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2015, 09:14:23 PM »
It's very hard to be sure about the "constant white noise" on the recording.  It's not something that troubles me.  As the linked post says, I used a Rode "dead kitten" to suppress wind noise though the wind was quite light.  But there were plenty of trees and bushes around, and if you think of those thousands of leaves rustling even a little, that makes a certain amount of whitish noise for a start.  I think our ears naturally exclude some general environmental noise when we listen naturally, and it only becomes obvious when listening to a recording. 

The other thing to consider is playback level.  For me, a recording like that should be played back at a level such that (for example) the footsteps on the gravel sound no louder than footsteps on gravel should sound (my feet, not Shrek's!).  The whole recording should be heard at that correct level, so your aural experience is authentic.  Of course you can crank up the quiet bits and hear system noise, but then the playback ceases to be authentic.

Without having carefully tested, I don't think there's a significant difference in the noise from the built in mics of the Tascam and Zoom recorders, but part of the shootout I will conduct later will be to provide some kind of noise floor comparison via a ticking clock test.  That will be part 2 - part 1 will simply be a recording of my studio's monitors replaying one minute of a Jacques Loussier track, with careful attention to the placement of the devices in the same spot and with level setting being the same.  It won't sound particularly good (recording loudspeakers usually doesn't, but of course recording a rock band's PA speakers isn't really much different) but having the very high quality Sennheiser mics as part of the test will provide a basis for comparison.  The test should also reveal differences in stereo imaging, which for me is important as well as frequency response.

As for robustness - well, you can get a hardish case shell for the Zoom, but I don't think one is available for the Tascam.  The Zoom perhaps has more vulnerable switches, but I don't think there's a significant difference between the robustness of the two.  If you can, treat any such device as gently as possible.  On your trip of course that may not always be possible!

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
If not this trip I think I'll will get or build a case to fit GoPro and Tascam/Zoom together.  It will be used for several trips and passed along to other volunteers if I am un-able to make it...At least until we get a proper media volunteer.

One of the things that is attractive with the WIFI Tascam is that you can set it up and monitor it from anywhere.  Media capture during these events is secondary, I have to participate in the discussions and celebrations first, capture sound and video second.  I'd feel the same way at a show, they are always funner when your sweating and dancing than on headphones.  The freedom to mount and be cordless is AWESOME.

As far as noise, I think it is more of an issue when taping the discussions and interviews.  Percussion, singing and laughter will likely over power any noise on either device. The interviews I got last time were stupid bad with the GoPro rear facing camera.

So I lied, I have one more question and that may come through on your future shoot out.  Which stands better chance of being articulate between different timbers and notes?

This wont matter to 99% of listeners, but I'm personally addicted to chopping and slicing loops and samples and then mangling them through analog processors and turning them into Maschine instruments.  That iPhone capture was difficult to manipulate in this way.  I think the best stereo image will help.  Its also likely with so many fast and peaky notes it will be tough slice no matter what.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:45:59 PM by Esla »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
I don't know what the range is, but has to be a range to the 22wl.

If you are participating, you have to find a way to mount it in an appropriate location to pickup the events.  This means a stand or finding something to clamp it to  or having someone hold it, and that's unpredictable.   

It could be you would have better control, use less batteries and get better recordings by wearing the recorder on your person and adding some external microphones to your hat or shirt collar like the Church Audio mics or some of the AT 831s that Darktrain has for sale in the yard sale here. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2015, 08:35:45 PM »
One of the things that is attractive with the WIFI Tascam is that you can set it up and monitor it from anywhere.

You may be fully aware of the limitations, but just to be sure - you can monitor levels live, but you cannot monitor the sound (eg on headphones connected to your phone) live.  But you can replay remotely.  "Anywhere" has to be within the wifi range of the device. 

I have to say that the scenarios you describe are ones that the DR-22WL addresses well.  Indeed you'd need to mount it on some kind of stand or tripod (or on top of a camera on its tripod) and you'd probably need an external power pack for prolonged use on wifi, but these days that's no big deal.  Also a suitable USB extension lead to allow the power pack to be placed on the ground at the bottom of the tripod.

Now about the shootout - I've decided that as it covers a few different devices, and raises some general points about recording matters, it merits its own thread (and it might be missed here by anyone not specifically interested in the Tascam recorder).  I'm about to post that now.

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2015, 08:57:39 PM »
I don't know what the range is, but has to be a range to the 22wl.

If you are participating, you have to find a way to mount it in an appropriate location to pickup the events.  This means a stand or finding something to clamp it to  or having someone hold it, and that's unpredictable.   

It could be you would have better control, use less batteries and get better recordings by wearing the recorder on your person and adding some external microphones to your hat or shirt collar like the Church Audio mics or some of the AT 831s that Darktrain has for sale in the yard sale here.

Not ready to get that serious but when/if I ever am I would probably flip the Tascam for the M10 right? 

I have GoPro clamp mounts and monopod that can stab in the dirt.  I plan on picking up one of those $30 ultra compact tripods from amazon (everything has to fit in a 40L bag).  The GoPro and field mic will probably trade between clamp and tripod.  Monopod more for quick captures while riding and walking.  I think it will be easy to stay in range from the reports found here.

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »
I'm about to post that now.

Thanks to this forum I am aware of the limitations and allot more about the 22WL.  Thanks largely to all your posts. 

I didn't see any new threads with DR-22WL in them.  Have you posted yet?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2015, 02:16:28 AM »
Yes, I did post and I think you've now seen it.

Perversely, but it's more relevant here, I'll comment here on recorder usability arising from doing the shootout. 

When I mounted the M10 on the mic stand so that the recorder was level with my nose (the height I had each device) I realised at once that in order to adjust the levels before running the test, I'd have to lower the stand so that I could actually see the display and controls.  And to set it recording I had to kind of stand on tiptoes to unpause it when it was at the required height. 

The H2N was no problem because apart from the mic pattern control, everything is visible or reachable when it's on a stand (well, up to about 7 feet) due to its vertical configuration. 

Of course when it came to the Tascam recorder, once I'd established the wifi link I could do everything else from the phone.  If it was on the top of a 20 foot stand, no problem.  Getting the level exactly right by touch on the phone screen was slightly tricky, but no big deal really.

So for use on a greater-than-nose-height stand, looking at ease of use, the Tascam comes first, the H2N second, and the M10 last.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2015, 09:49:17 AM »
On android 8 inch tablet, 22wl screen is huge.  Actually too much unused space.  Wish DR control software would allow customization of screen views. 

Have not tried it on phone.

What is the normal battery life of the zoom vs 22wl?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2015, 05:25:53 PM »
Zoom quote 20 hours for the H2N - "Battery life when using alkaline batteries is more than 20 hours, even during continuous recording."

For the Tascam, they say "Max Battery Life    17.5 hours (recording), 19 hours (playback)".

So the Zoom has the edge there, but personally I'm mostly concerned with a scenario that involves an afternoon soundcheck followed by an evening concert.  Either would cover that easily but if the Wifi control of the Tascam is used, you'd almost certainly be looking at an external power pack, if only for peace of mind. 

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2015, 05:36:28 PM »
Hey all, first post.

I am currently between the Tascam DR-22WL and the Zoom H2n.  Optimizer, I see you own each from reading threads here.  Would you try to shed some light on which would be best for my application?  I need it to take better than iPhone mic quality recordings of audio like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r9Gng3LKjI

I'll be going back to the African village shown in the images to celebrate the commissioning of the new solar water system my non-profit engineered and had installed.  These people know how to party! I want to capture their fantastic polyrhythmic percussion and dance in better definition to use in future fundraising media.  I chose these two mics because they are small, cheap and have seemingly good specs plus great features. 

What I want to capture by priority:
1) Polyrhythmic dance parties both small (20 people) and large (100+)
2) Small and large group discussions.  Ideal for remembering all said while discussing understandings in 3-4 languages
3) I'd also like to capture some southern Louisiana spring and swamp samples for personal compisitions (lower priority)

Concerns
a) Noise floor performance.
b) Which is greater:  flexible mic orientation the Zoom or  Wifi capability of the Tascam.
c) Which has higher quality

I hope this isn't a derail, I'm currently leaning toward DR-22WL.  I am not willing to break $150 at this time, most of my pennies are invested in fundraising and travel already.  I plan on getting the "dead cat" wind shield.  Any insight from anyone would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Ozpeter--let's assume you're going on this trip to make these recordings instead of Esla, but you can only take either the 22wl or the Zoom, but not both.  Which one would you take and why? 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2015, 08:28:21 PM »
I think the answer is in this post -

One of the things that is attractive with the WIFI Tascam is that you can set it up and monitor it from anywhere.  Media capture during these events is secondary, I have to participate in the discussions and celebrations first, capture sound and video second.  I'd feel the same way at a show, they are always funner when your sweating and dancing than on headphones.  The freedom to mount and be cordless is AWESOME.

Overall, the H2N would make a better recording in the first place (IMHO) but if operational practicalities meant that it couldn't be so well placed etc then that advantage might disappear.  I suspect that the Tascam recorder's sound could be tweaked in post-production to sound not much different from the H2N.  So, on this occasion, taking all things into account, the Tascam would be my choice.

Roll on the day when there's an H2WL (wifi controlled H2N)!

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2015, 02:11:28 AM »

Overall, the H2N would make a better recording in the first place (IMHO) but if operational practicalities meant that it couldn't be so well placed etc then that advantage might disappear.  I suspect that the Tascam recorder's sound could be tweaked in post-production to sound not much different from the H2N.  So, on this occasion, taking all things into account, the Tascam would be my choice.

Roll on the day when there's an H2WL (wifi controlled H2N)!

I have been coming to the same conclusion.  However, before I make my mind I need to do two things.

1)  research remote recording methods and determine if the ideas in my head are smart or not.
2) really think about power consumption and if I'll even bother with wifi.  I learned today that power in the capitol is very intermittent at the moment.  So my off grid days are 5 and my on grid days are no guarantee.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2015, 12:17:42 PM »
I think you are on the right track.

You might search for Mardi Gras recordings on archive.org and look at the equipment used there.  It's not so easy thinking of where you could find something exactly like what you want to record.  Moreover, I doubt that the people you want to record line up in a choral formation to make things predictable and easy for you.  That makes me think you would want to be in the middle of the event and use omnis.   I haven't experienced what you have experienced so I may be badly wrong, but if the sounds you want to record are coming from all around you, looks like omnis would be the best choice. 

FWIW, I recommend that you email or PM Chris at Church-Audio.com, tell him what you are doing and ask what he recommends.  He has been having a $99 sale on his mics including a 9v battery box (will run for days and days on a battery) in the Retail section.  Not sure if the sale is still going, but please consider that external mics can really improve your recording no matter which portable recorder you pick.  $99 compared to the cost of travel to Africa and coming away with a useable recording is not out of reason.

Look for reviews where users have posted their experience with battery life vs. the paper specs.  Unlike the US where we can run in a store and buy AAs, your situation is very different.  From what I understand, people sometimes walk for days in Africa to attend an event.  You don't want to miss a recording because of a recorder that sucks the life out of your batteries.   I'm too new to the 22wl to be certain, but I have owned a Dr05 for a few years now, and know the DR05 is not a battery hog.  It was also selling for $59 at one point, but the current retail price seems to be $99.  There are some threads by JoelPatterson on GearSlutz.com called "troy night out" where he walked around the streets of Troy, NY making recordings with his DR05 and a camera.  Take a few minutes and check it out. 

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2015, 06:17:41 PM »
I've been trying the DR22 with an external battery pack for the last few hours and using that I've been able to verify that if the device is set to never sleep, then when the transport is idle, the wifi connection remains available for an extended period even if the remote control device disconnects altogether.  That's true when it's recording too.  So you can go and have drinks in the interval with your phone in your pocket switched off, and regain control when you go back into the auditorium.  Or you can start recording, turn off your phone, then at the end of the show turn back on, reconnect, re-run the app, and press stop.

Note that even on external power, if you set the device to sleep after (say) three minutes' non-use, and you stop it with the remote, it will go to sleep after 3 mins and the only way to get it back on is to use the controls on the device itself.

Put the 22wl on the stage of a local elementary school talent contest and went to auditorium balcony.  Had good signal and adjusted levels.  Set it down on the bleachers in the balcony  and less than minute later lost signal to tablet.  I just let it run until the end of the show and turned it off manually.   Don't know if the steel railing on the balcony messed with the signal or why the signal dropped. 

So I could have reconnected and gotten control over the input level in the middle of the recording? 

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:19:29 PM by 2manyrocks »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2015, 05:32:06 AM »
You should be able to exit from the app and run it a again in order to regain control, without affecting anything.  Indeed you should be able to turn off the phone wifi and back in order to reconnect.  But try these things at home first to test (by getting too far from the recorder to stimulate a connection problem).

Could you see what the blue wifi light was doing when you had the problem?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2015, 11:47:01 AM »
I didn't have a clear view of the light.  I was probably 70-80 feet away.  The only thing between the tablet and the 22wl was the metal balcony rail--which is made of tubing.  Not a solid rail. 

I will have another recording opportunity later in the week.   

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2015, 12:27:10 PM »
I think you are on the right track.

You might search for Mardi Gras recordings on archive.org and look at the equipment used there.  It's not so easy thinking of where you could find something exactly like what you want to record.  Moreover, I doubt that the people you want to record line up in a choral formation to make things predictable and easy for you.  That makes me think you would want to be in the middle of the event and use omnis.   I haven't experienced what you have experienced so I may be badly wrong, but if the sounds you want to record are coming from all around you, looks like omnis would be the best choice. 

Have participated and recorded many drum circles/percussion/instrument outdoor sessions and think it is a hard event to record.

As "2manyrocks" states each drum circle/percussion/instrument event is different. Sometimes we line up straight with 2 groups facing each other. More like lines of people. Then other times we have small circles maybe 15 feet wide up to large circle up to 60 feet wide. Then other times it is people just jamming in a straight line and could be up to 60 feet difference between first person inline and last. Sometimes the circle/lines move during the event. Could not list all the different configuration that are possible here.

What I have learned is:

Where you place the mics are critical.
What kind of mic you pick to use is important.
Every session is different - You might need to make changes on the fly.
Outdoor conditions make it harder...wind, rain, heat and the difficulties this cause with the recording and gear.

What I have found, In a circle you can use omnis and it picks up the group relatively well...whoever is closet to the recorder/mics is usually loudest though the bigger sounding instruments can overpower the other instruments. There are problems here with many instruments are at different volumes in the recording. If it is a line of drummers or performers one set of omni mics is not going to pick up the performers at the ends very well. Tricky to get the levels set on the recorder properly due to performers coming/going and changing position in the circle/line all the time. Usually I get a pretty raw recording meaning there are problems with the recording each time due to some issues listed above and others. Some recordings are hard to listen to and do not sound good.

When the people speak in a drum circle it is almost inaudible in the recording due to the levels you set your recorder at are set for very loud music. Sometimes we play at actually outdoor venues and I can set my cards/omni mics up in back and then the recordings are more even and balanced. Though these recording sound distant compared to having an omni's in the center of the circle.

Also found some drummers/performers do not like you to record them. This can be a tricky situations due to so many people in the group and if no rule about taping has been established. Been told before these sessions are not to be recorded in very stern voices.

If I was going to go for a one device solution I would get the best recorder with omni mics. Not sure how much wifi helps you here in reality. If you have to move the mics...battery life...distance you can pick up the wifi...can not monitor recording on device...etc.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:21:52 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2015, 06:52:06 PM »
I would get the best recorder with omni mics.

I strongly disagree, unless stereo image is unimportant.  There is no known / recommended stereo mic technique which uses omni mics at the kind of close spacing that building them into a portable recorder dictates.  At the end of the M10 sample in the recent shootout thread, when the source comes from about 60 degrees left for the last 5 seconds of the recording, the replayed sound barely moves from the centre.  Compare that with the other devices in that test.

When it comes to recording a source which is coming from all around the recorder, I would have thought the H2N's four channel mode has much to recommend it.  This provides four cardioid mics pointing (more or less) to all points of the compass, recorded to four individual tracks.  In post-production, this gives you (again, roughly) four stereo pairs to choose from at any given moment, one pair facing front (front L and front R), one pointing right (front R and rear R), one pointing back (rear R and rear L) and one left (rear L and front L), and of course combinations of that - with a full width stereo image always available.

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2015, 07:26:41 AM »
I would get the best recorder with omni mics.

I strongly disagree, unless stereo image is unimportant.  There is no known / recommended stereo mic technique which uses omni mics at the kind of close spacing that building them into a portable recorder dictates.  At the end of the M10 sample in the recent shootout thread, when the source comes from about 60 degrees left for the last 5 seconds of the recording, the replayed sound barely moves from the centre.  Compare that with the other devices in that test.

When it comes to recording a source which is coming from all around the recorder, I would have thought the H2N's four channel mode has much to recommend it.  This provides four cardioid mics pointing (more or less) to all points of the compass, recorded to four individual tracks.  In post-production, this gives you (again, roughly) four stereo pairs to choose from at any given moment, one pair facing front (front L and front R), one pointing right (front R and rear R), one pointing back (rear R and rear L) and one left (rear L and front L), and of course combinations of that - with a full width stereo image always available.

I thought the H2n was only XY not mid-side my bad. Agreed the H2N would probably be better here then a single device recorder with omnis.
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2015, 06:51:02 PM »
The last 3 posts seem very practical observations to me.  There is a used H2n at Trew Audio for $100 if Elsa has any interest in it. 

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2015, 11:52:37 AM »
The last 3 posts seem very practical observations to me.  There is a used H2n at Trew Audio for $100 if Elsa has any interest in it.

Damn!  Life got in the way the last couple of weeks and I missed out on a couple really good H2n deals!  Thanks to you all I think I have come to realize that the H2n is the best for my application.  As much as wireless control would be nice I think the capture and and extended battery life (with no wifi temptation) of the Zoom gives it a clear edge.

Who know, I may trade it for something else before the following trip just to compare...I'm pretty slutty with music and recording gear.  I'll post samples.

Cheers!

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2015, 05:22:48 PM »

Have participated and recorded many drum circles/percussion/instrument outdoor sessions and think it is a hard
What I have learned is:

Where you place the mics are critical.
What kind of mic you pick to use is important.
Every session is different - You might need to make changes on the fly.
Outdoor conditions make it harder...wind, rain, heat and the difficulties this cause with the recording and gear.

What I have found, In a circle you can use omnis and it picks up the group relatively well...whoever is closet to the recorder/mics is usually loudest though the bigger sounding instruments can overpower the other instruments. There are problems here with many instruments are at different volumes in the recording. If it is a line of drummers or performers one set of omni mics is not going to pick up the performers at the ends very well. Tricky to get the levels set on the recorder properly due to performers coming/going and changing position in the circle/line all the time. Usually I get a pretty raw recording meaning there are problems with the recording each time due to some issues listed above and others. Some recordings are hard to listen to and do not sound good.

When the people speak in a drum circle it is almost inaudible in the recording due to the levels you set your recorder at are set for very loud music. Sometimes we play at actually outdoor venues and I can set my cards/omni mics up in back and then the recordings are more even and balanced. Though these recording sound distant compared to having an omni's in...

The party circles have a line of 4-8 women on perc and the entire circle is clapping and singing.  Dancers make center placement tough but large over hanging mango trees could provide creative placement opportunities.  These are at night within a small compound in the village.  The main event stuff is different, much bigger.  Center placement is easy at first cuz they put us in the middle to eat as with any visitors.  After that we move to the edge and likely so will the mic.  This is our third trip but first finished project, I have no idea what to expect for the official commissioning celebration, I suspect it will be different from the forums and public meetings we had in the past.  Probably grow from big to huge.

I wish every meeting at my job had a meal and percussion;)

Thanks for sharing your drum circle capture experience.

Offline kylieshotpants

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2015, 11:17:47 AM »
Hi

just a quick update I have used this recorder for two shows so far using
SP-BMC-2 - Sound Professionals Miniature Binaural Microphones standard sensitivity Omnidirectional
Church audio 9v battery box

my settings  24 bit 44 kHz
bass roll off 40Hz
manual level 0

I like to go a bit conservative as you can go louder in post.
The first show was a loud rock show in a 5000 capacity hall
The second was a small club type venue with a very loud techno act

Both recordings have come out very well no distortion etc.

without trying it in the future I am not sure how higher you can go on the level as I was only about 7db under during the loudest parts.

On the whole I am very pleased with the unit- I stealth so only problem, is it is big! and am yet to use the Wi-Fi - which is the main reason for buying it- but have not tested how long the battery's will last on average.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #148 on: March 18, 2015, 06:31:02 PM »
I stealth so only problem, is it is big!

That's where the wifi remote is handy - nobody will notice you fiddling with a phone, not realising you're actually controlling a recorder tucked into your coat pocket or whatever.  But indeed, it's not the most pocket-friendly device, and adding an external power supply to help with the wifi battery consumption doesn't help matters.  I guess if you are a lady it would all go easily into a handbag, but if you're not, well, you're going to have to wear a wig.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2015, 07:19:36 PM »
Phone may be the way to go.  I have used the 22wl in a school gym, church sanctuary and now a school auditorium with an android tablet.  It's fine close by, as soon as I walked 30-40' feet away, it became laggy and unreliable.  Could be the tablet.  Haven't tried it with a phone yet.  Being able to ride the gain with wildly varying sound sources is a plus, though. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2015, 10:55:58 PM »
Those fortunate enough to have a choice of controlling device might well find that one device might have a better wifi system than another.  There are apps available to show wifi signal strength that might help in choosing.  However, the way such apps show quite substantial variations in wifi signal strength when the phone/tablet is put down and the user stands still is intriguing.  Maybe that happens most when there are competing wifi access points around, which is less likely to be experienced during location recording.

Of course if the recorder is in your pocket or bag and the phone is in your hand, there shouldn't be any range issues!

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2015, 12:30:02 AM »
I previously posted this jazz club sample from the DR-22WL -

https://soundcloud.com/ozpeter/part-2-item-1

I now notice that there's an "official" video, with sound from the soundboard I believe, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r01AlVjVuLk

Not the same piece, but still an interesting comparison.  And a fine player IMHO!

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2015, 06:45:57 AM »
It always surprises me just how well the built in microphones can work on these small recorders.

Here's a recording I made of a Big Band, with a Tascam DR05 lying on a table between the beer glasses.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70230944/Yankee%20Doodle%20Dandy.mp3

I did apply a touch of EQ and reverb in post.

Jon.
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2015, 08:00:26 PM »
Nice one, Jonmac - what I like in particular is the stereo image which to me sounds nice and wide with precise placement of the instruments within that width.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2015, 10:24:36 AM »
My wife needed 3 minutes of her talking recorded for college assignment, and it was handy to be able to position the DR-22WL on a table stand right in front of her at her desk (which is pushed up against a window, no way of getting round the back of it), then operating it from my phone with no need to reach around her to try to get at the recorder controls and display.  The sound itself was perfectly adequate for the purpose.  Very handy recorder in certain scenarios such as this.

tomuo

« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2015, 01:16:51 PM »
New bug-fix firmware V1.14 is now available on the TASCAM website.

The DR-Control app is also updated.    Android version available now,  iOS version waiting on Apple.

Note : this version only updates from V1.13, you must be at that version first.     The WiFi module update is now part of the main update, not a separate file.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:22:06 PM by tomuo »

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2015, 01:23:05 AM »
I finally got around to updating the firmware on my DR-22WL to V1.14.  The update went smooth but now I can't see its WiFi.  It's SSID doesn't show up on any of my iOS devices ranging from iPhone 6 (current iOS version) to my iPad Mini3 to my iPad 1 (iOS 5.something).  It also doesn't show up on either of my MacBook's WiFi. 

As I am typing this it suddenly appeared on all the above devices, I could connect via the DR-Control app on my iPhone 6 and all seemed well.  So for testing purposes I turned it off and back on again and once again no sign of its network. 

Are others consistently able to see and connect to their DR-22WL's network after updating to V1.14?  Any suggestions? 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2015, 06:27:27 AM »
So for testing purposes I turned it off and back on again and once again no sign of its network.
Did you turn off/on the device itself, or just its wifi?

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2015, 02:27:04 PM »
I turned the device on and off.  Tried it on batteries.  Tried it on external bus power.  Turned it off and took the batteries out for 10 minutes.  Tried all combinations all over again.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2015, 04:55:05 PM »
And what is the blue wifi indicator light doing - on at all, steady, flashing?

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2015, 05:10:56 PM »
Flashing.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2015, 08:31:37 PM »
So it's looking for a connection, or it thinks it is.  Three choices - firmware upgrade has stuffed it, or there's a hardware fault, or you've got the device in some kind of location that's conflicting with its wifi (eg next to an operating microwave, to take an extreme example).   I have to admit I've not updated mine to the current FW yet, but will try to do so today, to see if mine gets stuffed too...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #162 on: August 24, 2015, 09:41:06 AM »
... and presumably the batteries are in prime condition?

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #163 on: August 24, 2015, 10:18:48 AM »
Yes, the batteries are new.  Also I tried running it off of external power.

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #164 on: August 24, 2015, 04:08:06 PM »
I brought my DR-22WL to work with me today where it was visible and connected immediately to my phone.  My current speculation is while at home I am in a very dense WiFi area.  I can see up to 30 access points form my home office.  I wonder if the SSID broadcast from DR-22WL isn't strong enough to be seen above all the others even though it is only a few feet away from my phone?

Most likely won't be a problem in the field.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #165 on: August 24, 2015, 08:23:50 PM »
I can see up to 30 access points form my home office.
Hmm.  You have to wonder what that does to your brain, let alone your DR-22WL!  As you say, it should be ok in the field but I rather wonder whether it's one specific and strong source of interference that's upsetting it when you are at home.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #166 on: August 25, 2015, 12:21:56 PM »
New bug-fix firmware V1.14 is now available on the TASCAM website.

The DR-Control app is also updated.    Android version available now,  iOS version waiting on Apple.

Note : this version only updates from V1.13, you must be at that version first.     The WiFi module update is now part of the main update, not a separate file.
[/b]

Hmm, I wonder if going from updating the wifi separately to being part of the main update might be confusing to the 22wl or the upgrade didn't entirely take?  And your unit was on V1.13 when you updated?

I haven't updated mine to be able to speak to the upgrade myself. 

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #167 on: August 25, 2015, 12:32:41 PM »
I was on V1.13 prior to upgrading.  The upgrade appeared to go smooth and having the WiFi upgrade integrated into on package made the process a lot simpler from an end user standpoint.

I'll try contacting Tascam/Teac to see if there are known issues connecting in a WIFI dense area.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #168 on: August 25, 2015, 12:38:05 PM »
If the 22wl connection got interrupted before it finished and tried to switch to another connection in the area, maybe the upgrade didn't fully install? 

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #169 on: August 25, 2015, 01:18:24 PM »
I performed the upgrade off-line by copying the files directly to the 22WL's Utility folder via a USB connection from my computer.  Then disconnected the USB, turned the unit off and then after playing finger Twister for the correct key combination turn it back on and performed the upgrade.  All seemed to go smoothly and correctly.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #170 on: August 25, 2015, 02:50:20 PM »
Needless to say, I won't be upgrading mine after reading about the difficulty you've experienced.  Thank you for the warning. 

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #171 on: August 27, 2015, 12:35:05 PM »
Apologies for my laziness in not reading all 12 pages of material before this, but I wanted to ask a few basic questions, apologies if already covered:

1. I assume that '4 channel' means 2 of the channels will always be the internal mics, plus whatever goes into the XLRs.
2. Do the XLRs not have phantom power (I think I just read that)? That's actually OK for this purpose for me as I want to run SBD + internals
3. Is that 3.5hr battery life true if just running SBD + internals, no phantom (assuming there is any)?

If all I want is SBD+internals, is there something else cheap that does this?  I believe the DR-40 would be my best bet (which I've already owned) though I never actually tried SBD+internals with it....
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2015, 03:48:08 PM »
http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/specifications/

this link compares the 22wl (2 channels) and the 44wl (4 channels).

1.  Not sure of correct answer to your first question.
2.  The 44wl has phantom power for the xlrs, but if you have to run your SBD in through the XLRs (and not sure of answer to that since its tied to the first question), then you wouldn't be able to use phantom power on the XLRs. 
3.  The link shows the claimed battery life; I don't have a 44wl to tell you about what the battery life is. 

they've flipflopped on prices so much that I don't pretend to be current on the deals right now, but my impression is that a 70d would be in the same price ballpark of the 44wl, would give you two internal mics, and 4 xlr inputs with phantom power.  The thread on the 70d is so long at this point that it has pretty well been figured out by now.  Can't really think of any 44wl owners that I recall posting about it on TS so far. 

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2015, 06:10:49 PM »
DR-22WL firmware version 1.20 was released today as well as a new version of the DR-Control iOS app.  I assume there is a new Android version too or will be soon.

Here is a link to the release notes: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/860/e_dr-22wl_rn_vf.pdf
And to the downloads page: http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/downloads/

The update went very smooth for me and I didn't have any of the WiFi issues that I was seeing with 1.14.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2015, 10:53:53 PM »
I updated mine yesterday and I'm sure the release notes were, at that time, for the previous version - I'll have to check now as to which version I've actually got!  I was probably the last person to download the previous version.

I got my DR-22WL out of the cupboard in order to record a short presentation my wife had to give off the cuff - it was pretty handy to be able to set up the recorder in front of her, then operate it from the armchair the other side of the room so that I didn't distract her I was fiddling with the controls.  Then for playback I streamed the recording across to the phone which in turn was connected to the lounge hifi by bluetooth which made it easy to check the recording in good quality.

Overall I remain of the opinion that this particular recorder doesn't have much advantage over the alternatives if you don't have a use case for the wifi control, but if you do, it's in a class of its own and pretty good value for money too.

Good to see that Tascam are still releasing firmware and software updates for it.

[Edited to add that the Android app has been updated and now includes a function which is completely new to me -

"- You can now use a XRI(eXtended Recording Information) function. To use this feature, the DR unit firmware update is required.
Equipped with XRI (eXtended Recording Information) functionality that embeds GPS information and settings information in the recording file."

The handy thing is you can update the device firmware using the phone app, with a couple of taps.  So now I'll update the app, then the phone, and investigate XRI!]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:57:34 PM by Ozpeter »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #175 on: September 10, 2015, 12:20:08 AM »
http://tascam.com/news/display/2458/

"TASCAM has updated the revolutionary DR-44WL and DR-22WL portable recorders with Wi-Fi to Version 1.2. The free upgrade introduces several new features, including XRI -Extended Recording Information with GPS coordinates, auto markers around overloaded recordings, and other useful features.

XRI is TASCAM ‘s exclusive Extended Recording Information feature. When enabled, XRI saves information to the Broadcast WAVE file detailing how it was recorded. The file includes information on which input source was used, the gain setting, and whether the limiter or low cut filter was engaged. In addition, you can save GPS tagging in your recordings, passed through Wi-Fi from your smartphone.

Another new feature in version 1.2 writes a marker two seconds before any detected peak in your recording. This makes it easy to look for trouble spots in your DAW, and is especially helpful when editing together recordings made with dual recording mode. A protect feature has been added to keep selected files from being mistakenly deleted, several marker modes have been added, and the gain knob taper has been adjusted."

This is pretty cool stuff in the context of a budget recorder, no? 

As far as I can see from Google, this XRI thing is only so far implemented on these WL series recorders - perhaps it will be extended to others in their range too.  Is the auto-marking of peaks also a first for Tascam?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2015, 09:23:14 AM »
This is the first I've heard of saving the xri information or the peaks. 

The 22wl would be good for lecture recordings.  You don't get a chance to preset levels so the ability of the 22wl to be positioned near the speaker and the ability to change levels via WiFi at the 22wl price point has no equal. 

Other than the few of us in this thread, doesn't seem a favorite at TS, though.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2015, 12:21:35 AM »
or me reading all this made me decide I did not want one and I actually located a new DR-2D which means I have 3.  That should hold me for a few hundred more shows at least.  I don't need the bells and whistles.

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2017, 09:57:44 PM »
Warning: long post...I'm bumping this old thread to add my latest experiences:

I picked one of these up a couple of months ago. I already have a decent recorder, but wanted to experiment with the WiFi control for  >:D. When I first tried it, I could not get it to connect no matter what I tried on my Android device running Nougat. I believe I have figured out what the issue is and wanted to share in case it could help others.

On the Tascam DR CONTROL's FAQs page (http://tascam.com/product/dr_control/faqs/), it says that some Android devices won't connect properly unless you turn off a setting called "Avoid No Internet Connections." My phone doesn't have this setting. So, I started searching around for clues and discovered that even though that setting isn't on my phone, it still will never receive an IP address from the recorder because the recorder's router is not connected to the Internet! Technical details here: https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/131132/force-marshmallow-to-keep-a-wi-fi-without-internet-access

I haven't tried the shell command referenced in the stackexchange post yet, but I was able to discover another way that works for me. I figured that since my cellular data connection was providing Internet connectivity, it might be part of the issue. I turned off my cellular data (Settings > Data usage > Cellular data) and BOOM the app was able to connect to the recorder every time. Obviously not an ideal solution, but I almost never need to use my phone's cellular data during a show anyway.

I plan to try the shell command eventually, and will post anything interesting here.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2017, 06:51:48 AM »
Warning: long post...I'm bumping this old thread to add my latest experiences:

I picked one of these up a couple of months ago. I already have a decent recorder, but wanted to experiment with the WiFi control for  >:D. When I first tried it, I could not get it to connect no matter what I tried on my Android device running Nougat. I believe I have figured out what the issue is and wanted to share in case it could help others.

On the Tascam DR CONTROL's FAQs page (http://tascam.com/product/dr_control/faqs/), it says that some Android devices won't connect properly unless you turn off a setting called "Avoid No Internet Connections." My phone doesn't have this setting. So, I started searching around for clues and discovered that even though that setting isn't on my phone, it still will never receive an IP address from the recorder because the recorder's router is not connected to the Internet! Technical details here: https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/131132/force-marshmallow-to-keep-a-wi-fi-without-internet-access

I haven't tried the shell command referenced in the stackexchange post yet, but I was able to discover another way that works for me. I figured that since my cellular data connection was providing Internet connectivity, it might be part of the issue. I turned off my cellular data (Settings > Data usage > Cellular data) and BOOM the app was able to connect to the recorder every time. Obviously not an ideal solution, but I almost never need to use my phone's cellular data during a show anyway.

I plan to try the shell command eventually, and will post anything interesting here.

Hmmm...not sure - I run my Behringer digital mixers on internet-less networks with Android devices frequently and never have issues like that. (but Im using an external router)

The Stackoverflow article mentions - the "avoid poor wi-fi connections" setting.

Perhaps the internet-less recorder looks like a "poor wi-fi connection" - and avoids it in favor of the cell/data connection. (that seems to be the effect you are getting)

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #180 on: April 20, 2017, 10:53:12 AM »
That's interesting...maybe the external router provides you with an IP address? You can see that on the advanced wifi dialog on my version of Android. In the case of this recorder, it will not actually provide my phone with an IP address because of the behavior described in the stackexchange article.

I have an update: I did run the command referenced in that stackexchange article, and it did solve the issue entirely (even with my cellular data connection on).

I already had root access to my phone, which is a requirement for the mod. If you've got root access but are stuck on how to do this, let me know and I'll post the procedure I used.

I also intend to send something to Tascam support. I am hopeful that they can use my experience to update the firmware and/or app to deal with Android's behavior. On the app review page, I see lots of other people who can't connect the app to the recorder, and I am thinking this is why.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #181 on: April 20, 2017, 11:12:29 AM »
I have only used iOS...no problems connecting

Thanks for hunting down this Android bug
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #182 on: April 20, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »
Man, I wish the DR70 had WiFi.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2017, 07:03:10 PM »
OK, one more update to set the record straight: in my last post, I said that the command referenced in the stackexchange post worked. After doing some more testing, I have discovered that it didn't work for me. The post does have a response saying it doesn't work in Nougat, which is what I'm running. I think I may have had the cellular data off when I ran the command? Turning off cellular still does allow me to connect every time.

I did write to Tascam support describing my experience, but no reply yet. If I get a meaningful response, I'll post something here.

It's fun to finally be able to play around with this thing and use the remote feature. FYI, there is a recent firmware update (2.10) that adds an 'erase format function' that 'might improve write speeds'  :) and some fixes for the divide function and 'stability'. So far, it's been solid for me. Seems like they might have changed the UI/font since the last version? They posted a new reference manual at the same time, so it's a pretty substantial update.

My next testing will be to see what kind of battery life I will get with the WiFi on using NiMH batteries. I think I read in the manual or in this thread that it will shut down the Wifi if the battery gets low, but keep recording. I typically only check levels for the first couple of songs and then leave them alone. I guess I could turn off the WiFi by feel (the button feels much different than the rest).

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #184 on: December 29, 2017, 06:36:56 PM »
New firmware release (2.11) out at http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/downloads/

Fixes in version 2.11
- During playback of certain MP3 files, searching/backward would cause the counter to change, but the playback sound would be from the beginning of the file. This has been fixed.
- The contents of folders with names that included certain characters could not be referenced. This has been fixed.
- If an unformatted card was loaded into the unit while its power was on, when the "Format Error/Format Card Are you sure?" message appeared, an execution button to allow formatting did not appear on the display. This has been fixed.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2020, 10:33:29 PM »
Lockdown gives plenty of opportunities to heave out old stuff and try to find a use for it.  In the case of my DR-22WL which hadn't seen the light of day for, er, several years, I've come up with a neat use (well, it works for me).

I've got the recorder connected to an amp line output in my man cave.  That amp has inputs from all sorts of sources including my PC and a chromecast audio integrated with whole-house audio and a digital radio, etc etc.  I've got the output connected to a spare input on the amp. I've connected the recorder to the network adapter about a foot away, a good strong signal.  Now using my phone (or other Android or iOS device) I can fire up the Tascam app from anywhere in the house, and whatever I'm hearing I can recordon the DR-22WL.  Then I can stream the recording back to the phone which can be hooked up to the lounge amp by bluetooth.  The same phone can remote control sources from the elsewhere in the house (by other apps) eg turn on the digital radio and select desired station.

Will I use this facility much?  Well, probably not but it's fun and it's there if required.  The recorder is powered via USB (from a desk lamp as it happens) and it seems to hold the wireless connection to the access point indefinitely.  It might as well just sit there on a corner of my desk ready to record at any moment than sit unused in a drawer.

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2020, 04:35:58 PM »
Lockdown gives plenty of opportunities to heave out old stuff and try to find a use for it.  In the case of my DR-22WL which hadn't seen the light of day for, er, several years, I've come up with a neat use (well, it works for me).

I've got the recorder connected to an amp line output in my man cave.  That amp has inputs from all sorts of sources including my PC and a chromecast audio integrated with whole-house audio and a digital radio, etc etc.  I've got the output connected to a spare input on the amp. I've connected the recorder to the network adapter about a foot away, a good strong signal.  Now using my phone (or other Android or iOS device) I can fire up the Tascam app from anywhere in the house, and whatever I'm hearing I can recordon the DR-22WL.  Then I can stream the recording back to the phone which can be hooked up to the lounge amp by bluetooth.  The same phone can remote control sources from the elsewhere in the house (by other apps) eg turn on the digital radio and select desired station.

Will I use this facility much?  Well, probably not but it's fun and it's there if required.  The recorder is powered via USB (from a desk lamp as it happens) and it seems to hold the wireless connection to the access point indefinitely.  It might as well just sit there on a corner of my desk ready to record at any moment than sit unused in a drawer.

Imagine showing this post to someone in 2000. What a world!
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #187 on: May 31, 2020, 08:21:23 AM »
Indeed.  "We had all that technology - and we were brought to our knees by a tiny virus".

Actually, your comment reminds me obliquely of the occasion back in the 1990's when I was asked to go to Yehudi Menuhin's house in London to record him talking about his early days recording violin music.  He related how playing back the wax disc to check the sound balance would destroy it due to the wear of the needle, so they used to have to hope that there were no wrong notes in the final recorded performance as they couldn't listen to it afterwards.  He also described travelling across the USA as a child prodigy and their car being shot up by hoodlums along the way.  As I packed up my gear I remarked to him that it was quite something to record those memories of the early days of sound recording, using a modern portable DAT machine.  And of course, that's olde worlde itself now.  Time flies.

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #188 on: October 03, 2021, 08:43:50 PM »
Picked up one of these earlier in the year on Amazon, seemed like a deal for ~100 USD with an app that can operate the recorder. I'm actually a little late to the party, it seems like this would have been good for low profile taping. Only problem is I used it 3 times and really think it's cumbersome. I love the idea of the app but in reality it's almost even more conspicuous than just taking out and looking at the recorder because of my iphone screen. Even at low brightness I feel like it's pretty obvious. I also had a 50/50 chance of the app working or not. A couple times it worked no problem but the other times it would freeze up during recording. It didn't lose recordings when it happened but still frustrating to deal with in the moment. The battery life is also poor, I'm guessing because of the wifi app. I used brand new AAs each time and by 30-40 minutes the battery was down to 2/3, not really ideal for low profile taping when you don't want to be changing batteries a bunch. Great concept, but I think I'll just be sticking to my DR-2D.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.71 seconds with 214 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com