Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

V3 questions

<< < (3/5) > >>

willndmb:

--- Quote from: JackoRoses on October 21, 2021, 07:48:08 AM ---nothing better>? that seems really pricey for what it is.
time for a spot welder

--- End quote ---
cheaper ones are usb out, I believe the v3 needs a “ring/tip” connector

wforwumbo:
Got a few questions about powering the V3 I recently got on YS.

Is there a way for me to figure out if my V3 is 6V or 12V? Or can I run it under either, so long as there is enough current? I was under the impression I might need to swap a jumper on the power board to switch between 6/12V, but the comments in this thread and the fact I didn’t see a labeled jumper when I popped the lid off have me questioning that.

tim in jersey:

--- Quote from: wforwumbo on December 04, 2021, 11:57:01 AM ---Got a few questions about powering the V3 I recently got on YS.

Is there a way for me to figure out if my V3 is 6V or 12V? Or can I run it under either, so long as there is enough current? I was under the impression I might need to swap a jumper on the power board to switch between 6/12V, but the comments in this thread and the fact I didn’t see a labeled jumper when I popped the lid off have me questioning that.

--- End quote ---

https://www.gracedesign.com/support/manuals/v3_manual_RevE_online.pdf

rocksuitcase:

--- Quote from: tim in jersey on December 04, 2021, 01:35:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: wforwumbo on December 04, 2021, 11:57:01 AM ---Got a few questions about powering the V3 I recently got on YS.

--- End quote ---

https://www.gracedesign.com/support/manuals/v3_manual_RevE_online.pdf

--- End quote ---
That link is so old, the main number for Grace is incorrect. I had to call them this morning and I used your link to get the number. Sooooo, for anyone's info, here is the current, 2021 DEC info:
https://gracedesign.com/contact
Main Phone Line

+1 (303) 823-8100      xt 105 for service

Gutbucket:

--- End quote ---

Congrats, it's a great preamp. 

There are 2 labeled jumpers on the board (see manual linked above). I'm not sure they do anything other than perhaps adjust the V3's built-in in battery metering, but I'm only speculating so don't take that as gospel. The manual does warn against changing them without contacting the factory first, so maybe more to it.  The V3's built-in metering was intended for old-school SLA battery systems and is no longer needed with modern batteries like the Talentcell that have their own metering built-in, and different chemistry and discharge characteristics.  Best to just forget the V3 battery meter is even there.

Main thing to know about is a detail about the power input.  The center split-pin of the power cable will at some point become slightly loose in its contact socket.  When that occurs, screwing down the connector more firmly actually aggravates the power-intermittency problem rather than helping to eliminate it, because doing so centers the center pin more perfectly in its loose contact socket.  The fix is to gently spread the split pin a bit to achieve good contact again.  It will then, in my experience, work fine for many years.  If that were to ever occur in the field while recording where you need to remedy it ASAP, loosen the connector slightly and gaff tape the cable so that it pulls to one side slightly instead of being perfectly centered and the preamp should run fine the remainder of the night.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version