Gear / Technical Help > Photo / Video Recording

Synch 3 video parts with 1 separate audio track: free software

<< < (2/5) > >>

sabre:
Davinci Resolve can join your multiple videos together and you can also sync an external audio recording to it as well.

Just check YouTube for some tutorials

Join clips
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=davinci+resolve+join+two+clips

Sync separate audio track
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=davinci+resolve+sync+audio+and+video

guitard:

--- Quote from: juliocruz on January 03, 2021, 07:11:23 PM ---I record concerts with a camera, but you can only record up to 30 minutes continuously. I also have to switch batteries after about 1 hour, so after a concert I normally end up with 3 video parts. I record audio separately, so I have 1 separate audio track. Is there free video editing software with which it is easy to synch the 3 video parts with the 1 separate audio track? I would like to leave the separate audio as it is, so prefer that the screen goes black between the video clips. I read a bout Davinci Resolve, but don't know if this software could synch my 3 video parts with my 1 separate audio track. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance!

--- End quote ---

I always manipulate the audio to sync to the video.  For the missing parts between clips -- you can use snippets of video from elsewhere during the show or a series of still shots.  Sometimes I take a clip of one of the musicians doing something like head banging and create a slo-mo version and overlay that over the black screen.  There are a few other 'tricks' you can use to cover up the blank spots.  I like doing that so there is something there for people to watch during those parts.

voltronic:

--- Quote from: sabre on January 05, 2021, 03:58:54 AM ---Davinci Resolve can join your multiple videos together and you can also sync an external audio recording to it as well.

Just check YouTube for some tutorials

Join clips
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=davinci+resolve+join+two+clips

Sync separate audio track
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=davinci+resolve+sync+audio+and+video

--- End quote ---

I use Resolve. It is a full-out professional video NLE for free. The Elastic Wave function in the Fairlight Audio module also works quite well if you need to do some time-stretching.

jerryfreak:

--- Quote from: guitard on January 09, 2021, 10:51:42 AM ---I always manipulate the audio to sync to the video.  For the missing parts between clips -- you can use snippets of video from elsewhere during the show or a series of still shots.  Sometimes I take a clip of one of the musicians doing something like head banging and create a slo-mo version and overlay that over the black screen.  There are a few other 'tricks' you can use to cover up the blank spots.  I like doing that so there is something there for people to watch during those parts.

--- End quote ---

thats a good tip.

in my experience clock drift isnt that big of a deal when synching video to audio (not nearly as much as combining two audio sources where slight timing differences can result in massive phase shift and echo)

most modern clocks, while unique in their timing, are generally consistent enough that an hour long audio and video clip can be synched at the beginning and end and the audio stretched accordingly (basically a very slight resample), and then matched up

i try to get a very loud transient like a clap at beginning and end to synch with

guitard:

--- Quote from: jerryfreak on January 09, 2021, 06:20:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: guitard on January 09, 2021, 10:51:42 AM ---I always manipulate the audio to sync to the video.  For the missing parts between clips -- you can use snippets of video from elsewhere during the show or a series of still shots.  Sometimes I take a clip of one of the musicians doing something like head banging and create a slo-mo version and overlay that over the black screen.  There are a few other 'tricks' you can use to cover up the blank spots.  I like doing that so there is something there for people to watch during those parts.

--- End quote ---

thats a good tip.

in my experience clock drift isnt that big of a deal when synching video to audio (not nearly as much as combining two audio sources where slight timing differences can result in massive phase shift and echo)

most modern clocks, while unique in their timing, are generally consistent enough that an hour long audio and video clip can be synched at the beginning and end and the audio stretched accordingly (basically a very slight resample), and then matched up

i try to get a very loud transient like a clap at beginning and end to synch with

--- End quote ---

In syncing concert videos - the drummer is your friend.  So I love guys like Charlie Watts, who plays a minimalist kit.  Of course, I also love Neil Peart - but not for syncing purposes because it can be hard to see him at times behind the wall of drums.

With modern recording equipment, I still get a bit of drift.  But we're usually talking a 1/10th of a second for an hour of video.  So it literally takes only a few seconds to fix that.  But you HAVE to fix it, because even though a 1/10th of a second doesn't sound like much -- it's the difference between the drummer holding his drum stick up above his head in the video when it should be hitting the drum - and the stick hitting a drum on time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version