Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]

<< < (3/17) > >>

2manyrocks:
I don't have a youtube account to post a comment to ask him. 

Jonmac:

--- Quote from: 2manyrocks on December 19, 2015, 03:39:47 PM ---I don't have a youtube account to post a comment to ask him.

--- End quote ---

I asked the question for you, the longest take he did was 20 minutes, and found a drift of about 1 frame in lip sync over that period.

voltronic:

--- Quote from: Jonmac on December 20, 2015, 07:38:51 AM ---
--- Quote from: 2manyrocks on December 19, 2015, 03:39:47 PM ---I don't have a youtube account to post a comment to ask him.

--- End quote ---

I asked the question for you, the longest take he did was 20 minutes, and found a drift of about 1 frame in lip sync over that period.

--- End quote ---

My understanding of TC is pretty rudimentary, but that response seems pretty contradictory to what he stated in his video.  5 seconds of drift seems really horrible if in fact his test was valid.  Sure you could just leave your TC source (probably a camera) connected, but you shouldn't be locked into that scenario to keep your audio and video synced - you should be able to jam it and take your camera somewhere else.  I think the jury may still be out on TC until we see a more thorough test.

Another interesting bit mentioned around 17:30 is the menu structure: It now is organized as 18 pages of menus, in contrast to the sometimes confusing sub-menus of the 70D.  I'm not sure that's really an improvement.

So far I think the F8 looks like a much better value than this unit, even at $400 more.  I would not upgrade to one of these over my 70D, but then again my 70D is modified with opamps that look almost identical in specs to those used in the 701D so I'm thinking the sound quality between the modded 70D and stock 701D would be pretty similar.  The new 701D opamps are certainly an upgrade over those in the stock 70D though.  Of course, I realize there is more to a good preamp design than the opamps, but it's the one element Tascam made a point to mention in their marketing for the 701D.

For comparison, here are PDF data sheets of the opamps I'm referring to:

TI OPA1652 used in 701D
TI LME49720 used in the JWmod for 70D
TI NE5532 used in the stock 70D

Jonmac:
I think he was describing the error in the inbuilt time code clock when not externally synced, this wouldn't effect the timing stability of the recorded file, just the accuracy of the embedded time code data in the file.

That would make it difficult for editing software to automatically align picture and sound.

2manyrocks:

--- Quote from: Jonmac on December 20, 2015, 07:38:51 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Thank you. 

With respect to the reviewer, my 60d drifts from my canon camcorder only a few miliseconds over 75 minutes of recording in my testing without any timecode.  I would have wanted to see a test of longer duration to tell us how well the 701d holds sync over an hour or two.   If the TC drifts, I don't see the benefit of spending $599.   

I'm glad Voltronic mentioned the 18 pages of menu.  That got my attention, too. 

Think I'll wait for longer term reviews of the F8 and the 701d to see what develops in normal use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version